Extras Christmas Special Page 3

Quote: zooo @ December 27, 2007, 11:04 PM

:O

But it's truuue. He's just being self aware. And he still doesn't think of himself as up with Woody Allen or whoever, he's not an arsehole. I didn't get smugness at all, but I can see where you're coming from.

He turned down a role in a Woody Allen film because it had other "British people that are just on the telly" in it. That seems mighty smug to me. It seems if it isn't dinner with Ben Stiller or Jerry Seinfeld then he doesn't want to know.

Plus I found the stuff about his attack on catchphrases "It's just the same thing repeated 1000 times over", although true of those types of show, it's also true of Extras, especially series 2...it's always a famous person playing themselves as smug and arrogant, it's always Maggie saying something stupid and it's usually jokes about been awkward in front of homosexuals, the disabled or ethnic minorities.

Saying all that though I did quite enjoy the special, mainly the Darren/Barry bits and the fake Ridley Scott phone-call.

Quote: Martin Holmes @ December 27, 2007, 11:14 PM

He turned down a role in a Woody Allen film because it had other "British people that are just on the telly" in it. That seems mighty smug to me. It seems if it isn't dinner with Ben Stiller or Jerry Seinfeld then he doesn't want to know.

Well, I'm sure there were other reasons.
Or maybe that's a relevant reason... I dunno. Should everyone just automatically say yes to a Woody Allen film, just because it's Woody Allen?
I haven't seen that film yet, maybe it was shit.

I think he said on the radio he's not going to do any more Hollywood stuff, he's going to come home. I think he misses Richard and Judy, myself.

Quote: Aaron @ December 27, 2007, 10:27 PM

And some much needed, sobering food-for-thought for the writers around here, I think.

What was that?

Woody Allen's a bit shit anyway, but let's not go down that topic of conversation here. :)

:O Laughing out loud

Quote: Martin Holmes @ December 27, 2007, 11:14 PM

Plus I found the stuff about his attack on catchphrases "It's just the same thing repeated 1000 times over", although true of those types of show, it's also true of Extras, especially series 2...it's always a famous person playing themselves as smug and arrogant, it's always Maggie saying something stupid and it's usually jokes about been awkward in front of homosexuals, the disabled or ethnic minorities.

I think we should consider the probability that sometimes he IS talking about himself.

Quote: zooo @ December 27, 2007, 11:16 PM

Well, I'm sure there were other reasons.
Or maybe that's a relevant reason... I dunno. Should everyone just automatically say yes to a Woody Allen film, just becasue it's Woody Allen?
I haven't seen that film yet, maybe it was shit.

I think he said on the radio he's not going to do any more Hollywood stuff, he's going to come home. I think he misses Richard and Judy, myself.

No that was his reason, he actually said it in an interview, I'll try to find it when I can be bothered :D. He said he looked at who else was in it and it was just other British people off the telly. Plus he said yes to Night in the bloody Museum so I don't know why he would turn down Woody Allen.

Least he's honest.

Quote: zooo @ December 27, 2007, 11:18 PM

:O Laughing out loud

I think we should consider the probablity that sometimes he IS talking about himself.

See I don't think he is at all, I think it comes across as looking down on other stuff. I mean I agree with him on his hatred of catchphrase based shows and the celeb culture stuff, but it just doesn't work coming from his mouth. I don't believe the show is an attack on himself because he was not the star of a bad catchpharse based sitcom, he made The Office which is a great sitcom...so it just seems like he's attacking everything and bigging himself up, especially with that "only a few achieve fame and respect" line.

Quote: Aaron @ December 27, 2007, 11:18 PM

Woody Allen's a bit shit anyway, but let's not go down that topic of conversation here. :)

Very true nowadays, the guy hasn't been good for quite a while but the guy is 72 and for all the amazingly funny stuff he has done I think we can let him off. :)

And Merchant, he's a bastard too and the producers and supporting casts! Grrr!! And you the viewers!

Quote: ContainsNuts @ December 27, 2007, 11:17 PM

What was that?

If it wasn't clear from the programme, me telling you isn't going to be any help.

Ping pong.

Hope these words are legible as I type them wearing huge gloves that are attached to this flame retardant suit...

I thought it was shite.

I said aloud, "I thought this was supposed to be a comedy!".

What's funny about some one-trick pony-turd becoming an even bigger turd as he alienates both his agent and his only friend due to fatheadedness?

I agree with whoever said Gervais was using this episode to flex his "serious" acting skills---and they were great. He can indeed "do" serious, but this was supposed to be a comedy, no? Maybe not. Maybe it was supposed to be one of those thar comedic-dramas...In that case it was pretty cliché.

Loved him in the Office and in other episodes of Extras...so I ain't no hater of the G-turd.

Here's your zooo shield.

Best line of the night: "Frankenstein's Albino Gonk".

It was actually suppose to be a comedy-drama, he said so on the radio, which is a fair point, for an hour and a half show that pushes it into comedy-drama category. I thought he was pretty decent with his end speech, however cliched it may have been.

I thought this was splendid, and extremely moving. I've been a fan of Extras from the beginning, and whilst I admit the shadow of Brent was there initially, for me it soon stepped down, and since then Extras has just got better and better with every episode. Along with some hugely entertaining moments (Barry and the sweets falling out of his coat...?), the writing has brought poignancy and insight in bucketloads, but always cunningly avoided sentimentality and worthiness.

This final episode did certainly have a dark bleakness about it, and perhaps that's what was needed to get the message across, but as always Darren and Barry provided the much needed light relief, and the Carphone Warehouse trio was a stroke of genius that had me in stitches! I'm sad that Extras has come to an end, but I think it's bowed out in real style, while the writing was still solid and the characters still engaging.

One last thing, does anyone know the name of that very sad song that was played in the background to some of the scenes with Maggie? Very nice touch that was!