Is cyber stalking a real problem? Page 2

Quote: dellas @ February 7 2012, 9:51 AM GMT

Sooty that is very patronising indeed, I need time to recover from that rather thoughtless post. I Do have a valid point. Grrr Angry

But it wasn't patronising. You have misread it.
It was sound advice, except that being SootyJ he finished with a joke.

I suppose at times it bothers me that I may have to wipe most of my online persona due to work pressures.

Quote: billwill @ February 7 2012, 10:17 AM GMT

But it wasn't patronising. You have misread it.
It was sound advice, except that being SootyJ he finished with a joke.

Shucks Bill I always save the last dance for you.

Quote: chipolata @ February 7 2012, 10:12 AM GMT

Stalking's only a problem if you're some blabbermouth fool who reveals who you are and intimate details of your life to all and sundry.

It's true. I hear Chip's not even really a satsuma man.

Quote: dellas @ February 7 2012, 7:53 AM GMT

I do enjoy facebook/twitter but crikey don't feel too secure anymore.

Facebook is for morons. You are wasting your own time advertising other people's products for free. It is also hugely anti-social in that it takes time away from social-interaction in the real world and even stops you meeting new online friends because they can't know anything about you unless you let them.

It's fascist in conception and implementation and one of the biggest evils in the world today.

Twitter - ditto. No-one enjoys the sound of their own voice more than me and I'm not on twitter - let that be your example.

You're idea of social networking Godot involves an actual net!

You're idea of social networking Godot involves an actual net!

Dellas, yeah, it is a worry, but the way I look at is to not reveal anything that you wouldn't feel comfortable revealing in real life, so in effect a sort of self censoring....just imagine that everything you're writing is finding it's way back to the boss/ Vicar / your neighbours...shit, think I'll log off now.

Could I ask a genuine question...what is the point of facebook?
I don't use it and will never use it but I seem to function pretty well without it.
I have a telephone though. A landline and a mobile in fact (I'm quite modern) and if anyone wants to contact me they will use the phone. As for the people contacting me that don't have one of those numbers?...well, there's probably a reason they don't.

Quote: dellas @ February 7 2012, 8:11 AM GMT

Kenneth I'm not gay, I reveal I am a woman.

... watching 'Neighbours' and 'Home and Away'.

Have we got nothing in common?

Quote: rwayne @ February 7 2012, 11:09 AM GMT

Could I ask a genuine question...what is the point of facebook?
I don't use it and will never use it but I seem to function pretty well without it.
I have a telephone though. A landline and a mobile in fact (I'm quite modern) and if anyone wants to contact me they will use the phone. As for the people contacting me that don't have one of those numbers?...well, there's probably a reason they don't.

Well I have about 50 family members back home who I'd like to keep up to date with but not necessarily phone every day when I'm on my lunch break. Facebook is f**king lame, but it's the most popular.

Quote: Lee @ February 7 2012, 11:50 AM GMT

Well I have about 50 family members back home who I'd like to keep up to date with but not necessarily phone every day when I'm on my lunch break. Facebook is f**king lame, but it's the most popular.

I understand using it for that reason but how many people do use it for that?
I've had people show me it, and tell me how 'good' it is but I really just don't get it.
If someone really needs to go onto the internet to tell the world that they are "tired" or "going to have a cup of tea" that person really needs to have a think about their life.

Quote: rwayne @ February 7 2012, 11:57 AM GMT

I understand using it for that reason but how many people do use it for that?
I've had people show me it, and tell me how 'good' it is but I really just don't get it.
If someone really needs to go onto the internet to tell the world that they are "tired" or "going to have a cup of tea" that person really needs to have a think about their life.

True dat.

Quote: dellas @ February 7 2012, 7:33 AM GMT

info.

Also as I speak the morning news is all featuring this! Errr

I think dellas might be my Mum, as I've recently had the lecture about Facebook from her - people can see you, can see what you've written, know where you live...etc., etc.

And just like dellas, I received the lecture soon after she read / saw some bit of made up scaremongering by a bored journalist.

Now if dellas has been properly stalked in the past, then yeah, she should shut down everything and leave no clues on the net.

If this is just general paranoia, then she should get over it and wait for the next press panic about bird flu or immigrants or whatever.

Quote: Kenneth @ February 7 2012, 7:58 AM GMT

you could always take up cyber-stalking.

The hunter becomes the hunted. Or as dellas would say ...

'Methink it time to turn tables on me attackers.'

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ February 7 2012, 12:05 PM GMT

I think dellas might be my Mum, as I've recently had the lecture about Facebook from her - people can see you, can see what you've written, know where you live...etc., etc.

And just like dellas, I received the lecture soon after she read / saw some bit of made up scaremongering by a bored journalist.

Now if dellas has been properly stalked in the past, then yeah, she should shut down everything and leave no clues on the net.

If this is just general paranoia, then she should get over it and wait for the next press panic about bird flu or immigrants or whatever.

There speaks a man who likes the old fashioned way of sitting in a bush outside your house.

*Waves out of window*

You can always tell which bush he is in as it's the one where all the flowers around it have died from over-salting the earth.

Quote: Rooface @ February 7 2012, 12:08 PM GMT

There speaks a man who likes the old fashioned way of sitting in a bush outside your house.

*Waves out of window*

You can always tell which bush he is in as it's the one where all the flowers around it have died from over-salting the earth.

Ah, the good old days of stalking.... Although, your modern day savvy stalker will hide in a bush outside your house and use his smartphone to cyberstalk you at the same time and go for the double paranoia route.