4 Screenwriting - Channel 4 screenwriting course Page 4

Quote: RedZed333 @ October 28 2011, 8:38 PM BST

I'm sure I read somewhere comedy scripts could be sent...

I wrote to them a little while ago and they said that they would accept comedy dramas.

Well if this draft doesn't work out, that's my entry sorted.

It's almost done though, so I should be sending this. The dialogue is popping up thicker and faster this time round.

The website just says to send the CV and the script doesn't it? I didn't see any indication that extra supporting material was allowed to be sent such as a pitch.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ October 30 2011, 11:36 AM BST

The website just says to send the CV and the script doesn't it? I didn't see any indication that extra supporting material was allowed to be sent such as a pitch.

What would you pitch?
The work you're sending is a sample only - not something they expect you to develop.
I guess if you get through they'll be looking for you to pitch some ideas to work up during the course.

Quote: Lazzard @ October 30 2011, 2:23 PM BST

What would you pitch?
The work you're sending is a sample only - not something they expect you to develop.
I guess if you get through they'll be looking for you to pitch some ideas to work up during the course.

Well the website says: "Applicants should submit by email a CV and one writing sample. This can be a screenplay, a stage play or radio play, minimum length 30 minutes".

When it says "one writing sample", I presume they mean a full script rather than a bit of a script, such as the complete script for said radio play.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ October 30 2011, 3:06 PM BST

Well the website says: "Applicants should submit by email a CV and one writing sample. This can be a screenplay, a stage play or radio play, minimum length 30 minutes".

When it says "one writing sample", I presume they mean a full script rather than a bit of a script, such as the complete script for said radio play.

Yep, one (complete!) script equals one 'sample' of your writing - mine's now been sent, if I was them I'd take me on...but time will tell (and they probably won't, ah well, no point worrying about it in the meantime is there?)

Quote: radiat10n @ October 30 2011, 3:14 PM BST

Yep, one (complete!) script equals one 'sample' of your writing

Well, I've just sent of my script. Good luck everyone. Pleased

Sent mine too. A script I originally wrote for Scriptfrenzy a couple of years ago.

So, mid- December, eh?
What do we reckon?
Bet it's not till after Crimbo.

Good luck, one and all.

Quote: Lazzard @ October 30 2011, 5:19 PM BST

So, mid- December, eh?
What do we reckon?
Bet it's not till after Crimbo.

Good luck, one and all.

Do you mean deadline or when they'll announce the winners?

The deadline is 1st November and the winners' course starts in January.

Sorry, I meant the winners announcement.
Hadn't clocked that it starts in Jan - in which case they'll pobably pretty prompt on this.

What would peoples advice be if you've got nothing to put on your CV? I've submitted the odd thing, but not got anywhere so far, and done a bit of stand up, but not much, is any of that worth mentioning? I haven't been at this very long...

Quote: Anon @ October 31 2011, 8:18 AM BST

What would peoples advice be if you've got nothing to put on your CV? I've submitted the odd thing, but not got anywhere so far, and done a bit of stand up, but not much, is any of that worth mentioning? I haven't been at this very long...

Have you done any sort of writing other than script writing. For example on my CV I mentioned my journalism work for the BCG and Giggle Beats.

Quote: Anon @ October 31 2011, 8:18 AM BST

Just say what you've done. They're looking for new writers so what could be newer than nothing in your CV. If it's good first time then you're a genius.

Well. I've submitted a piece. Not the one I'd planned but it's a finished piece.