The Sitcom Mission 2011 Page 45

Quote: Marc P @ March 10 2011, 2:44 PM GMT

Is the award for the Larry Olivier Luvvie of the year?

Only kidding, fingers crossed BB.

:D :D :D
Back to the thread subject ;)

Quote: bushbaby @ March 10 2011, 2:50 PM GMT

:D :D :D
Back to the thread subject ;)

They said to get writing and forget about Monday they didn't say where! ;)

Quote: Feeoree @ March 10 2011, 2:49 PM GMT

@ rwayne - Because until 27th Feb, I thought it was alright, ha. Plus I'd feel better entering crap than not entering at all.

@ bushbaby - Good luck!

Hmmm...and should you go on to win - over a thousand people are left believing our best efforts can't compete with your 'rubbish'. We all stop writing, immediately, and are left hurling abuse, at the television, when we see your name on the credits of every sitcom.
You, sir, are an evil genius.

All this emphasis on being contemporary! I'm beginning to regret sending in my effort about a jovial chubby West Indian woman who operates the cake trolley at a busy inner city type writer factory: "The crazy adventures of Mrs Nwagbo"

Has anyone mentioned Chaz & Dave in their script? Just feel they deserved a mention.

Quote: Feeoree

I already know I'm not through, but quite hoping to see some BCGers on that list!

Quote: rwayne @ March 10 2011, 1:59 PM GMT

How do you know you aren't through?

Feeoree, whilst I completely understand that you're managing your own expectations, I would like to echo other people in saying you should have (or at least feign) more confidence! Everyone gets nervous and filled with self-doubt, even the most accomplished writers, actors etc. You may well be counted in their number- you'd still be thinking, and telling people, you were crap.

If you can't do anything else, congratulate yourself that you acted on your ideas and imagination, wrote a piece and got it in by the deadline. This is more than countless other people will have done.

You can't influence an outcome like this by thinking either positively or negatively. So best not to think at all. I have used this approach throughout my life and have yet to make any friends.

I read somewhere too, that 17 scripts for the Laughing Stock comp had 17 of them referring to Jeremy Paxton.......great minds think alike?

Quote: twit in pyjamas @ March 10 2011, 9:04 PM GMT

You can't influence an outcome like this by thinking either positively or negatively. So best not to think at all.

Brilliant advice :) seems like something terry pratchett would say

Quote: bushbaby @ March 10 2011, 9:22 PM GMT

I read somewhere too, that 17 scripts for the Laughing Stock comp had 17 of them referring to Jeremy Paxton.......great minds think alike?

It was Jeremy Clarkson, and it was for The Sitcom Mission.

Who is Jeremy Paxton?

I thought the rules stated 'not to name drop'? This could be a famous person, designer brand or food/drink products. (because of copyright issues)

I don't think I name dropped anyone famous, why should I let some celebrity have a mention on my script? bollocks to 'em! lol

To be fair, Jeremy Paxton isn't famous.......

Quote: KLRiley @ March 10 2011, 9:26 PM GMT

Who is Jeremy Paxton?

Jeese, have I got the wrong name? I think I mean the one that does the motor car prog
They also said they'd got them with transvestites, well. I would just love to see a sitcom with transvestites and why not? It totally pisses me off that these people that be, select what they think the viewers want........wrong most times. I want a barking mad sitcom with transvestites please

Jeremy Clarkson - 6'4" Arrogant Top Gear presenter who could do with being pied again

To all,

I stand (actually I'm sitting, but you know what I mean) in awe at the dedication you all seem to have in writing stuff. I certainly don't have the write stuff, I just write for relaxation and have no illusions about success or recognition.

I did enter two scripts into the sitcommission but I'm not expecting anything to happen differently on Monday compared to any other day (at least for me, some of you will be pleasantly elated I can foretell) so Tuesday I'll just go into work as normal. The scripts I did were merely for my enjoyment - I liked writing them - but there isn't any way that they would pass all of Simon's and Declan's criteria or all your more experienced considerations.
- one of them has at least five "What's" exclaimed after doing something whacky,
- one has exposition through a received letter (better than the telephone, but only slightly)
- one has flat-sharing-male-female-role-reversal-man-not-earning ( sooo last century, I know)
- one has a character who has to change costume 3 times (where and when's he going to do that in a 15 minute production I ask?)
- one had some elements that are topical (which will be meaningless according to the 2 year rule)

On the plus side, though
- no work done on premise/character breakdowns/future episodes (or anything really)
- no chafing underpants (some loose boxer shorts, though)
- no mention of Jeremy Clarkson (or Chas & Dave)
- no post apocalyptic zombies (possibly a pre-apocalyptic sleepwalker in episode 2)
- no children or animals (I did have animals eating children but thought I might run into problems with keeping 20 hyenas quiet before their cue)
- no Harrier jump jets ( same reason )

All of this is good news to you because it is 2 more scripts that will be eliminated out of the 1244 entered giving you more talented and dedicated people a chance.

Good luck to you all and I wish the final 32 every success.