Have I Got News For You - Series 39 Page 5

I thought this week's was actually pretty weak. Does David Threlfall win the most quiet guest award? He barely said two words!

Quote: Mark @ April 16 2010, 8:58 PM BST

Does David Threlfall win the most quiet guest award? He barely said two words!

Didn't they once have an Elton John lookalike who said nothing?

David Threlfall looked like a really bad Dot Cotton drag act.

Apart from that, a fair episode. A few great bits, but nothing spectacular.

Quote: Mark @ April 16 2010, 8:58 PM BST

I thought this week's was actually pretty weak. Does David Threlfall win the most quiet guest award? He barely said two words!

Surely that goes to the tub of lard!

For those interested, this week's HIGNFY, which is the election special, has been moved to Friday.

Are they recording on Friday lunchtime?! Surely moving it to after the election will make it seem even more out of date?

Well, on Chris Addison's 7 Day Sunday this week, Armando Iannucci (one of this week's HIGNFY guests) said that they're not allowed to cover any political news in this particular episode. ;)

^^^
EDIT:

Actually, forget all that - it seems everything's changed. Iannucci tweeted earlier this week:

"can't do new HIGNFY rec on Friday morning 'cos will have been up all night. I'm hoping to do later in series"

Ooh, Friday morning! Intteresting.

Would watch that tonight, but I don't like Jo Brand.

Quote: Jack Massey @ May 7 2010, 7:14 PM BST

Would watch that tonight, but I don't like Jo Brand.

I'd give it a go on iPlayer (or Saturday's TV repeat) as it was funny... even if you don't like Jo Brand.

Worth watching to see Lembit Opik squirm, and for the 'historic' short period of time that Ian and Paul were, for the first time ever, on the same team.

Well done to Lembit - sort of liked him. Sort of.

I think they were unnecessarily cruel to Lembit, as was Paxman on election night. He was a good sport to come on and take it but there's a line between banter and cruelty.

Quote: Badge @ May 9 2010, 1:45 PM BST

I think they were unnecessarily cruel to Lembit, as was Paxman on election night. He was a good sport to come on and take it but there's a line between banter and cruelty.

Yeah, but there is a differance between Paxman and coming on HIGNFY.

Firstly, he's being paid to be there!

Secondly, he knew what he was walking into. To be fair he made a lot of the jokes himself.

Thirdly, it's his future for a while!

If you said a spade was spade Paxman would disagree.

I know Opik has and does bring it on himself but I just think it crossed the line with Hislop's "it was funny", or whatever he said.

Just watched the election episode this evening. Very good; felt a lot longer than the 42 minutes, but not in a negative dragging way. I would agree that a couple of the exchanges with Lembit were a bit odd, but I couldn't tell whether he was genuinely uncomfortable or just playing it up or what, at almost any point, so I didn't really have a problem with it.

Couldn't help thinking that Brand must have objected to making jokes at Labour/Brown/Mandy's expense.