Roger & Val Have Just Got In - Series 1 Page 9

I've avoided being patronising so far, but it has of course occured to me that this is a generation based sitcom, it's aimed at 40 odd years old plus viewers who do not mind being reminded that life has slowed down somewhat for them and much of their time is spent twaddling about doing very little and making mountains out of molehills just to pass the time. Love it. And yes, younger peeps, that probably will be you too, one day.

To be honest I'm a little bit surprised that this has got such a negative (weeell, luke-warm, Marmite-ish) response, I like it quite a lot (and it makes me laugh out loud too!) I've only seen 2 eps so far but I'm looking forward to the rest. The first ep was good but I thought the second one was a bit better. I laughed particularly at the phone call to Roger's colleague in the first ep and found quite a lot funny about the second. Did anyone get that one of them is possibly infertile? I'm sure one of them (think it was Val) told the other to go have a baby (or some babies or summats) with an ex. That would make it quite a lot sweeter for me, them being so strong together despite this (what is obviously an issue if it 'was' mentioned).
And why doesn't anyone like Dawn French?? I lurve her! Is it cos she's married to Token Henry?

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ September 2 2010, 1:13 PM BST

I've avoided being patronising so far, but it has of course occured to me that this is a generation based sitcom, it's aimed at 40 odd years old plus viewers who do not mind being reminded that life has slowed down somewhat for them and much of their time is spent twaddling about doing very little and making mountains out of molehills just to pass the time. Love it. And yes, younger peeps, that probably will be you too, one day.

Well I'm 33 and single and I really enjoy it! (33 is young, it IS young!)

I like Dawn French!
(She's split up with Lenny now hasn't she?) :(

Ian, it seems to be because of The Vicar Of Dibley.

A strong episode emotionally. Not funny, mind.

I only watched 1.5 episodes.

It put me to sleep almost, I'm surprised they didn't die of boredom making it.

God forbid anyone who was making chips at the time it was on. The fire service had better put a warning out.

Am smitten with this show and another excellently written & performed episode. No disrespect to those under 30, but I suspect the audience for this is more late-30s and above. There will be a lot of identification with Roger & Val amongst the middle-aged who've been married a fair few years (or those who are friends with such couples).

I'm very curious to see how much is resolved in episode 6 and whether a second series, if commissioned, would be a good idea. I'd quite happily have another six of these, but I wonder where the focus of the underlying story of these two would go. Will be interesting to see whether anything is set-up in the last episode. The show does need an underlying story arc, I think, and won't work if it relies on the underlying back-story featured so far. A new challenge/story needed for any second series?

Over-30s? Oh, dear God... should I be worried that I really love this show?!

Quote: Tom Simpson @ September 4 2010, 7:18 PM BST

Over-30s? Oh, dear God... should I be worried that I really love this show?!

Not at all! I'm just suggesting that I can see why it might not broadly appeal to the younger generation. ;)

Oh, I love it... I'm all for OTT stunts, gags etc, but I just love this for the fact that it's enjoyable, slow-paced, and I'm enjoying seeing the characters develop. :) Definetley one of my favourite, err... comedy dramas of 2010!

I'll be astonished if this doesn't get another series, there'll be an outcry (from its fans, I know this show has polarised opinion). Rarely have I thought the BBC have got a programme idea so right, in the last few years anyway. I'm glad they seem to be taking risks again - see what can be achieved by not following formulas! Also if this show doesn't win a few gongs I'll be very surprised.

I've watched another episode just so I can say I'd given it a fair chance. And even though I am in the demographic, and can relate to a lot of it, I still don't find it funny.

It all just seems a bit smug, simple and boring.

The real time element is interesting though and I'd like to see it again, but it's got to be more interesting.

Quote: zooo @ September 3 2010, 9:04 PM BST

I like Dawn French!
(She's split up with Lenny now hasn't she?) :(

I would have loved to be a fly on the wall in their house. :D

Quote: Juan Kerr @ September 1 2010, 10:54 PM BST

I see a comedy that isnt funny as a bit of a problem for someone!

If it came under the genre of drama then for me it would be fine - it would be a whimsical, light hearted ok drama.

For me it was just hard work - you know - one of those shows that you look at yor watch and think 'oh no - there are still 10 minutes left' - never a good sign.

But the Beeb categorise it as a comedy - so with my simple nature I expect at least a couple of good laughs. I've decided to reclassify it in my mind as 'not comedy' - this way I will be able to watch it for what it actually is.

I look at my watch, and I see 25 minutes left.

Ooh, none of you R&V knockers would last ten minutes at the theatre would you, and I don't mean musical theatre. Pirandello, Beckett, Brecht, Pinter, Leigh, Aykbourn, Cartwright et al. Philistines. Not them, you R&V dismissers. I think it does help to have a little bit of a liking for theatre, as this class prog is definitely an offspring of kitchen sinky/domestic comedy theatre.

Theatre's great. Roger & Val Have Just Got In is merely alright.