Miranda - Series 1 Page 31

What a great episode, the whole premise was really simple but it was very well executed. Miranda was on top form and I think I nearly laugh throughout the entire episodes. Favourite bits were when she did the whole Beach towel talk and Miranda getting exicited about every little thing in her hotel room.

Yeah I liked her getting wildly excited just by being in a hotel room two streets away - it sounds sad, but hands up those who haven't been excited by such exotic things as a tea maker and a mini bar at some time.

Another week and oh what was that...another classic! 'In a minte you will all be up and dancing'. Brilliant scene.

It doesn't say much for the BBC tho does it - she said she'd been trying three years to get that show on TV! And what hope does that give unknown sitcom writers?!!! :( Flippin BBC make me spew sometimes - are they there to entertain us or just there to keep their inflated image intact and keep the working conditions of hundreds of executives nice and comfy? If they weren't sure about 'Miranda' then why not use the BBC 3 channel for it like they do with others?? Either the BBC are over-cautious buffoons or Miranda Hart was fibbing somewhat when she said it was ready 3 yrs ago. I go for the former, the BBC are still amateurish at the commissioning level.

Have to iPlayer this!

4 episodes in. How many are left? Please don't say just 2!!!!!!

Pissed myself again.

My favourite TV show, never mind favourite sitcom.

Quote: roscoff @ November 30 2009, 10:28 AM GMT

And while I'm at it I really hate the ending to Miranda where they all wave at the camera. It's as if they're saying 'You know, it's not real, it's just a sit-com'. It's evil and the producer should be shot for allowing it. Not an over-reaction I don't think :)

It was suggested on Points of View that they were using it as a smart way of avoiding the usual "credits squeeze" at the end of programmes nowadays. It's also a throwback as well, but I wonder if there might be something in this, given Mr Vine on POV might know Mr Vine on Not Going Out who might know Mranada. You get the idea.

Yes, that means that this is the official answer, and I don't doubt the BBC are into such energy/cost saving measures at the mo - The only question I have with the sense of that theory is it seems to cut the show down too much - it is not a long sitcom, even after the credit roll, it was still 8-57, so why do the BBC need a whole 2 minute gap between shows? You wouldn't have got this with Fawlty.

Yes, but 'Fawlty' was made in the good old days when there weren't set limits to sitcom running times. One episode of Fawlty ran close to 40 minutes IIRC. This was also in the glory days when programmes did not started on a "rounded number". They were scheduled like train times, for example starting at 9.04pm or 10.38pm. In some ways, I miss those days. :(

Yes, I definitely miss those days. You are perfectly right about the odd scheduling in the 70s, I even remember the Radio Times listings as 8-02, etc. I will take a slight issue with you about the set limits to running times for sitcoms tho because Cleese said in an interview that he had the glare of BBC execs on him when he continually over ran the 30 min slot, and I can't remember too many other sitcoms that took such liberties as FT did on that. That was naturally a 40 minute show because there was so much going on in every episode - I always assumed the BBC made allowances for FT because it was just so damn good. Alas, apart from football and snooker matches, the Beeb have got far more rigid about such matters and all sitcoms look a little short on time to me because these young producers are so panicky about over running. So I think there is far too much of a heavy hand now on the BBC, not heavy hand, what's that phrase 'visible hand' or something. The BBC programming is run by robots and frightened young pups now.

It's certainly no fun trying to squeeze a pilot script down to fit the 23m 30s running time for a commercial slot. :(

No, I bet it isn't, but what I do for drafting my scripts for the commercial stations (in vain hope) is use Rising Damp, which I have the boxset of, as a template for timing. That is such a good show for learning structure and timing from, imo, it proves that if you just have flowing narrative and dialogue then you can jam in several busy scenes and then, whoomph, the thing is finished before you know it. There is hardly any fat on that show, although it could be patchy in quality of humour sometimes, there is a purpose to every single scene - it proves you only need 23 mins if you have a great narrative/storyline. Just cut out the fat.

And now back to Miranda.

Great episode! Apparently this was her favourite of the series - it was mine too (so far).

Yes I thought I'd watch it again because it was so funny this one. And I've come to the conclusion that she is a gifted physical actor, she has an amazing array of silly dances and movements. Could she be the new female Lee Evans?