Underrated, undervalued or forgotten gems Page 14

Yes, quite vaguely, but I sat through at least half of it. Very well made I thought, but it just didn't catch fire at all and got v low audience if I remember right. I'm sure it didn't get a second series. I thought the storylines were a bit obvious but the quality of actors in it made up for it. But it seemed to come and go just like that.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ December 2 2009, 1:13 AM GMT

Does anyone remember Give us a Break?
Robert Lindsay & Paul McGann.
Not strictly comedy, more comedy dramaish.

Remember it being on, but never watched it as I was quite young at the time. Think it was the BBC trying to do a Minder-type drama but based around snooker. Robert Lindsay played the manager of a young snooker talent, who was played by Paul McGann.

No Place Like Home is very underrated in my opinion.

Quote: MIKIE @ November 30 2009, 9:30 PM GMT

Surgical Spirit - I had such a crush on Nichola McAuliffe as a wee lad <3 !

That is seriously f**ked up! I remember Prunella Scales saying how worrying it was that she got so much fan mail from young men because of Sybil. British manhood - go figure.

but why no mention of Watching? Love that show and would to see it again.

Now Emma Wray I did have a crush on. Whatever happened to Paul Bown - a great comic actor?

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ December 2 2009, 8:55 AM GMT

Yes, quite vaguely, but I sat through at least half of it. Very well made I thought, but it just didn't catch fire at all and got v low audience if I remember right. I'm sure it didn't get a second series.

Paul McGann wouldn't do it - wanted to concentrate on his singing career with his brothers. Errr

Quote: Aaron @ December 1 2009, 11:52 PM GMT

Is It Legal? is in desperate need of a DVD release.

Agreed. Though didn't it move from ITV to Channel 4 for a series (or the other way around?)

EDIT: Ah, yes! https://www.comedy.co.uk/sitcoms/is_it_legal.shtml

Dan

Quote: peter gazzard @ December 2 2009, 9:37 AM GMT

No Place Like Home is very underrated in my opinion.

You should probably consider it higher then. ;)

Quote: swerytd @ December 2 2009, 12:03 PM GMT

Agreed. Though didn't it move from ITV to Channel 4 for a series (or the other way around?)

EDIT: Ah, yes! https://www.comedy.co.uk/sitcoms/is_it_legal.shtml

Dan

Indeed. And, sadly, it is a noticeably weaker series.

I've just purchased the DVD of Nightingales

I think one of the most under-rated comedy series of the last 10 years has to be Arrested Development - Absolutely loved it!

Have to include Health & Efficiency now. Only seen a few minutes of it but I really like it. Though I had totally forgot it ever existed.

Quote: Jeff Powell @ December 3 2009, 2:40 PM GMT

I think one of the most under-rated comedy series of the last 10 years has to be Arrested Development - Absolutely loved it!

What does it take to be underrated or forgotten?
I notice The Fast Show doesn't have a review here, neither Harry Enfield Shows
nor the guru Paul Merton. They were not strict sitcoms with a plot, rather sketches but it was the best of comedy of their decade 90s.
luis

The fast show isn't underated or forgotten, neither is Harry Enfield.

It's more things that were good, but nobody would know what it was if you mentioned it to them. For instance Chalk or Next Of Kin. Both decent, got good ratings but hardly anybody remembers them now.

Plus, the likes of The Fast Show etc have been treated to a DVD release.

Quote: David Carmon @ December 3 2009, 4:34 PM GMT

Have to include Health & Efficiency now. Only seen a few minutes of it but I really like it. Though I had totally forgot it ever existed.

That's the show that got shelved because it took the mick out of the NHS if I remember correctly. Spin off from 2point4 Children.

Really? so it was too political for the BBC

It had 2 series, so quite unlikely that it was "shelved because it took the mick out of the NHS".

Well I'm pretty surethat's the reason it was axed