Bellamy's People Page 7

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ February 5 2010, 10:54 AM GMT

The highlight last night was Felix Dexter as the African British Patriot ad-libbing.

That was the first time that character made me LOL -

'Brain May should have played for 5 hour...10 hour...and then a policeman should have kicked him and said - get up, you are British!'

You could see Rhys trying not to corpse throughout. I really liked the historian jealous of 1066 and the toupee wearing Welshman and though I find the Plasterer character tedious, his immigrant / grey squirrel analogy joke was good.

The Austrailian just seemed pointless and unfunny.

I quite liked the Australian. I thought the way he bullied Bellamy was quite funny. And I liked the Midlands radio presenter who felt he had no voice in modern Britain. He reminded me of Cheesehoven.

Quote: chipolata @ February 5 2010, 12:55 PM GMT

I quite liked the Australian. I thought the way he bullied Bellamy was quite funny.

That's taken straight from Down The Line. He actually reduces Bellamy to tears on the radio.

it was soooooooo funny actually laughing out loud. Genius. Spot on. Really enjoyed it, roll on the next episode! Laughing out loud

Let's be clear about this, last week's episode of Bellamy's People was superb.

The Coventry based local dj was the kind of spot-on character observation that the Fast Show was, perhaps incorrectly, reknowned for. The whole business of the character not having a voice, of somehow being muted by an anonymous politically correct body, was regettably recognisable.

And Felix Dexter's inspired rant about Brian May was hilarious, as evidenced by
Rhys Thomas totally losing his composure.

If you gave up on this show after ep 1 or 2, it's time to get back into it.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ February 8 2010, 3:13 PM GMT

Chhhhip! Hello lover, what's been happening?

Nothing. I've just been biding my time, waiting for you to return. And just so this post doesn't get whited out, is it Rhys Thomas corpsing? Or Bellamy the character corpsing because he's not that professional?

I thought it was Rhys.

So did I, I was just making sure my post didn't get deleted!

Hehe!

I got the impression that Rhys couldn't help laughing but they kept it in as Bellamy laughing because it was funny. Same with the welsh guy with the wig.

Quote: chipolata @ February 8 2010, 3:28 PM GMT

...is it Rhys Thomas corpsing? Or Bellamy the character corpsing because he's not that professional?

Definitely Rhys Thomas corpsing. I don't think he's a good enough actor to laugh that convincingly.

Once Felix Dexter hit his stride he did some of the funniest stuff on Down the Line. His stonehead rasta on Bellamay's People talking batshit was very funny. Matthew Rhys was always at his best when his mask started to slip and we hear about his tragic private life or he's getting out of his depth. His look of desperation with the historian looks like he's going do that again.

Aside from the two crazy sisters, Laura Solon hasn't made much of an impact so far. She seems overshadowed by the old guard.