Newsjack - Series 5 Page 30

Quote: Gerry McDonnell @ September 26 2011, 2:28 PM BST

I considered doing a sketch on neutrinos, but I remembered it's best to write about what you know, so I went with masturbation and bestiality. The third sketch was advertising, so I'm filing that under 'wankers' too :)

Enoguh about your hobbies what sketch did you write?

Blog from Gareth Gwynn up regarding use of commissioned vs non-com writers:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/writersroom/2011/09/newsjack_-_non-commissioned_co.shtml

interesting article - thanks for that.

I was away this weekend so I haven't had the chance to pull together any sketches, which is frustrating. Will begin one liners today. Good luck to all.

oh and I notice that I haven't been paid yet by the beeb for episode 1

You won't get paid until a couple of weeks after the final episode of the series. They sort out all the payments for the series once it's finished.

Quote: StephenM @ September 26 2011, 11:57 AM BST

Btw - not sure we ever found out but what did you get on last week Frantically and Hennell?

Hi Stephen. Mine was the first Planet Dinosaur sketch. I actually considered not sending it cos it was loud and a bit silly, but I'm glad I did now.

Three sketches and a handful of one-liners off for me.

My favourite sketch of show 2. I laughed. And I say that genuinely cos I only listened to the show this morning on my way to work.

Any more hard-biting satire planned? ;)

Dan

Cheers for that Dan :)

Yep - after slagging off dinosaurs last week, this week I will be mostly having a pop at Doctor Who and The Good Life. I'm redefining the word 'topical'!

Occasional reader, first time poster.

I submitted three sketches this week; One on the women fined in France for covering their faces (it involved Batman), one on women being allowed the vote in Saudi Arabia (involving Simon Cowell misunderstanding which vote it is they're allowed now) and one on Vernon Kay's tweet about Doctor Who's ratings (involving an angry Doctor). In retrospect not sure how topical they are now but hey-ho they've been sent - anyone else send similar stuff on those stories or do people not share that kind of information?

V interesting article.

Wish he didn't sound so damned reasonable!

Gone for it again this week. Two sketches and half a dozen or so one liners. A bit happier with these efforts, but I still think I need to work a bit harder. Time will tell.

3 one liners but I'll crack another 10 tomorrow.

And then I might cry

Ha! I did the neutrinos, too. I assumed that most people would write it from Brian Cox's point of view, so I figured I'd avoid that and go for something different, which sounds like exactly what everybody else did. Maybe my sketch might be a bit niche, which only the particle physicists in the audience will find amusing. Still, that's most of them, right? Right?

Quote: 3songsnoflash @ September 26 2011, 5:10 PM BST

Ha! I did the neutrinos, too. I assumed that most people would write it from Brian Cox's point of view, so I figured I'd avoid that and go for something different, which sounds like exactly what everybody else did. Maybe my sketch might be a bit niche, which only the particle physicists in the audience will find amusing. Still, that's most of them, right? Right?

I didn't do a neutrino sketch (or any sketches this week, for that matter, slack bastard that I am) but their multiple mentions today has inspired a glorious one-liner (which you'll get to read on Thursday in the rejects thread...)

Quote: amarsandhu @ September 26 2011, 4:15 PM BST

Occasional reader, first time poster.

I submitted three sketches this week; One on the women fined in France for covering their faces (it involved Batman), one on women being allowed the vote in Saudi Arabia (involving Simon Cowell misunderstanding which vote it is they're allowed now) and one on Vernon Kay's tweet about Doctor Who's ratings (involving an angry Doctor). In retrospect not sure how topical they are now but hey-ho they've been sent - anyone else send similar stuff on those stories or do people not share that kind of information?

Hi amarsandhu

I haven't submitted anything this time round but aim to send in a few one-liners tomorrow as I've been missing the angst.

I enjoyed this week's show. Loved the kazoo version of Bogey and Bacall and Mad Men. I wonder whose idea that was.

My contribution to last week was a short vox-pop featuring a man cementing his penis to a caravan. Comedy gold!

On the submission side, I'm with those saying write quantity then edit down to the quality - I had to edit out one of my favourite sequences from a 'markets in turmoil' sketch this morning, as the segment was a little off topic and it was over 3 pages.

As well as that stock market/finical problems sketch, I sent an 'and finally' and placed my bets on a very short '3 things we learnt from the Labour conference this week' hoping I can predict what we'll have learnt by Thursday! (Probably should have gone with the neutrinos...)

Edit:

Quote: clueless @ September 26 2011, 5:35 PM BST

I enjoyed this week's show. Loved the kazoo version of Bogey and Bacall and Mad Men. I wonder whose idea that was.

I asked that in fridays web chat as I was sure I hadn't heard that story until Tuesday, and was interested if it was a lucky find by a writer, them trying to make the show more topical or them just needing more sketches...
... Turns out that indeed, Simon (the producer) had herd the story on tuesday morning, and so requested something on it as he felt it should be covered. I'm guessing from Gareth's blog post today, it was written by some commissioned writers who've got there via previous newsjack submissions, but could be wrong. It was a very good sketch though. (The mad men bit really caught me off guard).