The Sitcom Mission 2012 Page 29

Still in the process of writing mine. I'm about 6 pages in but last night I formulated an outline for the story so I finally know where I'm going with it. All I have to do is sit down an write it and make sure its funny and appealing and hopefully good. Oh and also make sure its not over or under 15 pages/minutes.

Is final draft an ok format to use and does it have to be specifically written in stage format?

Quote: Otterfox @ January 10 2012, 3:13 PM GMT

Still in the process of writing mine. I'm about 6 pages in but last night I formulated an outline for the story so I finally know where I'm going with it. All I have to do is sit down an write it and make sure its funny and appealing and hopefully good. Oh and also make sure its not over or under 15 pages/minutes.

Is final draft an ok format to use and does it have to be specifically written in stage format?

We've got FD7 so can't open Final Draft 8 scripts (and aren't keen to give them even more money). Stage format is fine.

Why not send PDFs? Your script will look the way you want it to and everybody will be able to open it.

And look up Celtx. I use it instead of Final Draft. Celtx is free and allows you to create pdf files.

Quote: evan rubivellian @ January 10 2012, 7:35 PM GMT

And look up Celtx. I use it instead of Final Draft. Celtx is free and allows you to create pdf files.

Celtx is excellent.

Great it looks like Celtx it is then. Thanks for the feedback guys.

Final Draft already has a save to PDF function built in, by the way.
Either under File or Print.
Just so you know.

Does this have to be like a proper little story, with a beginning and an end, or can it just be one long scene, say, in a pub?

Quote: catskillz @ January 11 2012, 5:02 AM GMT

Does this have to be like a proper little story, with a beginning and an end, or can it just be one long scene, say, in a pub?

Your script is a calling card. One of the skills you should be demonstrating to the comedy commissioners and production companies is the ability to craft a plot.

You also need to make sure that it's a self-contained plot (not just part of a longer sitcom), that ends satisfactorily but surprisingly.

It can be done.

The danger with having 'one long scene, say, in a pub' is that since nothing is happening plot-wise your characters end up talking about things that have already happened. It's a real trap. Imagine if Rodney told the story of Del Boy falling through the bar counter:

'...and then Mike lifted the flap and Del fell through it. Brilliant.'

Can't see that being played over and over on 'Comedy's Greatest Moments'.

Plots are involving. We stick around to find out what happens next. We strongly suggest that you have one.

OK, questions:

1) Is it still the same format of 12 minutes, then cliffhanger, then final 3 minutes staged only if chosen?

2) You say minimum props, but piccies of previous finalists show them with props such as costumes, etc. Does the writer have to supply any constumes required?

3) Is a sitcom guaranteed to be in the final if Simon is acting in it? :P

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ January 12 2012, 12:50 AM GMT

OK, questions:

1) Is it still the same format of 12 minutes, then cliffhanger, then final 3 minutes staged only if chosen?

No, that's The Sitcom Trials format, not the Sitcom Mission's. Different shows different rules. (Or were you being satirical?)

OK, questions:

2) You say minimum props, but piccies of previous finalists show them with props such as costumes, etc. Does the writer have to supply any constumes required?

Tricky isn't it?
If only there was a dirty great red banner at the top of the page with all the info.

Oh...

Another quick question for Simon or Declan...
Does "Entries received before 00.00 GMT on January 25, 2012" mean we need to submit before 23.59 on January 24th, or 23.59 on January 25th? I'm guessing the 24th, but these midnight deadlines always confuse me!! Whistling nnocently

Ok, it should be 23.59.59 GMT on 24 January.

Quote: Declan @ January 12 2012, 10:27 AM GMT

Ok, it should be 23.59.59 GMT on 24 January.

Thanks! I'll be pressing send at roughly 23.59.50 GMT on 24th Jan then!!

Quote: simon wright @ January 10 2012, 5:33 PM GMT

We've got FD7 so can't open Final Draft 8 scripts (and aren't keen to give them even more money). Stage format is fine.

Why not send PDFs? Your script will look the way you want it to and everybody will be able to open it.

Final Draft 8 can 'save as' FD7 (.fdr rather than .fdx)

2) We sourced the Tudor costumes for 'In the Meantime'. We felt that since we were silly enough to set it in Tudor times, we should shoulder that problem! Basically, there is NO budget for costume or props. If your ep won't work without a particular prop, someone has to make or buy it, and since your actors and director aren't being paid, it's not going to be them!

3) Probably worth writing him a cameo ;)