Grandma's House - Series 1 Page 15

Quote: Aaron @ August 12 2010, 3:55 PM BST

Well, of course you like it; there was nothing wrong with it. :)

But I went into it with an attitude of "This is going to be awful" and actually laughed a few times.

I'm sick in the head, I'm evil, I'm the kind of person to blame for everything that's wrong with the world. I watched Simon Amstell and ENJOYED it!

I'm no fan of Amstell either David, and went into it with hope but no expectations (negative or positive) whatsoever - but like I said, there was nothing wrong with it, hence we laughed! :)

The thing is, I'm normally quite a forgiving comedy fan. I'm usually the one to laugh the earliest and the loudest at the littlest things.

But for me, Grandma's House didn't even have the littlest things... it had nothing.

I wouldn't say it had nothing, it had quite a few funny moments.

I think Simon Amstell was just being 'him' as the trailers suggested, he is 'Simon' whereas the rest of the cast were actually acting.

It's a bit of an odd one and I'll have to watch the next one to see if my enjoyment of the first episode was just a fluke.

Only thing I don't like is the shitty title.

Simon, would have been a simpler one and a more obvious choice.

Episode two coming soon!

I was expecting to not like this too (partly cos of some of the responses on here), but I quite enjoyed it.

I agree Simon Amstell's performance (as himself) was rubbish. Still, I reckon he can write himself pretty well even if he can't play himself.

It was probably a bit static (for the first 10 minutes I thought it'd work better as a radio comedy), but had some nice jokes and if they sharpened it up and maybe had a bit more plot I think it'd be a damn fine sitcom.

And obviously they'll need someone to play Simon Amstell other than Simon Amstell. :D

Good stuff. Particularly enjoyed the bagel exchange toward the beginning of the episode.

I just can't get into it. Amstell can't carry it at all and the script just strikes me as dull and pointless. I doubt I'll bother with ep 3. Life's too short.

I thought that was rather good once again, very funny. Amstell's own performance felt a slight notch up aswell.

I don't know what everyone's problem is with Amstell's performance.
I genuinely don't see anything wrong with it. It's very naturalistic.

Quote: zooo @ August 16 2010, 10:34 PM BST

I genuinely don't see anything wrong with it. It's very naturalistic.

I don't have a 'problem' with it, but he's obviously no great shakes as an actor, I don't think naturalistic or not really comes into it. But I do personally like the way he performs in the show.

Quote: zooo @ August 16 2010, 10:34 PM BST

IMO, it's one note and lacks nuance and depth.