Grandma's House - Series 1 Page 35

Isn't that a sitcom about Scottish whiskey?

Quote: bushbaby @ September 7 2010, 9:34 PM BST

Ok, with the Beeb's rules of six laughs a page, do you belly-laugh 180 times during Grandma's House, Matthew?

475 times, on average.

I don't think I've belly laughed 180 times to any single sitcom episode, ever.

Quote: Ben @ September 7 2010, 9:35 PM BST

I thought it was 3 laughs per page, to be honest. And even at that rate, I doubt there's any sitcom that makes me laugh 90 times in half an hour.

In their Last Laugh competition they stipulated six laughs a page. That makes me laugh as they don't stick to their own rules. It's all about who you know or who you don't. Trust me. But I'm not bitter hahahaha

Quote: Matthew Stott @ September 7 2010, 5:11 PM BST

Then it's just a sitcom you don't find funny.

Not really. She is saying it isn't a sitcom because it doesn't meet any of the normal requirements of a sitcom definition apart from the 30 mins length. Truth to tell it is neither fish nor fowl. Or vegetarian.

You can't tell me that Frasier isn't a laugh every other line and that's sitcom....so the rules say.

Quote: Ben @ September 7 2010, 8:35 PM BST

I can't help but think you're wrong about everything, BB!

Ben, Ben, Ben. Tsk.

Quote: Marc P @ September 7 2010, 9:56 PM BST

Not really. She is saying it isn't a sitcom because it doesn't meet any of the normal requirements of a sitcom definition apart from the 30 mins length. Truth to tell it is neither fish nor fowl. Or vegetarian.

Come on, whether it fits some of these apparent rules or not, it's a sitcom. It may not be Hi-De-Hi, but it's a sitcom. Perhaps a more modern, or recent, permutation on the form, but it still is. Maybe it doesn't fit comfortably into some peoples' idea of what a sitcom is or should be, but it still is one.

Quote: bushbaby @ September 7 2010, 10:00 PM BST

You can't tell me that Frasier isn't a laugh every other line and that's sitcom....so the rules say.

What? Yes, Frasier is a sitcom.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ September 7 2010, 10:02 PM BST

Marc! Sticking up for BBaby? I'm Shocked!!

But in truth, whether it fits some of these apparent rules or not, it's a sitcom. It may not be Hi-De-Hi, but it's a sitcom. Perhaps a more modern, or recent, permutation on the form, but it still is. Maybe it doesn't fit comfortably into some peoples idea of what a sitcom is or should be, but it still is one.

What? Yes, Frasier is a sitcom.

Matthew enough with that already. You can call a donkey a horse if you want to. I was engaging in the debate in a broader sense. Call it a post modern sitcom if you like, but BB has a point. Anything can be anything if you like - but this is comedy drama at best. Shooting it hand held and cheap and running for 30 mins doesn't make it a swan.

###But in truth, whether it fits some of these apparent rules or not, it's a sitcom. It may not be Hi-De-Hi, but it's a sitcom. Perhaps a more modern, or recent, permutation on the form, but it still is. Maybe it doesn't fit comfortably into some peoples idea of what a sitcom is or should be, but it still is one.###

But Matthew, I write sitcom after sitcom abiding by the rules...i.e....six laughs a page and they are constantly rejected. Trust me, you have to be 'in' and know someone to be acknowledged. Simon had an 'in' as did Caroline Ahern. It's not for the average punter/writer/member of the public. It's a farce the whole business. Even though via the TV license we pay their wages. You try getting 'your' sitcom accepted....impossible. Grandma's House is NOT a sitcom, it is a light drama with some humour, and mediocre at that. We all have a family tale to tell but could you get it on the box? Could you hell as like. And this particular one is about a Jewish family. Jewish humour is second to none in my opinion and Simon misses it by a million miles

Do you think The Royle Family is a sitcom or not?

I personally laugh more at Grandma's House than at that. And I find the style similar.

Quote: Marc P @ September 7 2010, 10:09 PM BST

Matthew enough with that already. You can call a donkey a horse if you want to. I was engaging in the debate in a broader sense. Call it a post modern sitcom if you like, but BB has a point. Anything can be anything if you like - but this is comedy drama at best. Shooting it hand held and cheap and running for 30 mins doesn't make it a swan.

Well I don't agree obviously, I'm pretty positive it's a sitcom. I don't even see what the argument is here.

Quote: zooo @ September 7 2010, 10:10 PM BST

I personally laugh more at Grandma's House than at that. And I find the style similar.

Yes, RF is a sitcom too.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ September 7 2010, 10:11 PM BST

Well I don't agree obviously, I'm pretty positive it's a sitcom. I don't even see what the argument is here.

Well then why are you joining in??? :D Have you written a sitcom Matthew?

Quote: Marc P @ September 7 2010, 10:13 PM BST

Well then why are you joining in??? :D Have you written a sitcom Matthew?

Why?

Quote: zooo @ September 7 2010, 10:10 PM BST

That maybe because you are not a northerner (although I don't know that). It is hilarious to northerners as they recognise themselves.

This is is the show's thread though, not the Writing forum! You don't have to have written a sitcom to be able to have an opinion on what one is. :)