Outnumbered - Series 2 Page 15

Weren't those kids so f**king annoying. I just wanted to clout little lord fauntleroy around the head!

I've never seen the show before the Christmas special, but I liked the little girl immensely although I thought the rest of it was a bit boring. But I'm willing to watch again. I just don't like shows that are offshoots of other shows. Outnumbered is just a slightly more upper class version of The Royle Family imo - but with less sophisticated writing.

Ooh, no. I don't think it's anything like the Royle Family! Certainly not an offshoot. I've never heard anyone make that comparison before actually.

It is ace though, you should definitely watch the series'. The little girl is the best character, but they're all brilliant.

Quote: KeyLimePaige @ January 4 2010, 12:13 AM GMT

I've never seen the show before the Christmas special, but I liked the little girl immensely although I thought the rest of it was a bit boring. But I'm willing to watch again. I just don't like shows that are offshoots of other shows. Outnumbered is just a slightly more upper class version of The Royle Family imo - but with less sophisticated writing.

:O SACRILEGE! BURN THE WITCH!

I think Outnumbered is far more natural. Less 'written', more real. Which it would be hard not to be, considering that it's partially improvised.

I guess I meant a similar idea rather than a spinoff. but I'm also curious how much of the kids' dialogue is improvised. I read somewhere that some of it is to give them more natural lines.

Quote: Aaron @ January 4 2010, 12:21 AM GMT

:O SACRILEGE! BURN THE WITCH!

"I'm not a witch! I'm not a witch!...they dressed me like this!"

I don't think it's really even that similar an idea. It's not a big silly audience sitcom, and it centres on a family. That's about it, surely?

Re the kids' dialogue, I gather that they're given some general guidance on a few key lines, and where necessary/possible a kind of outline, as it were, of what the scene should have, but not in any particular detail or strictly scripted. You can often see when Hugh Dennis is struggling not to burst out laughing at the kids' responses (normally Karen).

Quote: EllieJP @ January 1 2010, 11:43 PM GMT

It will lose it's "spark" once the kids become too aware of what they're saying.

They're gonna have to do a Cosby Show when the little ones get older, ship them off to 'college' and bring in some younger kids.

Unless they can hold of those growth restriction drugs like they used on Arnold in Different Strokes. ;)

Christmas special was a huge disappointment - hope the new series gets back on track as these kids are not gonna be cute for too much longer.

Disappointment in itself, or just compared to the series proper? Probably didn't have the highest laugh-rate, in comparison, but on its own I don't think I can fault it as an episode.

Our first exposure to Outnumbered was the Christmas special and we enjoyed it immensely. Most laughs of "the special season" (and we tried to watch most of the high profile shows, esp on Beeb). Looking forward to catching up with earlier episodes, if available on iPlayer...

You'll have to head over to our shop and grab the DVDs for that. You will not be disappointed!

Quote: Aaron @ January 5 2010, 12:59 AM GMT

Disappointment in itself, or just compared to the series proper? Probably didn't have the highest laugh-rate, in comparison, but on its own I don't think I can fault it as an episode.

I didn't see this reply, I think it was meant for me?

I guess it wasn't as funny as other episodes - excepting Karen pushing the toilet door open and refusing to accept that her Christmas present was really meant for her! I'm starting to feel that the two younger kids now understand the formula and the innocent dialogue is starting to be less improvised and a little more suggested.

I think it is in someways similar to The Royle Family but the main difference is that Outnumbered is about struggling to look after kids and so it gives it its own identity. However, I would say both are equally realistic.

Outnumbered is improvised but The Royle Family was written word perfect so it would sound naturalistic. One slight disappointment about the Christmas special was that the kids didn't stutter as much as they normally do, I had never seen many programmes where people stutter intentionally (unless the character had a stutter) and I think the show suffered (very slightly) as a result of the kids becoming more dynamic actors.

Quote: Alan C @ January 6 2010, 11:50 PM GMT

I didn't see this reply, I think it was meant for me?

I guess it wasn't as funny as other episodes - excepting Karen pushing the toilet door open and refusing to accept that her Christmas present was really meant for her! I'm starting to feel that the two younger kids now understand the formula and the innocent dialogue is starting to be less improvised and a little more suggested.

Yeah, I'd agree that it's at least nearing that point. Which once again raises my anger that they were not allowed to record two series at once. I think there's still a lot of that freshness in it, but there's certainly an aspect of the dynamic that's beginning to be lost.

(I assume you meant two older rather than two younger kids?)

Quote: Aaron @ January 7 2010, 12:34 AM GMT

Yeah, I'd agree that it's at least nearing that point. Which once again raises my anger that they were not allowed to record two series at once. I think there's still a lot of that freshness in it, but there's certainly an aspect of the dynamic that's beginning to be lost.

(I assume you meant two older rather than two younger kids?)

I assume he meant the two younger ones. Mr Drew-Honey has always been acting (he's very good, though).