Life's Too Short Page 30

Quote: Godot Taxis @ December 5 2011, 12:50 AM GMT

Get f**ked. Or point out the post where I claimed to know better than others whilst having less 'knowledge/experience of a thing.'

Know Karl long have you? Tell us all about how secretly knowing and intelligent he is and why he chose to infiltrate the media as an XFM producer for God knows how long.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ December 4 2011, 11:58 AM GMT

There is no comedy if you take away his height. What would we be laughing at? A six foot man stuck in the lavatory/dustbin/lavatory again/falling out of a car/dressed as a child?

It's really only a step up from laughing at a man with cerebral palsy body popping or a down's syndrome girl wearing make-up.

A best it's a bit sad at worst, well... it's genuinely contemptible.

You're dead right in pointing out that the comedy is simply poking fun at weird little people, of course it is. Don't know why some are trying to say it's not! It's very basic, obvious, instinctive, visual based comedy.

But I think you're very wrong about Gervais' motives for doing it. Over anything else, RG is attacking PC, as he has always done. He's not just saying 'How dare you tell us what and what not to laugh at', he's also saying' 'You PC lot are really patronising to those you think you're trying to protect, and many of them have the sense of humour that you sour faced lot lack'.

All the humour in LTS is tongue in cheek, and the one benefitting the most from the venture will of course be the star, Warwick Davis, who has been magnificent in it, despite his Gervaisisms at times. I don't see anything nasty or mean in it like you do, I see it as a celebration of good old fashioned, instinctive, pure, physical based comedy. RG takes out all the BS that's crept into post PC comedy and it's a breath of fresh air to me.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ December 5 2011, 12:50 AM GMT

Get f**ked.

Charming.

Or point out the post where I claimed to know better than others whilst having less 'knowledge/experience of a thing.'

The one I replied to, obviously.

;) All this controversy over such a little thing, well next time it we be a huge fat woman, let's get really into the SIZE fun.

Haven't read this thread. This show is worse than Extras but is still enjoyable. Just as Extras was worse than The Office, but still enjoyable.

Quote: zooo @ December 5 2011, 9:06 AM GMT

Charming.

The one I replied to, obviously.

It isn't obvious or I wouldn't have asked you to clarify it. I've seen Gervais talking to Pilkington. Pilkington was pretending to be thick and eccentric - that's it. Anyone could have made that observation - it doesn't require any personal knowledge of the bloke, just some basic observational skills. In the bit I watched he nearly corpsed twice. Only an idiot would think he wasn't acting.

Incidentally it doesn't matter whether he was acting or not - I don't actually care - someone else brought it up.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ December 5 2011, 8:22 AM GMT

You're dead right in pointing out that the comedy is simply poking fun at weird little people, of course it is. Don't know why some are trying to say it's not! It's very basic, obvious, instinctive, visual based comedy.

But I think you're very wrong about Gervais' motives for doing it. Over anything else, RG is attacking PC, as he has always done. He's not just saying 'How dare you tell us what and what not to laugh at', he's also saying' 'You PC lot are really patronising to those you think you're trying to protect, and many of them have the sense of humour that you sour faced lot lack'.

All the humour in LTS is tongue in cheek, and the one benefitting the most from the venture will of course be the star, Warwick Davis, who has been magnificent in it, despite his Gervaisisms at times. I don't see anything nasty or mean in it like you do, I see it as a celebration of good old fashioned, instinctive, pure, physical based comedy. RG takes out all the BS that's crept into post PC comedy and it's a breath of fresh air to me.

Bit pretentious that isn't it? Maybe he should have started by making it consistently funny and then got onto making a point and chuckling to himself at how clever he is?

Quote: Vince Ives @ December 5 2011, 7:28 AM GMT

Know Karl long have you? Tell us all about how secretly knowing and intelligent he is and why he chose to infiltrate the media as an XFM producer for God knows how long.

A secret is something that nobody knows about you f**kwit.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ December 5 2011, 11:39 PM GMT

A secret is something that nobody knows about you f**kwit.

There's no need for personal insults, Godot. Certainly not over this non-event of a show.

Sorry Aaron. I didn't mean to offend anyone - or did I? Like RG perhaps we'll never know.

It's hard to find any positives about the show but I do like Warwick Davis.

;) I admire the short arse, he is a bit of a star.

What have any of you done to be able to justify talking shit on Gervais and Merchant...? At least give them till the end of the second series Christmas special before you call it his worst work yet!!!, and if you think it's exploiting Warwick you obviously don't get it ... it was his idea in the beginning any way...

Quote: Tom Hond @ December 6 2011, 10:34 AM GMT

What have any of you done to be able to justify talking shit on Gervais and Merchant...? At least give them till the end of the second series Christmas special before you call it his worst work yet!!!, and if you think it's exploiting Warwick you obviously don't get it ... it was his idea in the beginning any way...

I can't quite work out if this is a serious post or not...