Keeping Up Appearances Page 2

No, he's never actually seen. Which I think, as David implies, would be a bit of a let-down. With only hearing of him by telephone (and I think a couple of letters), there's always that kind of suspension of disbelief (is that what I mean?) that Hyacinth hasn't realised that he's (almost certainly, anyway) gay. If he appeared, he'd have to adhere to all of the characterisation that's been set out. Ie very stereotypically gay; makes his own curtains, silk pyjamas, tapestry, and all the rest. There'd be no way we could realistically be asked to believe that Hyacinth still sees him as no different to any other male, but keeping him in touch only by phone sustains the possibility that she really is just plain oblivious.

I too would like to hear jake hows opinion.

Hyacinth was a monstrous character - but fantastic.
Loved Onslo too.

I'd like to hear Jake's view. *Starts chant, "We want Jake".

Didn't someone mention the idea that Sheridan doesn't exist?

I LOVE that.

Well he's a fictional character in a television sitcom, so uhhh...

Oh shut up you.

Pleased

Wasn't one of Hyacinth's sisters also someone we only heard about, but then makes an appearance later on?

"It's my sister Violet! The one with a swimming pool, Mercedes and room for a pony".

That one! and her weird husband, Bruce. :S

Yeah, she was in a handful of episodes, but only fleeting appearances, never in conversation or any interaction with the main characters, as far as I can remember.

I enjoy it, in a light-hearted way.
Hyacinth is quite original characterisation, and it's a joy to watch everyone around her suffering, though you'd probably kill her if you were in Richard's position.
As for repetition, there are a finite number of plots in any area of literature, this is completely unavoidable. It's the content, or the flesh you put on the bones, that counts.

You did see sheridan oncde very briefly leaving in a taxi

I am a bit confused, I always thought Sheridan was a boys name but now I have met a girl called Sheridan, is it a bit like Lesley/Leslie?

Yes.

Quote: Mannikin Bird @ January 18, 2008, 5:58 PM

I am a bit confused, I always thought Sheridan was a boys name but now I have met a girl called Sheridan, is it a bit like Lesley/Leslie?

Who's Lesley Leslie?

Miss I-won-five-million trout pout?

(Jammy bitch. ... *books self into hospital*)