Stand up Comedy. Page 21

I know a crap comedian gets lots of booze.

Quote: Leevil @ October 8 2009, 5:33 PM BST

Laughing out loud

Boom Boom.

Quote: Leevil @ October 8 2009, 5:33 PM BST

crap ones usually do

Played a bill with Finn from Hollyoaks last night. Went really well, mainly due to a drunk girl in the front row who didn't stop laughing at my opener the whole 5 minutes.

Quote: David Bussell @ October 11 2009, 10:40 AM BST

Played a bill with Finn from Hollyoaks last night. Went really well, mainly due to a drunk girl in the front row who didn't stop laughing at my opener the whole 5 minutes.

That's a euphamism isn't it?

Nice one David.

I stopped watching Hollyoaks when Finn left so I'm glad to hear he's still around.

Quote: Mike T @ October 8 2009, 5:27 PM BST

how much does a "decent" comedian earn?

I believe a good circuit comedian, with a fair few years behind them and some good business skills, doing lots of gigs a week can earn up to circa £100k!

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ October 11 2009, 11:20 AM BST

I believe a good circuit comedian, with a fair few years behind them and some good business skills, doing lots of gigs a week can earn up to circa £100k!

:O

thanks lol

Quote: Mike T @ October 11 2009, 4:13 PM BST

:O

thanks lol

Well that's what one told me.

Quote: AngieBaby @ October 11 2009, 11:18 AM BST

Nice one David.

I stopped watching Hollyoaks when Finn left so I'm glad to hear he's still around.

Wasn't he the one who then went on to be in Holby, or Casualty, for ages?

Played a bill with Finn from Hollyoaks last night.

I didn't realise he was a stand up.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ October 11 2009, 4:56 PM BST

Wasn't he the one who then went on to be in Holby, or Casualty, for ages?

I didn't realise he was a stand up.

Yeah, he mentioned Casualty in his act. He's just starting out in stand up.

Quote: dannyjb1 @ October 11 2009, 10:45 AM BST

That's a euphamism isn't it?

:)

It seems from alot of you guys that for 5 min open mic type slots its punchy, one liner, play on word type gags. I was looking at doing more of a narrative, am worried it only really works with comedians people know (hard to explain... like I doubt eddie izzards covered in bees would go down well as a nobody doing an open mic.

what you think?

Quote: Cliff @ October 14 2009, 1:04 AM BST

It seems from alot of you guys that for 5 min open mic type slots its punchy, one liner, play on word type gags. I was looking at doing more of a narrative, am worried it only really works with comedians people know (hard to explain... like I doubt eddie izzards covered in bees would go down well as a nobody doing an open mic.

what you think?

I've watched open mic acts perform 5 min anecdotes that have gone down well. The trouble is, when they go badly it's incredibly painful for the performer knowing they have to struggle through a great long story that no one has any interest in. So make sure if you're going to go that route (and I'd recommend it if you can pull it off because too few are doing it) you have plenty of gags peppered throughout a compelling story.

Quote: David Bussell @ October 14 2009, 11:32 AM BST

I've watched open mic acts perform 5 min anecdotes that have gone down well. The trouble is, when they go badly it's incredibly painful for the performer knowing they have to struggle through a great long story that no one has any interest in. So make sure if you're going to go that route (and I'd recommend it if you can pull it off because too few are doing it) you have plenty of gags peppered throughout a compelling story.

Surely 5 minute spots are primarily for getting used to being up there in front of an audience? That's the way I always looked at them. You will not find your "comedic voice" when you are first starting out (most likely), 5 minute spots are just a way of taking your first baby steps and becoming somewhat confident of actually being in front of a crowd who are expecting you to make them laugh. That's why it's best to work on 5 minutes of gag-heavy material that gets laughs and gives you confidence.

In a couple of years you won't be doing the same kind of routine/delivery because you will have done the basics and moved on. The first year of stand-up is like taking your driving test, learning the fundamentals to get by. Like driving tests, you really start learning to drive properly after you've passed the exam.

Eddie Izzard and many comedians with "distinct comedy voices" did not start off doing stand-up with those individual styles, they were developed after mastering the basics of talking and telling jokes. :)

Quote: Tim Walker @ October 14 2009, 11:47 AM BST

Surely 5 minute spots are primarily for getting used to being up there in front of an audience? That's the way I always looked at them. You will not find your "comedic voice" when you are first starting out (most likely), 5 minute spots are just a way of taking your first baby steps and becoming somewhat confident of actually being in front of a crowd who are expecting you to make them laugh. That's why it's best to work on 5 minutes of gag-heavy material that gets laughs and gives you confidence.

In a couple of years you won't be doing the same kind of routine/delivery because you will have done the basics and moved on. The first year of stand-up is like taking your driving test, learning the fundamentals to get by. Like driving tests, you really start learning to drive properly after you've passed the exam.

Eddie Izzard and many comedians with "distinct comedy voices" did not start off doing stand-up with those individual styles, they were developed after mastering the basics of talking and telling jokes. :)

I agree. You just want to throw out as many jokes as possible. Otherwise it seems like a very long time up there.