The Persuasionists Page 3

Quote: Matthew Stott @ January 14 2010, 11:54 AM GMT

Well, there is that long running radio show! I really enjoyed his pilot, 'Mebox', I'd liked to have seen more of that.

Mee too. But we didn't. Then there was that Channel 4 comedy where he managed a band. I liked the pilot, and they commissioned a series, but then stuck it out as two big specials that didn't really work.

This was one of the biggest piles of shit I've seen for a long time, believe me I know shit, I've watched all the recent comedy offerings from the BBC.

Has anyone got a cat I can kick?

I think the criticism levelled at The Persuaders is quite unfair and uncalled for. Certainly, there were one or two weak jokes, but overall I liked the characters and the structure. The humour quotient was pleasingly high for a BBC2 show. I laughed like a drain at the big pencil: "it makes me look like a man with a big penis", hilarious. Overall, 7/10. Hopefully this will prove to be Iain Lee's springboard to Gervaisesque stardomhood.

Quote: Sebastian Melmoth @ January 14 2010, 1:05 PM GMT

Hopefully this will prove to be Iain Lee's springboard to Gervaisesque stardomhood.

Well, I wouldn't go quite that far! (Are you his mum?)

But I thought it was fine.

I think the criticism levelled at The Persuaders is quite unfair and uncalled for. Certainly, there were one or two weak jokes, but overall I liked the characters and the structure. The humour quotient was pleasingly high for a BBC2 show. I laughed like a drain at the big pencil: "it makes me look like a man with a big penis", hilarious. Overall, 7/10. Hopefully this will prove to be Iain Lee's springboard to Gervaisesque stardomhood.

Yep, and Tony Curtis was great.

Me thinks I smell the subtle whiff of sarcasm?

Quote: Crusty427 @ January 14 2010, 1:45 PM GMT

Me thinks I smell the subtle whiff of sarcasm?

Not at all. This programme, while not perfect, could, if given sensitive handling and care and allowed to develop and flourish organically, become as dearly loved an ensemble comedy as Two Pints of Lager & a Packet of Crisps, Hardware and Babes In The Wood. A shining glitterball (or should that be 'titterball'?) in the BBC's discotheque of comedy.

Quote: chipolata @ January 14 2010, 11:58 AM GMT

Mee too. But we didn't. Then there was that Channel 4 comedy where he managed a band. I liked the pilot, and they commissioned a series, but then stuck it out as two big specials that didn't really work.

The Last Chancers. Yeah the pilot was great shame about the rest.

I'll have a pint of whatever Sebastian's on :) Seriously, I read all the previews and to a man (and woman) they were scathing but I thought I;d be the judge and oh boy were they right. It was dreadful,pure and simple. 'Typefont' my arse. That's like Janine's 'Dobly' in, Spinal Tap.

This thread has a higher than average rate of contributions from "young bloods".

I think the criticism levelled at The Persuaders is quite unfair and uncalled for.

Ah, now I get the Tony Curtis joke.

I don't think the criticism levelled at the Persuasionists is unfair, in fact, I think it's pretty justified especially considering the brilliance of the cast.

An advertising company? What is this? 1986? This is recession struck Britain, they might as well have set this in a Lamborghini dealership. And just because characters bound onto the screen yelling 'Look at me, I am wacky', doesn't actually mean they are.

But if a big pencil makes you laugh, then there is no way I can engage you in conversations about sub-text, characterisation, plotting, pacing or script editing.

Maybe if there was one character in the show who wasn't a charicature of a pastiche of a parody, I might have shown an interest but all we got was a writers impressions of what an advertising company might be like and the madcap antics of it's ker-razy employees.

Just like Big Top, this a programme that would have been more at home on CBBC.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ January 14 2010, 3:08 PM GMT

An advertising company? What is this? 1986?

Hah! Too true.

It was so poor, I reckon I can mention the awful canned laughter without being lectured.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ January 14 2010, 3:08 PM GMT

all we got was a writers impressions of what an advertising company might be like

To be fair, the writer did actually work in one. I'm not saying this shows just what that would be like in reality, but he did work in one. Apparently he came up with that Pot Noodle slogan, 'The Slag Of All Snacks', or whatever it was.

Has there been a sitcom set in advertising? Or a film?