I read the news today oh boy! Page 517

Quote: Matthew Stott @ August 23 2011, 9:17 PM BST

Oh, the next ones in always blame some stuff on the previous lot.

Sure, because religious people never get involved in anything bad...

I was thinking more about everyday stuff. I mean 99% of the time, you're not going to have problems from a religious family that move onto your road. Obviously, on a larger scale, religion does cause a lot of shit in the world.

What are you actually basing that supposition on?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-14635938

And when they come out?

What odds on them being thrown into the sea off Beachy Head and being told to swim back home?

Or words to that effect,

Quote: zooo @ August 24 2011, 12:47 AM BST

What are you actually basing that supposition on?

Just my experience. When I was growing up, the highest-achieving and best-behaved kids all seemed to be from church-going families. As for religious people of other faiths, they're generally peaceful, law-abiding, hard-working people, who bring their kids up well.

Sad to read about the death of, John Howard Davies. A producer and director of so many great comedies over the years. RIP.

Quote: catskillz @ August 24 2011, 12:56 AM BST

Just my experience. When I was growing up, the highest-achieving and best-behaved kids all seemed to be from church-going families. As for religious people of other faiths, they're generally peaceful, law-abiding, hard-working people, who bring their kids up well.

You're making a generalisation; of course there are going to be many, many kids who are being brought up in a religious household who then go out and cause trouble. And many, many kids who aren't brought up with religion who don't go out and cause trouble.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ August 24 2011, 9:06 AM BST

You're making a generalisation; of course there are going to be many, many kids who are being brought up in a religious household who then go out and cause trouble. And many, many kids who aren't brought up with religion who don't go out and cause trouble.

I'm with the normally insane Catskillz on this. I'd rather have Jesus-freaks next door than godless benefit-scrounging reality TV-worshippers. Of course Churchies are going to be less trouble.

Quote: chipolata @ August 24 2011, 9:12 AM BST

I'm with the normally insane Catskillz on this. I'd rather have Jesus-freaks next door than godless benefit-scrounging reality TV-worshippers. Of course Churchies are going to be less trouble.

Wait,so not religious = benefit-scrounging reality TV worshippers?! That's a bit of a weird leap! I'd rather have the first lot next door too.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ August 24 2011, 9:19 AM BST

Wait,so not religious = benefit-scrounging reality TV worshippers?! That's a bit of a weird leap! I'd rather have the first lot next door too.

They wouldn't approve of your openly gay lifestyle, Stott.

Quote: catskillz @ August 23 2011, 4:17 PM BST

Though I'm not religious, I don't have a problem with people who are. Put it this way, I doubt there were any religious people involved in the recent riots.

Didn't you see that long haired yobbo trash the moneylenders' tables in a temple?

I blame the parents.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ August 24 2011, 9:06 AM BST

I thought it was obvious he was making generalisations. I'm not sure there is anything wrong with generalisations in this instance. As long as we know they are generalisations then they can still be useful and insightful.

Quote: youngian @ August 24 2011, 1:00 PM BST

Didn't you see that long haired yobbo trash the moneylenders' tables in a temple?

I blame the parents.

The recent rioters would simply have stolen the money and tables and set up business themselves around the corner. Jesus had the good sense to knock them over.

As I'm about to go into higher education, here's my view:

How about a bit of encouragement from people in the media or settled in good careers? We're told it's a waste of time going to uni as we'll end up unemployed, but does that mean we shouldn't even bother trying to get somewhere?

If we all did hairdressing or plumbing there wouldn't be any jobs there either and those courses would also be oversubscribed.

At least people are trying to get on in life rather than just accepting a life on the dole.

Also, with the exam results and so-called 'dumbing down'. Kids would be criticised if the results were getting worse year on year - 'kids today...they are so thick' blah blah. But they're also berated for 'benefiting from a dodgy system'.

It annoys the hell out of me.

It always seems to be the same people - those who are settled in a nice career or some right wing loony in the media. All badmouthing from their ivory towers.

That is all.

Quote: Westcountryman @ August 24 2011, 1:29 PM BST

I thought it was obvious he was making generalisations. I'm not sure there is anything wrong with generalisations in this instance. As long as we know they are generalisations then they can still be useful and insightful.

Okay...

The problem with university is it is full of people doing worthless courses like business administration, economics and marketing. Whatever happened to the truly useful courses like the Classics, English literature or philosophy?

Nothing quite prepares you for the real, modern world like being able to write poetry in Latin.

I work for one of the largest Latin Poetry production companies in Western Europe and I welcome your sententia!