The Sitcom Mission 2011 Page 40

Sounds good. I didn't do a premise/character break down at all. Nor did I worry about formatting it correctly. I want all you frustration to be saved for the script.

Cheers Dec

I'm keeping my fingers crossed (nothing to lose)

One thing I did notice with my script is when I showed to people (about 10 all together) the reviews were definitely mixed. I guess comedy is really subjective. Some people loved it and said it had potential and wanted to read episode 2 whereas some said it was 'corny' (more corn than a hen's nest) - exact words :(

Personally I love 'The Smoking Room' but to other people it's a bunch of folks in a room talking - how boring.
I find The In Betweeners feeble and quiet offensive to be honest.

Go figure

Quote: Ash Man @ March 8 2011, 11:24 AM GMT

Looks like we sent in crap work this year according to Dec. Look forward to the next blog.

I rarely 'lol', but I 'lolled'.

All this is proof (if needed) that I shouldn't write sitcom, and just stick to dark comedy, not any sitcom situation etc (Hell, even that stuff other stuff I've written isn't that fantastic). This sitcom was in my head for years, but ultimately isn't that original or any good. Maybe I should pack all writing in.

I probably won't, but I'm not sure I should bother submitting anything again. I'm shit.

For anyone going through a crisis of writing confidence, here's our highly recommended Introduction to Sitcom Writing workshop on April 2nd:

https://www.comedy.co.uk/sitcom_mission/workshops/2/

Quote: Feeoree @ March 8 2011, 2:18 PM GMT

All this is proof (if needed) that I shouldn't write sitcom, and just stick to dark comedy, not any sitcom situation etc (Hell, even that stuff other stuff I've written isn't that fantastic). This sitcom was in my head for years, but ultimately isn't that original or any good. Maybe I should pack all writing in.

I probably won't, but I'm not sure I should bother submitting anything again. I'm shit.

Put some of your stuff on here, you can't really judge yourself as we all know comedy is subjective but many others may share your type of humour too.

Never pack in, if you like it then it's good enough. You can tweek and enhance to meet others perceptions or needs and all you will end up with is something that's not really yours.
Don't get me wrong, you must always be up for advice as long as you can see that it's good advice, but outside of that you have to have a bit of spine and a shed load of determination.
Many writers will go unread, whilst others they may deem less worthy find recognition even stardom.
So the choice is yours, you can build up a degree of hatred, let it fester then attempt to kill the 32 finalists.
Or you can write a story about someone who does that and keep your spirits up while your at it.
There is also the third choice, which is going postal and mailing threats to other contestants, this will help you write and get a certain degree of revenge.
The choice is yours, its easier to pack in than carry on, but an iron in the fire makes the postman exciting and your inbox thrilling.
Just stick at it, collaborate do whatever you have to so that maybe one day you get out of a cab outside the BBC and your names at reception and there's an office booked so that people can discuss how your words will be turned into pictures.
Have a dream, have a go, never quit and believe in yourself!

No mention yet of victorian era bumbling, name dropping detectives with Bill Sykes lite sidekicks.
Don't know if that's a good or bad thing

Do we get told if we've been rejected by email? Or do we just wait until finding out the names of all the scripts which made it through?

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ March 8 2011, 4:18 PM GMT

Never pack in, if you like it then it's good enough. You can tweek and enhance to meet others perceptions or needs and all you will end up with is something that's not really yours.
Don't get me wrong, you must always be up for advice as long as you can see that it's good advice, but outside of that you have to have a bit of spine and a shed load of determination.
Many writers will go unread, whilst others they may deem less worthy find recognition even stardom.
So the choice is yours, you can build up a degree of hatred, let it fester then attempt to kill the 32 finalists.
Or you can write a story about someone who does that and keep your spirits up while your at it.
There is also the third choice, which is going postal and mailing threats to other contestants, this will help you write and get a certain degree of revenge.
The choice is yours, its easier to pack in than carry on, but an iron in the fire makes the postman exciting and your inbox thrilling.
Just stick at it, collaborate do whatever you have to so that maybe one day you get out of a cab outside the BBC and your names at reception and there's an office booked so that people can discuss how your words will be turned into pictures.
Have a dream, have a go, never quit and believe in yourself!

:$ Wow, thanks...Beth x

Quote: abfc bjk @ March 8 2011, 5:29 PM GMT

Do we get told if we've been rejected by email? Or do we just wait until finding out the names of all the scripts which made it through?

No, it'll be no doubt announced ...i.e. the names of the 32 shortlisted on here; as well as on every1sacritic web site

Quote: bushbaby @ March 8 2011, 6:00 PM GMT

No, it'll be no doubt announced ...i.e. the names of the 32 shortlisted on here; as well as on every1sacritic web site

Thanks. Just read that the shortlisted entrants will be posted on the 14th (next Monday), didn't realise it was that soon! :O

Quote: abfc bjk @ March 8 2011, 6:20 PM GMT

Thanks. Just read that the shortlisted entrants will be posted on the 14th (next Monday), didn't realise it was that soon! :O

Nerve wracking innit? Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

Less than a week before my dreams are crushed.

Quote: KLRiley @ March 8 2011, 6:26 PM GMT

Less than a week before my dreams are crushed.

And mine, for the millionth time :)