The Persuasionists Page 10

I watched and didn't think it was great, which was a shame. I thought the pilot (The Scum Also Rises) was a lot better than this particular episode. Wasn't that single camera rather than studio-based also? I'll keep watching but only cos stuff has to be *really* bad for me to stop...

Iain Lee was alright, I thought, to be fair to the guy. I can't understand this pedestal that a lot of people have Adam Buxton on though. Why can he do no wrong? Why is he less at fault than Daisy Haggard (who's brilliant in ManStrokeWoman and Fabulous) or Simon Farnaby (generally brilliant in stuff)? I like the fella and he is funny; he's just not this comedy God that people make him out to be.

Aaron -- what's this 'filming of two series side-by-side' that you mentioned earlier on? Can you elaborate? Sounds interesting.

Dan

One of the many, many reasons why Count Buckules rawks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAX6yi60OPY

Quote: Jinky @ January 15 2010, 12:13 PM GMT

'The Persuasionists' is pretty much what you would expect from somebody whose career is in advertising. If your day job involves pointlessly ripping off old movies and YouTube clips then it's hardly a surprise when you produce unfunny derivative drivel as your first sitcom.

Pointless?
I'll have you know I made a bloody fortune.
(But that's probably because I was one of the good ones Whistling nnocently )

The show was terible though - and proof that write what you know isn't always the thing to do.

Everyone was overacting madly - the sure sign of a shit-house script.

Poor sods.

Quote: Tim Walker @ January 15 2010, 10:43 PM GMT

Perhaps the BBC et al should think about recruiting directors/producers from the theatre to make their audience sitcoms?

They used to.
When I tried to get into the Beeb as a production assistant (c1980) - without Oxbridge qualifications - I was told to go away and get some theatre experience.
It's what you did if you hadn't been in Footlights or something.
Then you spent a year literally trailing a assistant producer before you got to even make a cup of tea.

In my experience, at the BBC and outside, an editor will do a cut, which will then be refined with the director. That cut will be seen and further refined with the producer, in consultation with the editor and director. That cut will then be seen by the writer and the exec, who may or may not have notes to discuss in the suite with the editor, director and producer. The final cut is always the product of the major creative voices involved in a show.

Quote: swerytd @ January 18 2010, 1:23 PM GMT

Aaron -- what's this 'filming of two series side-by-side' that you mentioned earlier on? Can you elaborate? Sounds interesting.

Sorry, you'll have to remind me what I did say?

Quote: Aaron @ December 5 2009, 12:35 AM GMT

Yes, it was. I think they ended up recording two versions of the series. A right mess.

I think Dan is referring to this

Quote: roscoff @ January 18 2010, 7:23 AM GMT

It's a fact that if we were to trawl critique just on this website we'd find better stuff than we've seen on the Beeb for the last few years.

I don't read every sitcom script posted to Critique, but I've never read anything even close to as good as The Persuasionists on there.

Quote: Badge @ January 18 2010, 7:34 PM GMT

I think Dan is referring to this

Ah. Well, I remember a lot of different audience tickets being available, and a lot of other production talk about the show. There was probably something else I'm forgetting offhand.

Yes, it was. Cheers Badge!

Aaron! You disappoint me... <shaking head smiley>

Dan

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ January 18 2010, 7:38 PM GMT

I don't read every sitcom script posted to Critique, but I've never read anything even close to as good as The Persuasionists on there.

I would wholeheartedly disagree. (Starts rummaging)

Quote: Griff @ January 18 2010, 1:18 PM GMT

... That Mitchell And Webb Look, Pulling, The Armstrong And Miller Show, Moving Wallpaper, Peep Show, The Inbetweeners, No Heroics, Extras, The Office...

(There are also some stinkers on TV of course.)

ah...hem :$ I was actually referring to BBC sitcoms but that's what you get for posting at stupid hours of the morning. Extras and The Office, particularly Extras I will go along with. I don't agree with Miranda but I am in the minority. Although I still think that show could be a lot better than it is. But I can't see the Beeb ringing me up for a consultation quite yet Whistling nnocently.

Call me old fashioned but this show fails on so many levels. Truly awful.