The Sitcom Mission 2011 Page 16

Quote: bushbaby @ February 11 2011, 11:58 PM GMT

you're allowed to quote five words without copyright

If that was so you couldn't quote the titles of Doctor Strangelove (Or How I Learnt to Stop Worrying and Learnt to Love the Bomb) or Everything You Wanted to Know About Sex But Were Afraid to Ask and so on...

Quote: Tim Azure @ February 12 2011, 3:53 PM GMT

If that was so you couldn't quote the titles of Doctor Strangelove (Or How I Learnt to Stop Worrying and Learnt to Love the Bomb) or Everything You Wanted to Know About Sex But Were Afraid to Ask and so on...

You can if you ask permission.
You couldn't legally copy a paragraph from my husband's novel, and include it in one of your works, for instance, without permission. [except five words]
But we digress....back to the comp :)

is the deadline 14th or 28th Feb - conflicting reports

Quote: Hutchy @ February 12 2011, 5:04 PM GMT

is the deadline 14th or 28th Feb - conflicting reports

It's 28th February (Monday was the original deadline though!).

Congratulations on the Hat Trick deal, Dec & Si. Why, I might be tempted to enter myslef. As t'were.

Kev F

Is there the possibilty of using imaginary chairs and tables instead of real ones? Sick

Is there the possibilty of using imaginary chairs and tables instead of real ones?

Only if we can get hold of some. You know what Argos are like.

Quote: simon wright @ February 13 2011, 12:08 PM GMT

Is there the possibilty of using imaginary chairs and tables instead of real ones?

Only if we can get hold of some. You know what Argos are like.

Thanks Simon ,I've looked in the catalogue and there isn't even a section for imaginary stage props looks like I'll have to use real ones.

Just a reminder that there are still places left on the workshop on Feb 19th This is for those who have a script that they would like to workshop.

We've bumped one writer from the 20th to the 19th so that he can work with a particular actress which means we now have one place left on Feb 20th.

Did the debate about modifying Laughing Stock entries to submit to SitCommission ever get resolved?

Surely this can't be done if, say, a writer was lucky enough to be selected for the BBC LS Residential in June, where their idea would be developed.

The Beeb wouldn't be too pleased if the writer then had to say: "Oh, by the way. A version of this idea will be showcased throughout June and July in SitCommission."

After all, the BBC are after fresh, unproduced sitcom ideas.

====== EDIT =======

Not that I'd submit the same sitcom. If I enter Sitcommission, it will be with another sitcom.

I'm just puzzled as to why the date for entry was changed from the 14th Feb to the 28th Feb because another company comes on board............der

The sitcom I sent to Laughing Stock was an extended (and expanded to a few other outside scenes too) version of my Sitcom Mission script (I wrote for Sitcom Mission as I decided to enter that a while before I decided to enter Laughing Stock).

I'm hoping to enter Sitcom Mission still, just reckon I'll have to write something much different. I do have a couple of other ideas milling around in my head.

Quote: Griff @ February 15 2011, 9:51 PM GMT

The odds of being picked for BBC comp is maybe 1 in 40 (if they shortlist 25 out of the likely 1000 entries), the odds of being picked for Sitcom Mission is maybe slightly higher, maybe 1 in 20? (if Declan and Simon pick 30 writers to go onto the next stage, out of 600 submissions).

The rough odds of being picked for both is therefore about 800-1 against (ignoring the fact that some scripts are better than others so obviously it's not really the same odds for everyone - my maths isn't good enough to factor that in).

So I think most writers are assuming it's a problem they won't have to deal with. Still, with the number of writers involved there'll probably be one poor bastard who ends up in that situation.

I guess I'm the eternal optimist. :P

I still think I'd rather enter a different sitcom.

1) As far as we're concerned you can enter both Laughing Stock and The Sitcom Mission, but just put the effort in and write your scripts accordingly.

2) The deadline changed because, after the launch in Broadcast of the partnership with Hat Trick which would bring added publicity, there would have only been three days to the original deadline. By extending to the 28th, there was an extra two weeks.

3) The Sunday workshop has now sold out. There's one place left on Saturday 19th.

Have a guess how many scripts we've received so far... (I'm not going to tell you, but I'd be interested to know how many you think!)

Still don't get it Declan...the extended closing date. Added publicity? Why would late comers benefit when others/loyal strived for months to reach the 14th Feb deadline.
But guess it's...the first shall be last and the last shall be first aghhhhhh...............as is the effin' norm