The Sitcom Mission 2011 Page 42

I don't think it's prejudice, it's policy.

My Family and Last of the Summer Wine, but they're also timeless.

Quote: Declan @ March 9 2011, 11:42 PM GMT

I don't think it's prejudice, it's policy.

Is it? How many producers told you this?

Incidentally, did people think One Foot in the Grave was badly dated during the Blair boom years? Because Victor was made redundant and replaced by a machine in the first episode.

Quote: Declan @ March 9 2011, 11:42 PM GMT

My Family and Last of the Summer Wine, but they're also timeless.

Neither of these is a real-world sitcom, they both exist in their own bubble.

Smoking Room was timeless before the smoking ban came into effect :'(

Quote: Ash Man @ March 10 2011, 12:34 AM GMT

Smoking Room was timeless before the smoking ban came into effect :'(

Smoking Bus Stop?

Quote: abfc bjk @ March 10 2011, 1:08 AM GMT

Smoking Bus Stop?

As long as there isn't an enclosed shelter with dimensions exceeding the regulations.

Quote: Badge @ March 10 2011, 1:15 AM GMT

As long as there isn't an enclosed shelter with dimensions exceeding the regulations.

Well duh!

I actually laughed out loud at your post, not sure if you meant it to be funny. :)

Quote: Griff @ March 9 2011, 11:28 PM GMT

The Thick Of It? I'm not even sure about that. I don't think that watching it again in five years it'll be impossible to understand because of any political references.

I wouldn't say it was. The feel of it is, admittedly, very current and I guess spin/intense media scrutiny is something that's going to be around for a long time. But the inciting incidents seem to be such minutiae and examples of such hot air policies/ideas that you're not really supposed to understand it anyway!

Dan

Quote: Badge @ March 9 2011, 11:46 PM GMT

Incidentally, did people think One Foot in the Grave was badly dated during the Blair boom years? Because Victor was made redundant and replaced by a machine in the first episode.

People get sacked or replaced every year, regardless of economic climate.

Is it not the case that Declan and Simon are running the show, so have the right/luxury of selecting the type of sitcom they want and are looking for and to place others in the slush bin?
But also that if they received one that was totally different , extremely funny and not what they expected, sort of broke the 'rules', they would short list it.

Quote: bushbaby @ March 10 2011, 9:09 AM GMT

so have the right/luxury of selecting the type of sitcom they want and are looking for and to place others in the slush bin?

I can only aspire to the slush bin.

If you want to write anything that doesn't date then you have to set it in the past in the first place, Dads Army, Blackadder etc etc.
As for current references a lot of it does date , it just depends on the magnitude of the reference.
If for instance you character was having a sarnie on a grassy knoll and a shot rings out from the bushes, your stuff would be safe, as would a wacky mishap outside the twin towers on 9/11.
But to be specific about the current crop of faceless politicians would be unwise unless of course your show was about the 'Bland leading the blind'.
In relation to the advice offered by this BBC producer, if its his show you have to go with what he says, if it's just general advice then a small sachet of salt taken in the now legendary beeb canteen should suffice.

Peep Show's pretty topical in that it referenced the economic downturn and had Mark lose his job when JLB went belly up. It also contains plenty of mentions of current politicians etc.

It can't be argued that any good material will stand the test of time. Dickens, Shakespeare, Mills and Boon.......

Quote: Matthew Stott @ March 10 2011, 8:54 AM GMT

People get sacked or replaced every year, regardless of economic climate.

Quite.

It maybe that the ones Declan refers to, have the recession as the main theme/plot and not just someone that's out of work