I read the news today oh boy! Page 622

Quote: Chappers @ January 6 2012, 8:25 PM GMT

Which one is which?

Gareth is the one who poked out Harvey's eyes with his knob.

Quote: Chappers @ January 6 2012, 7:25 PM GMT

T
I'm not trying to be funny (seriously) but I really do not know the difference between Will Young and Gareth Gates.

Keep it that way Ode Pal.

44,000! 44,000 French breast implant patients! That's 88,000 titties! And that's just from one manufacturer - just how many platic sex pillows are there really out there?!

Only 5% of the 44,000 were NHS cancer reconstructions, the rest were all private boob jobs.

The Government has asked the plastic surgeons who carried out the operations to take them out free of charge, but if they refuse, then the NHS will remove them.

But they're not gonna put in new ones - so obviously, patients are feeling deflated. (Boom! Boom!)

'Sorry Mrs. Smith, we were going to operate on you today, but Tanya from Essex needs to take up the bed with her leaking chest ornaments, I hope you don't mind'

Smarmy I have Jimmy Corkhill from Brookys' autograph, he is in 'Alladin' New Brighton! great actor great show, sadly missed.

OK, I'll stop showing off now .

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ January 7 2012, 1:12 AM GMT

44,000! 44,000 French breast implant patients! That's 88,000 titties! And that's just from one manufacturer - just how many platic sex pillows are there really out there?!

Only 5% of the 44,000 were NHS cancer reconstructions, the rest were all private boob jobs.

The Government has asked the plastic surgeons who carried out the operations to take them out free of charge, but if they refuse, then the NHS will remove them.

But they're not gonna put in new ones - so obviously, patients are feeling deflated. (Boom! Boom!)

'Sorry Mrs. Smith, we were going to operate on you today, but Tanya from Essex needs to take up the bed with her leaking chest ornaments, I hope you don't mind'

If one penny of taxpayer's money is spent on sorting out those who just wanted bigger tits I'll . I'll . .

Quote: Oldrocker @ January 7 2012, 1:19 AM GMT

If one penny of taxpayer's money is spent on sorting out those who just wanted bigger tits I'll . I'll . .

This could be a real money maker in the right hands. Imagine a meerkat suddenly popping up on your screen offering cut price breast insurance? Though, if they launched a website called comparethebreasts.com, it might get the wrong sort of traffic.

Laughing out loud OH dear REALLY can imagine! bet they're at it now Huh?

Quote: Oldrocker @ January 7 2012, 1:19 AM GMT

Those receiving the implants were undergoing what was supposed to have been a safe procedure and could not have been aware of the cancer risk posed by negligent French manufacturers. There are lots of people who make bad lifestyle choices that have far more foreseeable adverse consequences for their health. Smokers. Drinkers. Drug users. Mountain bikers. Swingers etc etc. Should the NHS also refuse to treat them? All human activity contains some risk. Where do you draw the line?

Quote: Timbo @ January 7 2012, 11:31 AM GMT

Those receiving the implants were undergoing what was supposed to have been a safe procedure and could not have been aware of the cancer risk posed by negligent French manufacturers. There are lots of people who make bad lifestyle choices that have far more foreseeable adverse consequences for their health. Smokers. Drinkers. Drug users. Mountain bikers. Swingers etc etc. Should the NHS also refuse to treat them? All human activity contains some risk. Where do you draw the line?

The unbelievable amount of tax put on both alcohol and tobacco directly funds the NHS (well it's supposed to, but we both know the money goes into the Treasury coffers).

Cancer, lung, liver and kidney treatments developed by treating smokers and drinkers are just as applicable to non-smokers and tea totallers who become ill.

The NHS refuses to treat a whole host of patients for one reason or another, usually based on cost and life expectency. Value judgements on health are made every second of every day.

40,000 additional surgeries is going to make a massive dent on the NHS budget, so I can understand the Government's reluctance to treat these women. Especially if they can afford the surgery to get it done privately.

I don't see why the people at fault can't be the ones to pay? It wasn't the NHS's fault, was it?

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ January 7 2012, 12:19 PM GMT

The NHS refuses to treat a whole host of patients for one reason or another, usually based on cost and life expectency. Value judgements on health are made every second of every day.

Yes but usually when discussing finally years and months of life and overall quality.

These ladies have decades and comparative good quality.

Quote: sootyj @ January 7 2012, 12:22 PM GMT

Yes but usually when discussing finally years and months of life and overall quality.

These ladies have decades and comparative good quality.

And their breast implants are in no danger of exploding at any second - but that won't stop thousands of people demanding the surgery right away.

Again, if you can afford the £3500-5000 to get the elective surgery performed in the first place, you can afford to get them removed.

Normally, when people take an unnecessary risk, they usually take out some form of insurance.

The French implant manufacturer should really be the one to pay for these operations, they knowingly sold a faulty, non-medical grade product.

The nhs doesn't make judgements on patient fault or responsibility.

Atleast not yet...

Quote: sootyj @ January 7 2012, 12:32 PM GMT

The nhs doesn't make judgements on patient fault or responsibility.

You've obviously never been to a local GP, who gives you that condescending talk about smoking and drinking and exercise. Self righteous, judgemental hypocrites the lot!

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ January 7 2012, 12:29 PM GMT

The French implant manufacturer should really be the one to pay for these operations, they knowingly sold a faulty, non-medical grade product.

The first point is that they have gone bust. (Go on, you know you want to.) The second is the legal stuff. The manufacturers don't have a contract with the people who actually had the implants so they have no contractual liability. There is another legal route by which they could be made liable (don't worry. I'm not going to treat you to one of my first year law lectures) but as they have gone out of business there's no point pursuing it.
The people who are liable and who should be carrying out the ops are the plastic surgeons because it appears in many cases they didn't fully explain the risks. But this is the beauty of the free market at work, how do you make them do the op for free? Answer: with great difficulty.
I don't see why the NHS should pick up the bill for the cosmetic procedures but probably as usual the NHS will have to sort out the private sector mess.