Life's Too Short Page 23

Yeah I think it's more accurate to say he's like Ricky Gervais playing Brent, which is not quite the same thing as being Brent. He's using Gervais' acting style and mannerisms while playing Brent. However, it can easily be seen as him using Brent's mannerisms, which it is being seen as, and this is the problem. I'd blame the writers for this more than the actor, as it seems like G and/or M have indeed used the David Brent template for creating 'Warwick Davis'.

When his responses and dialogue are very similar to Brent's, then what chance has Davis got of not looking like a short David Brent? An oversight or mistake by the writers? It certainly seems to be causing more discussion than anything else in the show, which is a shame, as it is very funny in places.

Quote: Tim Walker @ November 26 2011, 11:13 AM GMT

The reason The Office was more than just a funny comedy was Tim and Dawn. (This is a fact that Stephen Merchant was keen to point out, Ricky Gervais perhaps more grudgingly so.)

Interesting that, isn't it.
This is why I'd love to know how/if the dynamic has changed between the two writers.
A very simplistic reading of it would be that you have the essentially mean-spirited Gervais tempered by the more generous-of-spirit Merchant.
(Very much the Clement/ Le Frenais model)
Has the balance shifted, with the higher profile Gervais getting his own way more?
It would certainly account for this percieved and increasing lack of 'heart'.

I still remember my reaction to the first Office trailer/clips 10 years ago. You may have also had a similar reaction - I just presumed it was some documentary about an office and I didn't watch it when it was first aired on BBC2 because it just looked like another one of those boring Airport-style fly-on-the wall documentaries - plus I was 11 so that sort of thing just wouldn't have really interested me anyway.

Now that is a very brave and risky way of promoting a new show (but ideal and apt. if you destine it to become a cult show in the future) - now fast forward to 'Life's Too Short' where they makes no bones about it being a fictional sitcom and showing celebrity Hollywood stars acting all wacky and out of character.

You could say The Office was like the Blair Witch Project of sitcoms - and a true original at the time with just subtle clues that The Larry Sanders Show (1992) and Curb Your Enthusiasm (2000) were major influences on it - whereas with Extras and Life's Too Short it's like Gervais blatantly wanted to have his own versions of those shows...I'm surprised he hasn't yet gone the whole hog and made a series set in a world where Gervais is a chatshow host who insults and lampoons his guests who come on as themselves....oh no wait - he has and it was called Meet Ricky Gervais (2000).

I think it's safe to say Gervais' well of inspiration has run dry - so much so that it seems he's now mining inspiration from his very own previous and much more superior shows.

Quote: Timbo @ November 24 2011, 11:09 PM GMT

A dwarf falling out of a car is not funny

It bloody is. Anyone falling out of a car is funny.

I use to love RG. Now that he has gone all white teeth & only wearing black, I have gone off him. To be honest he isn't much taller than the wee fella & if he breathes in anymore when the cameras are on him, he will deflate.
He has turned into a bit of a cock. I prefered him with a bit of weight on & stained teeth.
I can only think of one very handsome, very funny person.
You have to be a fugly to be a brill comic. That's why I haven't been discovered yet. :D *ting*

Quote: zooo @ November 29 2011, 12:43 AM GMT

It bloody is. Anyone falling out of a car is funny.

You are a cruel heartless woman.

E17's Brian Harvey fell out his car, ran himself over, and suffered severe, life-threatening injuries as a result, falling into a coma for several weeks.
You gotta laugh.

Quote: johnny smith @ November 28 2011, 10:46 PM GMT

I think it's safe to say Gervais' well of inspiration has run dry -

What about Merchant's well??

Quote: Timbo @ November 29 2011, 9:00 AM GMT

You are a cruel heartless woman.

:D

Quote: Charley @ November 29 2011, 1:33 AM GMT

Whooooooo?

In the future please link directly to my Flickr gallery...

Interesting observation there ;) but who is it???

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ November 27 2011, 10:58 PM GMT

Warwick's character is not that much like Brent.

Eh?

The chairman looked like a bald Nick Hewer.

So now Gervais is defending the show against a "barrage of criticism" that this show exploits Warwick Davis. I'm not sure who/where all these people are - they may well mainly only exist in Ricky's imagination. I don't think the reason viewing figures are down is because the public can't abide perceived exploitation - if this were the case then The X Factor would have never been recommissioned for a second series. Most don't even really have much of an issue with the reliance on size-related gags. Why not just accept that people don't find it funny or engaging enough, Ricky?

Silly old Ricky. Answering other critics when our Tim's waiting for an answer!