Sherlock Page 12

Quote: Marc P @ July 27 2010, 10:38 AM BST

And I bet it was talked about alot but in Sherlock he still should have said 'the games afoot' The game is on - jumped out at me like a particularly ugly clown from a birthday cake. I'd love to know what the discussions were on that one.

I thought they were being playful, defying the audience expectation by replacing 'the game is afoot' with a twist on the contemporary slang 'game on'. You had to be familiar with the original to get the joke, so it was not exactly dumbing down.

Quote: Timbo @ July 27 2010, 10:43 AM BST

I thought they were being playful, defying the audience expectation by replacing 'the game is afoot' with a variation of the contemporary slang 'game on'. You had to be familiar with the original to get the joke, so it was not exactly dumbing down.

Oh I agree, I reckon there was a lot of discussion, but sorry but Game on is not contemporary anymore either. Get in - maybe. :)

Quote: Timbo @ July 27 2010, 10:43 AM BST

I thought they were being playful, defying the audience expectation by replacing 'the game is afoot' with a twist on the contemporary slang 'game on'. You had to be familiar with the original to get the joke, so it was not exactly dumbing down.

The game's afoot sounds better, though. Rolls off the tongue.

I do think Jonathon Creek was much much closer to the original Holmes stories. With what's her name as a rather good Watson clone.

The emphasis on puzzles and mysteries, humour, other worldliness etc.

Quote: sootyj @ July 27 2010, 10:58 AM BST

The emphasis on puzzles and mysteries, humour, other worldliness etc.

But this was a pilot. I'd watch all three before reaching a definitive conclusion. That said, the Monk pilot was great.

Well ok but it's got a long way to got to improve.

The centrally weak msytery and obsession with technology let it down for me.

And the hmm how do I save Holmes? Moment and he shot the cabby.

That was like something from the Fast Show

Are you still banging on about not liking this Sooty? Blimey.

Are you still being annoyed me?

Am I you're Mori-farty?

Or I could send you a photo of a windmill to tilt at?

Quote: sootyj @ July 27 2010, 11:23 AM BST

Are you still being annoyed me?

I'm afraid it never gets to the annoyed stage, just twinges of bafflement.

This first episode rated a 7/10 on the Stott-o-meter, in case you think I was just bumming it; very enjoyable, but could do better.

Quote: Marc P @ July 27 2010, 10:38 AM BST

And I bet it was talked about alot but in Sherlock he still should have said 'the games afoot'

I agree very jolly much.

I dread to think what, "Elementary, my dear Watson" will become.

Perhaps he should have farted and said "Alimentary dear Watson"

The Dr Who comparison is a bit lame, especially as most of the Doctor actors could move into Holmes without stretching as Tom Baker did (both manic, huge brained, tweedy, asexual British eccentric)

Did I read there will be another Homes version with Sacha Baron-Cohen? It's hard to see him failing in that role.

All these different version will also discourage Fry and Laurie from ever having a go, especially as Hugh is now playing both parts as one person.

Quote: chipolata @ July 27 2010, 11:50 AM BST

I dread to think what, "Elementary, my dear Watson" will become.

Innit! I should imagine old bean.

I quite liked this but although I like Freeman in comedies, I would have rather had a more serious looking Watson. I think it would have helped suspend belief a bit more if Holmes had been asked on the QT to help the police (old school friend of Lestrade etc.)as the police overtly calling him in is just pish.