My Family - Series 9 Page 12

Definitely.

Definitely is or isn't? Eh?

Robert, see my edit to your post. Make sure you do that for spoilers please!

Ok, sorry. :)

Quote: Aaron @ September 26 2009, 8:02 PM BST

I can't say I'm all that surprised to read this - but I am saddened. Pity.

Ditto. :(

To be honest, and I really hate to admit this, for some reason I've found I'm not enjoying My Family at the moment as much as I have done in the past, maybe it is just down to the fact that I feel when doing the episode guide entries I'm "analysing" each episode, and not just watching it for fun, but it is really frustrating to find myself not enjoying my favourite TV programme. :/

Quote: Tom Simpson @ September 26 2009, 10:57 PM BST

but it is really frustrating to find myself not enjoying my favourite TV programme.

Hi Tom, if it's any consolation I don't find myself enjoying your favourite TV programme either.

Console

Our PBS station ran this for about a month and then pulled it because the ratings were bad. On public television. I'll pause while you contemplate the hilarity of this statment...

Quote: AndreaLynne @ September 26 2009, 11:08 PM BST

Our PBS station ran this for about a month and then pulled it because the ratings were bad. On public television. I'll pause while you contemplate the hilarity of this statment...

:D

Well the competition on PBS must be pretty fierce. Was it replaced by a 22-part documentary on the history of Union flag or something?

Quote: Tim Walker @ September 26 2009, 11:11 PM BST

:D

Well the competition on PBS must be pretty fierce. Was it replaced by a 22-part documentary on the history of Union flag or something?

No, unfortunately they replaced it with Executive Stress. Blech!!!

Quote: Tom Simpson @ September 26 2009, 10:57 PM BST

Ditto. :(

To be honest, and I really hate to admit this, for some reason I've found I'm not enjoying My Family at the moment as much as I have done in the past, maybe it is just down to the fact that I feel when doing the episode guide entries I'm "analysing" each episode, and not just watching it for fun, but it is really frustrating to find myself not enjoying my favourite TV programme. :/

I went through this with Only Fools and Horses. I loved it to the extent where I thought it was the best thing on telly however, I now find myself quite disappointed with the episodes. A case of over-watching me thinks. :(

There's something about My Family which always invites me to stick it on when nothing else is on offer. I find it quite enjoyable as a TV programmme but very rarely funny & I'm very picky when it comes to watching comedy shows. I could never bring myself to watch the likes of Two Pints Of Lager or Grownups or any other nob & spunk gag filled sit com regardless of what else was on.

I don't like nob/spunk stuff. Although, as I've admitted before, I did watch one episode of Coming of Age and laughed at it.

Sorry for digging up this old thread, but I didn't want to add irrelevant opinions to the series 10 topic. I just got around to watching Series 9 over the past two days. I deliberately bought series 1 and series 9 out of all the ones I had left to collect for obvious comparison.

I started with the episode Bully for Ben, which is the opening of series 9. Firstly, the titles I think are getting a bit old and cheap looking, things could do with a freshening up there. Now onto the actual material. I kinda liked the fact Susan wasn't in this episode, because I can imagine if she was, she would have laughed at Ben getting bullied, Ben would have asked if she was finished, she'd say yes and then burst out laughing again like she always does, so it was rather different and the series keeps the trend of having Janey, Michael and Alfie being more "togther" and having Ben and Susan on separate quests.

Despite the fact that it was a pretty good opening episode and felt quite fresh, the training montage and Ben's dream sequence were pretty funny, I think the sitcom has turned a little farcical. First thing I noticed when I went back and watched the first series was that it relied mostly on one-liners and they were funny and frequent. Very frequent actually. By the ninth series, this has become predictable, you can almost say what the characters do before them. I think also with the 2009 Christmas special, for example, it's turned into more of a physical/slap-stick comedy in parts. The banter is still there but it spends a lot of time setting up rather disappointing pay-offs.

I'm not sure I miss Abi that much? Alfie I have got used to but he does seem a bit uneccessary. Janey remains the same and Michael whom I've always found quite funny, seems to have been watered down a little? Kenzo is also a little annoying in places.

Overall, there's definitely something missing, the rest of the series definitely doesn't live up to the opening and Ben and Susan's relationship is not as fierce as it once was, Susan doesn't even bother reacting now, in fact she ends up helping Ben to strip his uncle's corpse in a funeral parlour and tends to ignore his "jibes" at her.

I know this is so unlikely and he's really old now, but instead of this new "Steve" character moving in, who is Michael's friend apparently in the 10th series? They should bring back Nick, at least sporadically, because in the one episode he did return in series 5, his antics and his very random lines "I like when you ride bareback on a horse with the wind in your hair", did stop the predicatbility and break it up a little. I think the introduction of another housemate would just be repetitive and would be much funnier, especially in terms of setting up scenarios if Nick came back for the odd episode. It's starting to become like the Big Brother house.

Anyway, series 9 is watchable, and certainly better quality in terms of picture than the first series, the first thing I noticed was the lighting haha.