Roger & Val Have Just Got In - Series 1 Page 10

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ September 5 2010, 12:27 PM BST

Ooh, none of you R&V knockers would last ten minutes at the theatre would you,

You're right, I hate the theatre. Can't pause it to ask 'what did he say?'. I know I should try to appreciate it, but I just can't be bothered.

I think this series has been great all round. Being a two-hander, with that pathos it reminds me of Steptoe.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ September 5 2010, 12:27 PM BST

Ooh, none of you R&V knockers would last ten minutes at the theatre would you, and I don't mean musical theatre. Pirandello, Beckett, Brecht, Pinter, Leigh, Aykbourn, Cartwright et al. Philistines. Not them, you R&V dismissers. I think it does help to have a little bit of a liking for theatre, as this class prog is definitely an offspring of kitchen sinky/domestic comedy theatre.

Precisely, it's not TV. It would make a far better one off play. Everything could be done and dusted in one sitting. I'm not convinced this has anything to say over the long haul.

Quote: Aaron @ September 5 2010, 2:13 PM BST

Theatre's great. Roger & Val Have Just Got In is merely alright.

Ey? "Theatre's great." Er - right. Some theatre is great. Like some TV. Eg Roger and Val! I guess they've kind of hit the jackpot because it seems people either love it or hate it. And if they hate it they really hate it enough to post a comment etc. All of which goes to show they're doing something right.

Quote: Col Jenkins @ September 6 2010, 6:01 PM BST

people either love it or hate it. And if they hate it they really hate it enough to post a comment etc. All of which goes to show they're doing something right.

Think you're onto something there, Herr Colonel. The Great Outdoors came and went without a lot of impact one way or another, not this one. I must be one of the few who vote "like" rather than love or hate. The Missus loves it - we watch it at different times via iPlayer and I can hear her laughing out loud at scenes that just made me smile.

Quote: Col Jenkins @ September 6 2010, 6:01 PM BST

Ey? "Theatre's great." Er - right. Some theatre is great.

Quite.

How many's that now, 4 or 5?, lost count. Anyway that last one set up next week's beautifully. Or did it? Because the previous one had little to do with this one. Events must have happened during the week that they talked about in last ep but it feels like I've missed one. Can't have though, I know I saw last week's, I think!

It's unusual what they're doing but very interesting, if I've got it right. There is an arc but we're being asked to piece that arc together, is that right? So, next week, in a conventional sitcom/drama following a storyline, we would expect to see Val still at her mum's or where ever women go in a huff. But because this is a real time show, I am expecting her to be back at home, and they will be getting on fine, but will of course give us the odd reference to the fall out last week. So, we are just getting a real time snippet (every Friday night) of a couple's life together as if it were real. This may have seemed obvious to others but I don't think I've seen a real time drama serial before, so this is quite fascinating for me. Hmm? Yes, yes I know.

And it's definitely NOT a sitcom. With Rev (closer to a sitcom but still comedy drama) and now this, it seems the BBC have developed the half hour comedy drama, which is a nice change, imo.

Morning.

They are both sitcoms.
Just of an unusual style.

Yes, in the style of comedy drama. :)

But still sitcoms.

Hmm, well then that would make excellent programmes like for example, Tutti Frutti and Budgie 50 minute sitcoms. I don't see a problem with that reckoning, only that it does away with established categories, notably the funny comedy drama. (Not all are that funny.) On that point, I'd say both above programmes were funnier than R&V, and yet R&V is 'supposed' to be a sitcom. That's why I'm not that convinced it is, or even that it's supposed to be.

If anything it's a one off, or it just is what it is. But I suppose reviewers and media listing agents need to categorise it, like every other show. I just wonder if 'sitcom' is the the right listing for it. I think it may even get a better response from some who are expecting their sitcoms to be funny, but still see merit in it. Call it a comedy drama and I'm sure more viewers would be saying, that's not a bad comedy drama, raised a smile or two. Maybe?

I'm wondering if duration is the main reason for your sitcom listing?

Furthermore R&V, especially the last episode, had better quality drama in it (emotional drama) than many listed Dramas I've seen. The majority of them get no where near the depth that R&V achieves. And this is a sitcom! Well, is it?

It's a sitcom in the style of Sensitive Skin, Up In Town and Marion And Geoff, all produced by Hugo Blick. And I think he's been involved in this show as well, which would explain the similarities in tone.

Sitcom doesn't mean 'no depth'.

Quote: zooo @ September 7 2010, 10:34 AM BST

Sitcom doesn't mean 'no depth'.

You've obviously never read Alfred's.