Do men and women have a different sense of humour? Page 12

Quote: AJGO @ May 21 2012, 5:28 PM BST

SORT OF CANDLE SHAPED!! What is so difficult? Bloody men.

And I wasn't crying, it was hayfever.

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

Quote: AJGO @ May 21 2012, 5:28 PM BST

SORT OF CANDLE SHAPED!! What is so difficult? Bloody men.

And I wasn't crying, it was hayfever.

You know that's just what the author meant about self referential, self deprecatory humour.

Sootyj makes an aggressive joke about the opposition being homos.

Gets swept to victory to the tune of "We are the Champingions!"

Quote: sootyj @ May 21 2012, 11:30 PM BST

You know that's just what the author meant about self referential, self deprecatory humour.

Do you really think so?

Oh yes.

It is indeed.

There is a place for self referential and self deprecatory.

But not in meetings.

Meetings are war.

And Sootyj is a barbarian field marshal.

As can be seen in his comical exaggeration.

But it can't have been, because RC laughed, and that would render this study untrue.

RC maybe the most sensitive feminine soul I have encountered

Quote: Tursiops @ May 21 2012, 10:25 AM BST

It is certainly true that some of the female senior managers I have worked with have been known to respond to attempts at humour with the same blank expression as a dog being shown a card trick - unless of course said attempt came from a more senior male manager, in which case they would giggle and flutter their eyelids like a schoolgirl, provided of course that others present had provided the cue by dutifully laughing.

But I am afraid that if the same female managers were assaying self-deprecatory humour themselves, then it must have been too subtle for my male brain to register. The subtext of most of what they had to say seemed to be more along the lines of, "me, me and, more particularly and importantly, me".

None of this, I should hasten to add, is true for less exalted female colleagues; and, here is the thing: whilst in the past senior male managers tended to be clubbable, affable coves skilled at putting subordinates at their ease - though no less ruthless and backstabbing for that - increasingly I am finding that these old school types are being replaced by humourless, dead-eyed drones whose clumsy attempts at light banter send a chill through to the marrow.

So what I am thinking is that, it is not so much that women have a different boardroom sense of humour to men, as that, having, as a result of positive discrimination, been promoted younger, it has been the female of the species who has been at the forefront of the rise of the lizard people who are inexorably taking control of our planet.

I couldn't agree with you more. One such manager I had was quite proud of having no sense of humour, and would remind us constantly 'Was that a joke? I don't do jokes' was her favourite.

She also insisted on pronouncing all eurpoean cities in their natural tongue, but couldn't point to Glasgow on a map. Upper class twit!

I'm not wading through 12 pages to see if this has already been said, but a quick look at the 14,000 'What do you look for in a man?' quizzes in women's magazines over the last 30 years has 'Sense of humour' out in front by some distance....

(The same magazines always have women claiming to have had 3 sexual partners in their surveys whilst men always claim 12 which, to be honest, is a bit of a mathematical problem)

...and yet most women seem to be drawn to men who are 'fit' and/or complete bastards.

This leads me to conclude that the ideal 'comedy night' for most women would be a load of Chippendales 'flicking the Vs' at them.

Actually, it's not that much of a mathematical problem......

Women are halving their numbers and men are doubling theirs...which means that everybody has had 6 sexual partners in their lives though I have had tonnes more and I'm not even including 'tops and fingers' in my stats.

Quote: Jinky @ May 22 2012, 11:33 PM BST

...and yet most women seem to be drawn to men who are 'fit' and/or complete bastards.

Are they though? How many women do you know who are actually going out with extremely good looking men? And how many women do you know who are actually with complete bastards?

Lol.
I know one woman who went out with an absolute psycho (for a while). Apart from that, zero.

Quote: zooo @ May 22 2012, 11:36 PM BST

Are they though? How many women do you know who are actually going out with extremely good looking men?

One. My girlfriend. Whistling nnocently

She's two timing you? But at least it's with someone cute.

Quote: sootyj @ May 23 2012, 10:25 AM BST

She's two timing you? But at least it's with someone cute.

Definitely not you then?

I would like zooo to explain herself though; after all, she's clearly chosen a very good looking man, no?

Well obbbbviously we don't count the boyfriends on this site. They are all handsome bastards, which should go without saying!