Stand up Comedy. Page 22

Quote: Tim Walker @ October 14 2009, 11:47 AM BST

Surely 5 minute spots are primarily for getting used to being up there in front of an audience? That's the way I always looked at them. You will not find your "comedic voice" when you are first starting out (most likely), 5 minute spots are just a way of taking your first baby steps and becoming somewhat confident of actually being in front of a crowd who are expecting you to make them laugh. That's why it's best to work on 5 minutes of gag-heavy material that gets laughs and gives you confidence.

In a couple of years you won't be doing the same kind of routine/delivery because you will have done the basics and moved on. The first year of stand-up is like taking your driving test, learning the fundamentals to get by. Like driving tests, you really start learning to drive properly after you've passed the exam.

Eddie Izzard and many comedians with "distinct comedy voices" did not start off doing stand-up with those individual styles, they were developed after mastering the basics of talking and telling jokes. :)

Nothing there I'd disagree with. All I was saying is that if you're dead set on performing a longer piece you might as well get it out of your system. Just be forewarned of the dangers.

Quote: David Bussell @ October 14 2009, 1:26 PM BST

Nothing there I'd disagree with. All I was saying is that if you're dead set on performing a longer piece you might as well get it out of your system. Just be forewarned of the dangers.

I get what you mean, 5-10 min sets are too short for anacdotal stuff, but they are useful for learning the basics and building confidence. But moving to a longer set I expect you need to almost take the plunge again, because it won't be the same pace as the shorter sets. But you can take what you've learned on to that and expand and redevelop the shorter punchier stuff into a more formed fluid 20+mins.

This is the thing that concerns me, I originally developed a lot of anacdotal material, but cut it down substantially for the short open mic stuff. Now I'm stuck in this mind set of writing one liners and the classic pull back reveal's. Maintaining a continuity is becoming increasingly difficult.

Quote: Kaboosh @ October 14 2009, 4:07 PM BST

I get what you mean, 5-10 min sets are too short for anacdotal stuff, but they are useful for learning the basics and building confidence. But moving to a longer set I expect you need to almost take the plunge again, because it won't be the same pace as the shorter sets. But you can take what you've learned on to that and expand and redevelop the shorter punchier stuff into a more formed fluid 20+mins.

This is the thing that concerns me, I originally developed a lot of anacdotal material, but cut it down substantially for the short open mic stuff. Now I'm stuck in this mind set of writing one liners and the classic pull back reveal's. Maintaining a continuity is becoming increasingly difficult.

You can intersperse and use call-backs. I had a couple of running stories through my 5 minute set, which I broke down into gags and one-liners, but it was basically an anecdote.

Next year's Hackney Empire New Act Of The Year competition is to go ahead, despite the closure of the historic East London venue.
Entries are now being sought for the 2010 contest, with successful applicants being invited to five-minute auditions in the first instance.
To apply, send a description of your act, plus full contact details – including phone number and address – to naty@hackneyempire.co.uk

Go for it.

Cheers tfl, I don't know where you keep finding this stuff, but it's appreciated.

Yeah nice one TFL.
If anyones ever doing any gigs you can always post them here.
I wouldn't mind seeing a few of the BCGers in action sometime.

prove your funny first. then you'll get booked. then you can f**k around.

What about STDs?

Quote: Stan Doubt @ October 16 2009, 9:21 AM BST

What about STDs?

A rich seam of comedy...

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/15349

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ October 15 2009, 8:46 PM BST

Yeah nice one TFL.
If anyones ever doing any gigs you can always post them here.
I wouldn't mind seeing a few of the BCGers in action sometime.

Me here maybe doing all new material, haven't decided.

Does anybody know how a stand up comics career, if successful, pans out?

So you do 5-10 minute open mic gigs, for free, and I have heard people say that you have to make your own bookings.

So, if you're good- what happens then...and what is the transition period from making bookings yourself to being booked and possibly having a career?

:)

People may know more, but from what I've seen, you build up your CV doing competitive comedy such as the gong shows, beat the frog etc... and then people will book you for opening 10s (for money). If they like you, you go back for a 20 min slot and more money, eventually building up to headline and compere. You then get to perform at the biggest clubs on the circuit. Also by then you should have an agent, which means TV and Radio work, leading to the dizzy heights of your own shows at theatres and festivals. All assuming you have the comedy and drive to back it all up.

Hey Friday, thanks for the link.

One thing I've noticed is that a lot of stand-ups start with a little intro bit about themselves. They begin by mentioning their ethnicity, accent, sexual orientation, physical appearance and then move into their 'proper' material,

I haven't been doing that because I've been thinking 'I only have 5 minutes, no time for chit-chat.'

When you go to see a lot of stand-up, it sometimes feels like they waste a lot of time saying, 'hey, how are you..' etc. But now I'm wondering it's better to spend a minute taking about who you are, to get the audience to understand what you're all about?

What do you think?

I think that stuff gives you a little bit of personality - even if it's short it can tell them a bit about who you are etc. And if you can get a nice quick laugh from it all the better. Also it depends on how interesting different what you have to say is (in my opinion). I have dreadlocks ... but so do loads of people so... I'm not sure I could really say anything original about that. But ... I do think it's sort of amusing that my name means "name" ... which is why I open with that. But ... as I will go on to describe ... What do I know.

Just got back from my FHM gig.

crashed.and.burned.

Was booed halfway through, mocked and laughed at and then the MC joked that I had gone home and killed myself. There was even a running joke with the audience at how bad I was "bring him back on" etc. I really don't know what to make of it. My 2nd gig got a lukewarm reception but ... this was openly hostile. Like every bully who'd ever made me feel like an awkward nerd at school all in one room. Hearing me talk about Rubicon juice. (I knew that gag would bomb but by that stage was telling gags out of spite - almost told a joke in Chinese).
I know I could probably go to a room full of "students" and get a decent reaction from my set but ... a real comedian (a performer that is) has the skill to work rooms, react to crowds, deal with hostility etc. And I'm just not there. Not even sure I want to be at this point. Obviously I'm tired and emotional, but I'm not sure I crave the approval of a room full of people who laughed at gay jokes (ones predicated on the notion of homosexuality alone being funny). Will ponder.

It's a very awkward feeling to be honest. Last week I was in the BBC with a producer making them laugh consistently and hearing them gone on about my "talent" etc. I'm on Twitter a reasonable amount and am able to come up stuff that makes proper writers laugh from time to time. But tonight was just on the receiving end of pure contempt. Then again ... the headliner (who I'd seen off the telly!) took me to one side after and told me to hold with mic with more confidence, practice and that I had really, really good material. Might get a guitar and just mumble one liners over some riffs like Steve Wright. Who knows.

My "rival" pissed all over me from a great height. She was really great, very confident, great mic control, poise etc. And for those reasons I'm out.

*some or all of this might be babble.

Don't worry about it TFL.
Jongleurs is tough for a beginner, but rest assured you'll never have a tougher gig, and it's the best learning experience.

The problem with these FHM gigs is that they don't know that your a newbie, you're introduced as if you are a paid comic.

You did it, got through it and you held your head up high.
And I for one salute for that!

You're braver than me in any case.

PS
I imagine that your rival had a bit more experience.
And anyone you care to mention, be it Eddie Izzard or Frank Skinner has had an equally tough night at some stage especially when they are starting out.
It's those sort of gigs that made them what they are today.