The Persuasionists Page 4

Quote: Matthew Stott @ January 14 2010, 3:25 PM GMT

Apparently he came up with that Pot Noodle slogan, 'The Slag Of All Snacks', or whatever it was.

Worked well then.

Quote: Leevil @ January 14 2010, 3:26 PM GMT

Worked well then.

Well, I kind of remember it, and I don't even eat Pot Noodles.

Quote: chipolata @ January 14 2010, 3:26 PM GMT

Has there been a sitcom set in advertising? Or a film?

How to Get Ahead In Advertising, by the Withnail And I bloke.
That Dudley Moore film as well, where he starts telling the truth in ads and gets sent to a mental institution.

And now I come to think about it, Samantha's husband in Bewitched was an advertising bod, I think. Darren.

Coming Soon: A period drama written by that bloke who did the Tampax advert a few years ago.

"Absorbing" - The Sun

Lots.

Quote: Marc P @ January 14 2010, 3:34 PM GMT

Lots.

Put your money where your mouth is, Marc. Name names.

Reading some of the less favourable comments so far, I wonder whether this is more a case of people not really understanding, or "getting" it. Indeed, in many ways The Persuasionits appears to be breaking some new ground in terms of modern British comedy - the man with the pencil has limitless possibilities and could quite conceivably become the star of the show, which would make him the first foreigner to headline a British sitcom (Gorden Kaye doesn't count) - people criticised the Goon Show and the Young Ones when they first aired. Give it time, have an open mind, and enjoy.

>_<

Just a nerdy response, did anyone notice the guy out of the pot-noodle advert played the company owner, the Australian bloke?

Quote: Matthew Stott @ January 14 2010, 9:29 AM GMT

I have to say I did find the Keaton character very appealing, whenever Simon Farnaby was on screen things really kicked up a few notches. I'll be watching again next week.

No-one ever said about Porridge/Father Ted/Dad's Army "Things really kicked up a few notches when Fletcher/Mrs Doyle/Corporal Jones was on screen". If it only works when a certain actor comes on it doesn't work.

I've seen Simon Farnaby do great things in the Boosh, Spoons and Comedy Lab but a great turn by an actor can't make a whole show work.

I'm beginning to wonder if you have some kind of problem with scripts Matt. Seriously. You often don't seem bothered by the absence of good writing or lack of imagination in shows.

A very good one. Absolute Power with John Bird and Stephen Fry. The conté crayon to The Persuasionists cockney cheese.

Quote: JohnnyD @ January 14 2010, 3:25 PM GMT

It was so poor, I reckon I can mention the awful canned laughter without being lectured.

I doubt that.

The husband/father in So Haunt Me was a freelance ad man. The film Crazy People. Richard O'Sullivan's Me & My Girl.

What did the chap do in Perfect World?

Quote: Godot Taxis @ January 14 2010, 3:54 PM GMT

I'm beginning to wonder if you have some kind of problem with scripts Matt. Seriously. You often don't seem bothered by the absence of good writing or lack of imagination in shows.

Or perhaps he doesn't question something if it's funny. Which he seems to have found it to be.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ January 14 2010, 3:54 PM GMT

A very good one. Absolute Power with John Bird and Stephen Fry.

Prentiss McCabe was a PR firm rather than an ad agency.

Quote: chipolata @ January 14 2010, 4:06 PM GMT

What did the chap do in Perfect World?

Marketing of deodorant in a cosmetics company, IIRC. So a similar kind of thing, but I think his role was a bit more involved with statistics than creative.

Quote: sheep2 @ January 14 2010, 11:37 AM GMT

Did anyone laugh out loud during this show?

Yes.

Quote: Sebastian Melmoth @ January 14 2010, 3:38 PM GMT

The Persuasionits appears to be breaking some new ground in terms of modern British comedy - the man with the pencil has limitless possibilities and could quite conceivably become the star of the show, which would make him the first foreigner to headline a British sitcom

Please explain this 'new ground' that The Persuasionists is breaking? Tired jokes and laboured set ups involing women, Cockneys and foreigners isn't really that modern in my book - maybe I don't 'get it'?

Yes, a man with a pencil has limitless possibilities - however most of them aren't funny.

As for 'foreign' characters being the star of a show - what about My Hero? Not only was the guy Irish, he was from outer space, so that makes him double foreign in my books.

Quote: Aaron @ January 14 2010, 4:12 PM GMT

Or perhaps he doesn't question something if it's funny. Which he seems to have found it to be.

*sigh* He's a writer Aaron. You're not. You watch comedy purely for entertainment. A writer can't switch off entirely - even if he wants to. The principle that a writer is watching with both detachment and expert knowledge is ensconced in the 'writer's writer conceit'.

Quote: Aaron @ January 14 2010, 4:12 PM GMT

Prentiss McCabe was a PR firm rather than an ad agency.

Yeah, you're right. But the dialectic is essentially the same.