Grandma's House - Series 1 Page 18

Quote: bushbaby @ August 17 2010, 2:18 PM BST

This to me is becoming the king's clothes

That suggests you think the people who do like it are kidding themselves/lying/idiots. Eh?

Quote: bushbaby @ August 17 2010, 2:18 PM BST

It is so boring and just conversation in a house. The direction/acting/camera work leaves something to be desired.
A sitcom, according to the Beeb should have a beginning a middle and an end.
Also what about stereotypes? Constantly that is a rejection excuse, what is sterotype if it's not the 'every day' person? I'd say therefore, all the characters in this are stereotyped.
I like humour Matthew, I wake up laughing most mornings trying to fathom out just why I'm so happy. I find something to laugh about in most things. I looked forward to this as I did Inn Mates but that was geared to youngsters.
This to me is becoming the king's clothes.

As I said, I enjoyed it. It's not the second coming, but the two episodes so far have been, for me, very funny.

Quote: zooo @ August 17 2010, 2:20 PM BST

That suggests you think the people who do like it are kidding themselves/lying/idiots. Eh?

That annoys me sometimes when people talk about shows on here. Say something's shit, but accept others might like it if they say they do.

Quote: jacparov @ August 17 2010, 2:19 PM BST

I think The Royle Family was written by the stars of that show, Coogan wrote/co-wrote Partridge.

Do the BBC really have 'rules'? They are really just guiding principles that can be broken if you have the talent and can justify your decisions and artistic vision. Or some such shite.

The Royle Family was written by Caroline Ahern who had the privilege of acting out an episode for the producers. They loved it and so the rest is history. On the page, however, it wouldn't have got anywhere, so again it matters who you are, regardless as to whether this sounds like sour grapes.
I'd like to say I saw something funny in Grandma's House but me and hubby have watched both eps. I said nothing but asked him afterwards what he thought, he said he'd not seen such rubbish in ages.....he has a comedy novel published and short stories and has a keen sense of humour. Neither of us laughed once and trust me I tried. As I said, maybe I wouldn't be so annoyed had it not been advertised as a sitcom.
And Zooo I'm not implying anything, these are just my feelings and I'm allowed them.

Quote: bushbaby @ August 17 2010, 2:28 PM BST

he said he'd not seen such rubbish in ages.....he has a comedy novel published and short stories and has a keen sense of humour.

I'm sure he does have a good sense of humour, but there's not just one sense of humour! There's an infinite amount.

And Zooo I'm not implying anything, these are just my feelings and I'm allowed them.

Okay then. :)

Quote: jacparov @ August 17 2010, 2:07 PM BST

I agree, Amstell just isn't a big enough 'star' for that. I'd say 60-70% of people I know would neither of heard of nor recoginise him.

Pretty much everyone I know loved him on Buzzcocks and refer to Grandma's House as "Simon Amstell's new thing".

he said he'd not seen such rubbish in ages.....he has a comedy novel published and short stories and has a keen sense of humour.

So he didn't like it either. It's just not a show you like, that's all.

Quote: zooo @ August 17 2010, 2:30 PM BST

I'm sure he does have a good sense of humour, but there's not just one sense of humour! There's an infinite amount.

Maybe we've just heard it all before at our age then, particularly the car and the rear end, that bordered on filth and would perhaps have made me laugh in my youth, but not now

Quote: Chris Forshaw @ August 17 2010, 2:30 PM BST

Pretty much everyone I know loved him on buzzcocks and refer to Grandma's House as "Simon Amstell's new thing".

Alot depends on whether or not a person watched Buzzcocks I suppose. I only know one person other than myself that did. It's probably an age thing.

Quote: jacparov @ August 17 2010, 2:38 PM BST

Alot depends on whether or not a person watched Buzzcocks I suppose. I only know one person other than myself that did. It's probably an age thing.

It most probably is an age thing, I only watched Buzzocks once on the recommend of my grandson. I couldn't get that humour either

The Royle Family was written by Caroline Ahern who had the privilege of acting out an episode for the producers. They loved it and so the rest is history. On the page, however, it wouldn't have got anywhere, so again it matters who you are, regardless as to whether this sounds like sour grapes.
I'd like to say I saw something funny in Grandma's House but me and hubby have watched both eps. I said nothing but asked him afterwards what he thought, he said he'd not seen such rubbish in ages.....he has a comedy novel published and short stories and has a keen sense of humour. Neither of us laughed once and trust me I tried. As I said, maybe I wouldn't be so annoyed had it not been advertised as a sitcom.

Fair enough, I did laugh a few times and thought the dialogue was generally very good.

I think The Royle Family scripts are very funny actually, they are wonderfully written. I suppose it's the old comedy is subjective thing, there really is no accounting for taste! :)

On a side note I am just glad to see new comedy being made and broadcast. A couple of weeks ago Dad's Army was on at 8:30pm on a saturday night. I love Dad's Army but I think it is a bit much to show a 30/40 year old show on a primetime slot. It really is cheating the license payer.

What I did notice a few times in the dialogue, what could have been funny was ruined by the sentence carrying on (i.e. the 'joke' in the middle then a few words after it so you haven't time to laugh for listening), which is quite bad that nobody saw that in editing etc.

Quote: jacparov @ August 17 2010, 2:38 PM BST

Probably. That's why I was quite surprised to hear you say he wasn't that famous. I was under the impression he was pretty big news as far as TV goes.

Quote: Chris Forshaw @ August 17 2010, 3:00 PM BST

Probably. That's why I was quite surprised to hear you say he wasn't that famous. I was under the impression he was pretty big news as far as TV goes.

Nah - he's no Martin Clunes. :D

Quote: bushbaby @ August 17 2010, 1:56 PM BST

But a few laughs is not normally enough for the Beeb, their stipulation is at least three a page.

Have you ever considered that they make such stipulations to filter out shitty low-laugh-count writers as early as possible? Just because they ask for submissions of that standard doesn't mean that that's what a script would be like when filmed.

Quote: Aaron @ August 17 2010, 3:46 PM BST

Have you ever considered that they make such stipulations to filter out shitty low-laugh-count writers as early as possible? Just because they ask for submissions of that standard doesn't mean that that's what a script would be like when filmed.

Well, it could be debated until the cows come home but that's what they stipulate in a book I had by them. As I said it only seems to be, accepted scripts that don't keep to their rules. The mind boggles.

I do have a great sense of humour and it's reflected in my writing. I sent out some time ago two scripts I had written (The Royle Family). Andy Harris rang me....and you can't get much higher than that. He loved the scripts but said in the contract it stipulates that only Caroline Ahern can write for the series but had I got anything else I could send him....I hadn't at the time.