I read the news today oh boy! Page 616

Quote: chipolata @ January 5 2012, 3:24 PM GMT

This is a bit harsh and judgemental even for you, zooo! Anybody who has plastic surgery is a moron? If somebody is unhappy with their big nose or banana chin why not get it fixed if it makes them happier? Where's the harm?

Chip was never happy when the kids at school called him 'Mr Punch'.

Quote: zooo @ January 5 2012, 3:40 PM GMT

I think it's fair to say that using makeup and changing your hair colour is just a continuation of generations' worth of tradition. I also think it's fair to say cosmetic surgery is pushing all the way out of Normal Behaviour and into self obsessed, unhealthy and dangerous behaviour (dangerous both emotionally and physically).

Who are we to say that applying make up isn't self obsession, but more extreme stuff is? It's all various degrees of the same thing, IMO.
As I say, peoples have been physically changing their bodies in weird ways throughout history.

Make-up can carry health risks, too.

Quote: zooo @ January 5 2012, 3:12 PM GMT

I am probably wrong (I can't be bothered to check), but weren't you one of the many just on the fancying thread saying ew that normal girl's ugly, look at this one wearing almost no clothes with a more acceptably sexy body, simulating sex with this banister. She's a proper woman... ;)

I was obviously being ironic. Whistling nnocently

(In all honesty, men will have sex with just about anything - animals, electrical appliances, Vanessa Feltz - so physical appearance can be misleading)

Before everyone jumps on the anti surgery wagon, I would like to point out the damaging effect some physical flaws can have on a person's state of mind. Would you say a woman with very uneven breasts is selfish wanting surgery to feel normal and be comfortable with sex? Or a man left with terrible scaring from a childhood illness should cope with getting stared at by children? These are not exactly hare lips and deformities but can still destroy confidence so where is the line drawn?

I agree we have a problem in the fact plastic surgeons are not properly regulated. BAAPS is voluntary to join if you don't work for the NHS. You cannot be forced to join and then monitored. We are also not getting across the risks of surgery to those seeking it and treating it like going for a wax. But not all people seeking surgery are vain and going in blind. Some do use it as a last resort to correct a problem that has slowly killed confidence over the years to the point their lives have stopped.

Also in the case of the NHS, some surgeries can offer long term health benefits. Breast reductions can save time and money in the long run on back surgery and physio for example.

I'm not agreeing with the Katie Prices of the world. In fact, I've had my own struggles in the past with body dysmorphia and know surgery is no cure for it at all. The idea of buying it for a child sickens and worries me. But not everyone who gets it is following a fad or ideal.

Quote: Nogget @ January 5 2012, 3:52 PM GMT

Who are we to say that applying make up isn't self obsession, but more extreme stuff is? It's all various degrees of the same thing, IMO.
As I say, peoples have been physically changing their bodies in weird ways throughout history.

Putting on lipstick is not the same as having an operation to change your face. Both stem from wanting to try to look different, sure, but one is obviously quite different and extreme.

Quote: AJGO @ January 5 2012, 3:33 PM GMT

People with physical disabilities undergo medical procedures. Those that have cosmetic surgery are of course doing it because of their 'emotions'; that money would be better spent on counselling or a media awareness course.
I am aghast that people have to be able to consent with 'sound mind' for cosmetic surgery and yet clearly can't be doing so because they're volunteering for a procedure that in any other situation would be seen as extremely serious and scary.
I read an interesting article a while ago that trialled babies responses to their mothers who'd had botox and found that the babies interacted with them less compared to non-surgeried mothers, even when it wasn't blatant that they'd had any cosmetic work done. Scary stuff.

Absoutly. As someone who has had botox in the muscles because of a disability I couldn't agree more. There are so many things that can go wrong, I find it hard to comprehend that you put yourself at risk "to look better" unless there was deep emotional issues there. The same applies to face lift type surgeries, I just don't understand wanting to go through all that pain. Same with other surgical type procedures, they hurt and because of the few had to have, I can't imagine electing to go through it. That's my personal experience and obviously everybodys is going to be different.

The study with the babies sounds really interesting.

Regarding that "woman" who gave her daughter those vouchers the kid should be taken into care. I'd assumed it was in America.

'They want to be WAGs and famous like Cheryl Cole and Lady Gaga. I'm just supporting her and making her dreams come true"

Also you can't lump those together. Lady Gaga has some talent.

The plastic surgery, that makes your hole tight and takes away the giblets...vagio-plasty?

I have no opinion on that whatsoever.

Quote: Nogget @ January 5 2012, 3:52 PM GMT

Make-up can carry health risks, too.

And those two are morons too, in my opinion.

Quote: RubyMae - Glamourous Snowdrop @ January 5 2012, 3:53 PM GMT

Before everyone jumps on the anti surgery wagon, I would like to point out the damaging effect some physical flaws can have on a person's state of mind. Would you say a woman with very uneven breasts is selfish wanting surgery to feel normal and be comfortable with sex? Or a man left with terrible scaring from a childhood illness should cope with getting stared at by children? These are not exactly hare lips and deformities but can still destroy confidence so where is the line drawn?

Just to make my earlier comment clear, those are in the non-moron camp. (Which hopefully goes without saying).

Quote: zooo @ January 5 2012, 4:09 PM GMT

Just to make my earlier comment clear, those are in the non-moron camp. (Which hopefully goes without saying).

Pleased

Quote: zooo @ January 5 2012, 4:08 PM GMT

And those two are morons too, in my opinion.

I'm impressed that you're not scared of being mistaken for a racist.

BTW, the flathead people had it done to them from an early age, a bit like foot binding. We'll probably both agree that such people are victims, not morons.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/jan/05/boy-tortured-drowned-sorcery-claims?CMP=twt_fd

F**king hell!

There is a point that tolerance and understanding runs out. Any preachers supporting this murderous nonsence should get a life sentence.

Russell Brand and Katy Perry are over.

Surprised? Anyone?

Quote: Nogget @ January 5 2012, 4:13 PM GMT

I'm impressed that you're not scared of being mistaken for a racist.

BTW, the flathead people had it done to them from an early age, a bit like foot binding. We'll probably both agree that such people are victims, not morons.

Yes, I am pretty comfortable saying that binding your baby up in rope and tying it to a piece of wood is moronic. The baby is certainly a victim.

Cosmetic surgery is available on the NHS.

The NHS does not do none-medically urgent surgery unless there's a real need.

e.g. the absence of said operation will lead to suicide or otherwise untreatable severe mental illness. Counselling/therapy is no magic wand, it only works for a limited number of capable/interested patients.

So yeh there's a need for it.

But cosmetic surgery along with alcohol, fags, junk food, drilling holes in ones heads, hard drugs, soft drugs and excessive masturbation. Should be free, unadvertised and available to those who need it.

Not constantly promoted by professional f**king vultures.

Quote: RubyMae - Glamourous Snowdrop @ January 5 2012, 4:20 PM GMT

Russell Brand and Katy Perry are over.

Surprised? Anyone?

Who cares