The Sitcom Mission 2011 Page 14

Quote: Mark @ February 11 2011, 11:42 AM GMT

For those using Microsoft Word (or pretty much anything actually), just install http://www.dopdf.com/ (it's free). Then go to 'print' the document, but instead of selecting your actual paper printer, choose the 'Do PDF' option from the dropdown, and it will make you an electronic PDF :)

Thanks mark, I'll give it a try :)

On second thoughts, I can't as at the moment, when I go into Word, the screen goes black, then comes on again and all the border at the bottom goes turquoise. A window then comes up to say it can't find Abbey fine reader. I click that off and then I'm in. The same happens in reverse when I come out. So I won't fiddle about it may confuse it more.

On the subject of pdfs don't forget neo office (which is a free download). You have the option to export as pdf directly from the file menu.

I think it's a brilliant piece of software and I use it instead of Apple's own word-processor.

Quote: Feeoree @ February 11 2011, 11:37 AM GMT

What do you use? I use Celtx, and you can create a PDF by going to 'Typset/PDF' and go to the top of that, where it says Save as PDF, or something along those lines.

As for Final Draft, I can't remember. I don't have my own full copy, it's in there somewhere.

I tried Celtx some time ago and couldn't understand how to format ....LOL I must be extremely thick

Does anybody have any experience of the cloud based programmes like 5 sprockets and script buddy? There's no download, they work in your browser and you can get feedback on your script from their respective communities.

Don't distract me from writing with yet more writing software! :)

This is why I write in plain txt. I can't resist fiddling with "productivity software". <--- Irony here for those who haven't spotted it.

I've heard last years winner mentioned a bit - is the script available to peruse anywhere?

Wales

]I've heard last years winner mentioned a bit - is the script available to peruse anywhere?

We don't own the script, Bryn Mills does. I'm pretty sure that he stalks this forum, so you might get a pm in future.

Another of the FAQs is: 'Can I enter more than one script?'

Answer: Yes. As many as you like. Just make sure they're all funny, original, marketable and stageable.

Incidentally, if you're writing for live performance beware that little word 'the'.

It's so easy to write: 'Bill crosses to THE fridge, gets a beer and sits down at THE table. Ben enters, flops down on THE sofa...' etc.

It's an awful lot easier to write that than it is to manhandle a fridge, a table and a sofa onstage. And get them off again at the end of the scene. And store them in the wings. And take them home between shows because the Theatre wants the wing space.

'The'..Grrrr

Hi Everyone Wave
I've just submitted by sit-com script but after reading all the comments on the forum site, I'm worried because I sent it as an attachment. Can't access Outlook Express for some strange reason. Will it still be considered?

Does anyone know what type of performance space the theatre is i.e. is a studio space with the audience encircling the stage or a traditional stage with wings and the audience at the front?

If you're Susan Hazell, then yes, we've received it.

Quote: simon wright @ February 11 2011, 5:03 PM GMT

Incidentally, if you're writing for live performance beware that little word 'the'.

It's so easy to write: 'Bill crosses to THE fridge, gets a beer and sits down at THE table. Ben enters, flops down on THE sofa...' etc.

It's an awful lot easier to write that than it is to manhandle a fridge, a table and a sofa onstage. And get them off again at the end of the scene. And store them in the wings. And take them home between shows because the Theatre wants the wing space.

'The'..Grrrr

I thought the point was for the piece to be easily stageable.

Your directors don't want to have to decide to put two chairs together to stage a sofa? Presumably, as long as people aren't (critically) bouncing on it, stretched out on it, searching the back of it for spare change, etc, a sofa is easily 'done' with the available chairs.

(I'm asking for others. In my piece, a couple have just taken possession of a new home. There aren't even any light bulbs in the room.)

Quote: Griff @ February 10 2011, 12:26 PM GMT

All across Britain I can hear the sound of Laughing Stock entries being hastily converted to 15-minute stage plays...

I hear the sound of the hordes joining the Board just to check this thread.

(Much to Aaron's chagrin, I expect.)

Quote: JohnnyD @ February 11 2011, 6:42 PM GMT

Your directors don't want to have to decide to put two chairs together to stage a sofa? Presumably, as long as people aren't (critically) bouncing on it, stretched out on it, searching the back of it for spare change, etc, a sofa is easily 'done' with the available chairs.

And if that doesn't suit, DFS have got a sale on...

Does anyone know what type of performance space the theatre is i.e. is a studio space with the audience encircling the stage or a traditional stage with wings and the audience at the front?

It's a more traditional space with a wide stage and entrances on stage left (downstage) and two stage right one opposite the stage left entrance and one up right. There is wing space stage right, but not left.

There's also a curtain that can cover the entire upstage area so it's also possible to enter up centre as well.

The audience is at the front and the seating is steeply raked which means you can have scenes on the floor.

Because we perform more than one show per night it means that lights can't be refocussed so don't rely on spot lighting, think general wash.

Your directors don't want to have to decide to put two chairs together to stage a sofa?

We had actually thought of that.

How about a working fridge?

Just realised I do have two short bits where characters are on a Sofa (most of it happens in a flat!) I shall delete the sofa from existence.

I thought the idea of less set/props was the best option. Mine has two chairs [hardback] together as a sofa and one chair near to as an easy chair.
Anyone seen Merrily We Roll Along, Sondheim? The set consists of two small tables and four hardback chairs, it stands for an apartment/office/audition room etc. The audience just use their imagination :)