The Sitcom Mission 2011 Page 20

Quote: Krusty @ February 20 2011, 11:29 PM GMT

Hi declan. I'd love some clarification on format. There doesn't seem to be anything in the guide re formatting (unless I've missed it)I'm typing my script using microsoft works. Can I simply attach the file/document to an email, and send via my hotmail accont? Thanks in advance for your speedy and informative reply.

That's what I did and it worked ok :)

Hi guys

1) We're quite happy to have a pilot this time around as if you're successful we'll be asking for two more episodes to prove you're not a one-trick pony. We won't be showcasing pilot episodes though because industry don't want to see episode 1.

2) Sorry about the four chairs and two tables thing. We do say 'think John Godber', who is notorious for using small sets.

3) You don't HAVE to send us a synopsis and character list. And we won't judge you down if you don't. If you send us a cracking character list and a rubbish script, it's not going to help you. If you do decide to send us one, just put it at the beginning of the script, we can scroll through it.

4) There's been plenty of times on the forum where we've said 'send us a PDF', but we'll happily take anything that we can open (we'd prefer not to have Final Draft if possible, you can export it as a PDF I believe).

Hope that helps.

While I'm here, just to say thanks to everyone (writers and actors) who came along to our Help! I've Written A Script workshops this weekend. We're also going to be running an Introduction to Sitcom Writing workshop on April 2nd. Details are here:

https://www.comedy.co.uk/sitcom_mission/workshops/2/

Cheers, Declan

Think I'll sit this one out. The thing I've written isn't funny enough, or too stupid, and I shouldn't really enter the same script I entered for Laughing Stock for this (which Ironically started out as my pre-existing Script I was going to use for this).

Quote: Feeoree @ February 21 2011, 2:45 PM GMT

Think I'll sit this one out. The thing I've written isn't funny enough, or too stupid, and I shouldn't really enter the same script I entered for Laughing Stock for this (which Ironically started out as my pre-existing Script I was going to use for this).

You've got nothing to lose by entering both, I have entered both, but I think The Sitcom Mission is the beter prize, you never know you might win both.

I may well enter it to both. It'll certainly be different in terms of settings and even dialogue too. Just the same story and characters. And it started off as Sitcom Mission anyway, I may just cut down my characters from 7 to 5, it'll be more managable if I'm lucky enough to get through.

Maybe it's still worth sending in. I don't know, I'm feeling quite inferior this week, more so than usual. Bah.

I'll get to work on re-writing later.

Declan/Simon, is it okay to sent the PDF in a screenplay format for now? The Celtx theatre format seems to be not as neat compared to the examples in this thread, and when trying to re-jig it, OpenOffice writer is making even more of a dog's dinner of it.

That's fine, just don't have references to zoom in and camera angles if you can avoid them.

Cheers, Declan

It's 5:14am, less than a week until the contest closes, what a great time to start work on this! I honestly thought that the contest closed on the 21st the same time as Laughing Stock. It might be late in the game but thank God for injury time.

I have an idea, an unusual one I'll admit, so I'm hoping originallity can win me some points or at least give it that little edge.

It's a redo-ing of an old animated mini-series I was working on about a year ago, though this will be done into live action so it can actually be considered (it's either that or sock puppets).

Now for a few questions about setting it out. This would be my first entry and while I've read the T&Cs I've still got a few problems.
Are we allowed to have an overhead narration? I'm thinking the main character is on stage, sitting still but also narration over?
Also, a few of my scenes are three different locations in quick succession. I know that's not allowed but these are three VERY simple layouts which could be changed/set up in seconds, and would only involve two characters.

Hi abc

That's all ok

Cheers, Declan

Quote: Declan @ February 21 2011, 11:13 PM GMT

That's fine, just don't have references to zoom in and camera angles if you can avoid them.

Cheers, Declan

Excellent, cheers!

is it possible to include children, is we hear them on a recording but don't actually see them?

Declan/Simon, is it okay to sent the PDF in a screenplay format for now? The Celtx theatre format seems to be not as neat compared to the examples in this thread, and when trying to re-jig it, OpenOffice writer is making even more of a dog's dinner of it.

Certainly is OK. You can send us Word docs, Celtx, Pages, Neo Office, Final Draft (.fdr not .fdx as we haven't upgraded to FD8). About the only thing we can't open are Movie Magic Screenwriter files.

Just make sure we can read it.

I can't stress this enough; if you're worried about formatting for us you're worrying about the wrong things. It's hard enough to write something that is funny, original, marketable and stageable as it is. Those are the things to focus on. We don't obsess about page count, font, layout etc. Just MAKE US LAUGH AND MAKE SURE WE CAN STAGE IT.

Having said that, it's probably not a good idea to do as one writer did and indicate every time who someone is talking to. In a duologue:

BILL (to Ben) How are you?
BEN (to Bill) Fine. And you?
BILL (to Ben) Alright.

It was an exhausting read. And the dialogue was worse.

Another bizarre thing that's turned up surprisingly often is the writer who writes dialogue and action in the same style:

BILL Have you seen Ben? He puts the teapot on the table.

Sorry about this Bill and Ben stuff, but my brains have turned to mush.

Is it possible to include children, is we hear them on a recording but don't actually see them?

We strongly advise people to use sound f/x and voice-over. It's the most economical way to indicate a scene change. For example if you need the audience to know that our bare stage is now an airport departure lounge you can either cover that with clunky dialogue, or simply have an announcement that flight F939 to Frankfurt is boarding at gate 17.

In this particular case we'd really need to know how much dialogue you want the kids to carry and how old they're supposed to sound.

Quote: abfc bjk @ February 22 2011, 5:28 AM GMT

Also, a few of my scenes are three different locations in quick succession. I know that's not allowed but these are three VERY simple layouts which could be changed/set up in seconds, and would only involve two characters.

You can have different areas of the stage lit at different times, and your characters can move between them. This worked fine for me and others last year.

Quote: simon wright @ February 22 2011, 6:11 PM GMT

I can't stress this enough; if you're worried about formatting for us you're worrying about the wrong things. It's hard enough to write something that is funny, original, marketable and stageable as it is. Those are the things to focus on. We don't obsess about page count, font, layout etc. Just MAKE US LAUGH AND MAKE SURE WE CAN STAGE IT.

Understood.

I typed my manuscript with two fingers. Is that ok or should I go back and type it using all my fingers?

Hi All. This is my first post, and hopefully not the last post (stop playing that bugle). Anyway, I've decided to enter a script to the Sitcom Mission competition and have taken all the advice that all you talented people have shared in the posts up to now. Having written something I then became worried about length (don't go there, too obvious} so did a read through with appropriate pauses for audience laughter (only added about 10 seonds overall) - it came to 22 minutes. OK, I thought, I'll ditch the Harrier Jump jet landing on the talking pig, and also the Masai warriors dancing around the open fire, also dropped the live shark and the bit where the characters have a paintball contest. Now it was nearer 15 minutes.

I then spotted the Laughing Stock competition. Great! They probably will be happy with harrier jump jets landing on masai warriors with live sharks playing paint ball. Let's do it. Wrote a second script, but then on 21st Feb noted that it had to be a postal entry - AAArrrggghhh! - so, sorry Declan but you're getting that one too (waste not want not). By the way, I was joking about the live shark - it's actually a goldfish painted grey. Unless you know someone who can rent me a geat white?

Good luck all.

Ten seconds!! Oh my god. I think you might consider a recount....or possibly a rewrite.