Mrs. Brown's Boys - Series 2 Page 2

Quote: Lee Henman @ January 25 2012, 1:35 AM GMT

Much of the same.

A lot of the jokes need carbon-dating, the stories are a bit predictable, much of the swearing's unnecessary and some of the acting's wonky, but despite all that I still really like it. You can't argue with O' Carroll's energy, he's an absolute joy to watch, even if some of the lines are circa 1975.
I think you just have to watch it for what it is. That is to say a big, silly, brash panto that somehow happened to make it onto our telly screens. It's not fashionable but then neither are these brown Paisley y-fronts I'm wearing. They're comfy though.

Pantos should stick to once a year! I don't pay my licence fee to get crusty stale old pants programmes!

Quote: dellas @ January 29 2012, 4:57 AM GMT

Pantos should stick to once a year! I don't pay my licence fee to get crusty stale old pants programmes!

I don't pay my licence fee to get shit like Strictly Come Dancing, MasterChef and The Voice UK pumped at my television set. But for some reason some people like them, no one's forcing me to watch them, and that's not how the licence fee works.

:P OK Aaron, I was meaning 'comedy' programmes your choices were semi-talent show things.

To be frank I only watch 1 prog' a week on BBC, and yes it was 'Strictly Come Dancing'.

Well, you think of your licence fee going to Strictly Come Dancing, and I'll think of mine going to Mrs. Brown's Boys then. Deal? :)

Yes it's a deal, nice to agree for a change!

My dad sent me a text saying:

'alright mate! chk out mrs browns boys! bbc comedy like early fthr td trust me! boing boing'

Should I trust him?

Worth a watch?

Does your dad normally send you texts spelt like that? It's probably some sort of credit card hacking scam...

Dan

Boing boing?

Mrs Brown's Boys has never reminded me of Father Ted I must say, but you may as well give it a go!

Quote: swerytd @ January 30 2012, 10:37 AM GMT

Does your dad normally send you texts spelt like that? It's probably some sort of credit card hacking scam...

Dan

Yeah, my dad's texts do sort of remind me of some interesting emails I got from the widow of the late Nigerian president.

I thought the series wasn't as good as the first one. But friend thought it was the best thing on all year! Don't know why . http://youthsarebad.blogspot.com/ but then again that's his favourite site. It's pretty good not sure whether it's meant to be serious or not though .

This show is alright and I do find myself laughing at it despite myself. I really enjoy the 'unscripted' and corpsing moments.

My favourite was when the phone rang in one episode and Agnes said it was for one of the crew.

I liked this particularly because from writing classes I rememeber being told about the comedy rule, 'rule of three' and O'Carroll offered the phone to the crew member 3 times.

It just tells me that Mrs Brown isn't accidental, if you know what I mean, and O'Carroll knows the basics and what he is doing. :D

I find Mrs. Brown's Boys much funnier than the similarly slapstick and for some reason adored Miranda.

I was pleased to see this win best sitcom at the BAFTAs. I know it's not to everyone's taste but it's certainly flying the flag for the return of mainstream audience comedy. And whatever you say about it, it's been an enormous hit with the viewers, if not with the critics. Personally I like its energy, if not some of the ancient jokes. We've had too much cynical comedy in recent years, it's great to see something colourful and fun winning awards.

Excellently put, Lee.

Quote: zooo @ January 23 2012, 10:05 PM GMT

The thread was closed because it was about Series 1. We're now on Series 2. :)

I think I missed Series 1 altogether so I'm looking forward to repeats. The 1st episode I saw had Grandad getting a bath in the kitchen sink ! Does anyone know which episode this was please ? ?

It looks like that's episode 2.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/mrs_browns_boys/episodes/1/2/