I read the news today oh boy! Page 620

Quote: Matthew Stott @ January 6 2012, 1:29 PM GMT

Sure, both of those things. You wash make-up off, you don't wash a (proper) tattoo off. Or bum implants. Or a face lift.

OK, but the reason I started saying that I think these things are not that extraordinary is because the sanity of people who have cosmetic surgery was being questioned. You've said that you think such behaviour is "different and extreme". Well I agree, it's certainly a more extreme form of cosmetics, and yes it can be more permanent (although the effects of collagen fade, tattoos can be removed and silcone implants removed), but unless you think these people are a bit mad, then I'm not sure what point are you trying to make.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ January 6 2012, 1:57 PM GMT

I quite agree and every time I thought Hackney was a bit rough, I went to places like Tottenham and Deptford and realised that it's really not all that bad.

Of course, a woman found stabbed to death in the back of an abandoned car this week just off Queensbridge road doesn't help to dispel the Hackney image.

People sadly get killed everywhere. Most of Hackney is a bit rough, I live on the former murder mile and I do feel unsafe walking at night by myself but then I probably would, or should, anywhere. If our representative in the actual government of the whole country and society thinks we're violent pikeys then that's how people start to see themselves, and they get nervous, and that's mostly when trouble starts. Does the black teenage guy who held the door open for me yesterday get any credit for good manners? Does the young woman in a burkha who works in a nearby shop who's really friendly get told by the media that she's an asset to her community? Do they f**k.

Quote: Nogget @ January 6 2012, 2:29 PM GMT

OK, but the reason I started saying that I think these things are not that extraordinary is because the sanity of people who have cosmetic surgery was being questioned. You've said that you think such behaviour is "different and extreme". Well I agree, it's certainly a more extreme form of cosmetics, and yes it can be more permanent (although the effects of collagen fade, tattoos can be removed and silcone implants removed), but unless you think these people are a bit mad, then I'm not sure what point are you trying to make.

The point was just in response to a post of yours; just that one thing is obviously more extreme than the other, and gets more weird and extreme the further down that line you go. And sure, I think people who start getting obsessed with surgeons smashing up and rearranging their faces are a touch on the mad side.

How do you know they're not the same person?

Quote: zooo @ January 6 2012, 1:40 PM GMT

Bob Holness died.

I cry now. :(

Aww. I, along with a random selection of other bright but slightly oddball sixformers, auditioned for Blockbusters back in eighties when it was still a concept. The girl who made it onto the show said he was a nice bloke who did his best to put them at ease.

He was also James Bond but he didn't play the sax solo on Baker Street.

Quote: sootyj @ January 6 2012, 2:37 PM GMT

How do you know they're not the same person?

Me? Harhar. I take it that's not a genuine question.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ January 6 2012, 2:36 PM GMT

. And sure, I think people who start getting obsessed with surgeons smashing up and rearranging their faces are a touch on the mad side.

I agree, because obsession is a recognised mental disorder.

Sad to here of Bob Holness's death, I liked his easy going charm which was either very genuine or extremely professional.

Interesting how presenters like him had a following among younger people because was an adult that didn't patronise his audience or try and get down with the kids and was admired even more for it.

In my childhood Chris Kelly who presented Clapperboard was a similar kind of character and in a different style so was Tarrant and the Tiswas team.
Refreshing contrast to the BBC's patronising paternalist Blue Peter type presenters of the day.

Holness was also regarded as a better Bond than Barry Nelson.

;) Still love Blue Peter, Bob Ta ta x

Ahh, this is where you all are -- I've posted about Bob in '2012 Snuff It Stakes'.

For those not FB friends with Bussell, here is my tribute -

Which BH has milk bottles piling up on his doorstep?

I really liked Bob Holness (believe it or not) and now I hope he is enjoying a Gold Run straight to heaven.

They are making a new series of Blockbusters very soon, and I was wishing that Bob could reprise his role, now he definitely can't. :(
I don't know who's going to be the new host, someone awful I expect. But hopefully the show will have a similar feel, not be all souped up and changed.

Quote: zooo @ January 6 2012, 1:40 PM GMT

Bob Holness died.

Aww, I've been watching some old Blockbusters on Challenge recently. RIP Bob.

I've always hated Blockbusters. It had plummy sounding sixth-formers with shitty little mascots.

I have the board game somewhere. I think I had the Jim'll Fix It one too (with crappy plastic medal). Collector's items now surely? ;)