Best Woody Allen Film? Page 2

I'm glad somebody mentioned Take The Money And Run, as I'd forgotten just how good it is, especially the bar of soap carved into a gun. And to think, it was his first film (it was his first film, wasn't it?).

'The Front' was on last night and I'd forgotten what an excellent film it was. Although Woody Allen was his normal bumbling self the subject matter was compelling. Not one of his funniest but certainly one of his most gripping movies.

Quote: chipolata @ September 5, 2007, 10:01 AM

I'm glad somebody mentioned Take The Money And Run, as I'd forgotten just how good it is, especially the bar of soap carved into a gun. And to think, it was his first film (it was his first film, wasn't it?).

No - What's Up Tiger Lily was out before it.

Quote: Baumski @ September 5, 2007, 2:00 PM

'The Front' was on last night and I'd forgotten what an excellent film it was.

Damn, I want to get that on DVD too. It is excellent.

bananas, sleeper, take the money and run, zelig, deconstructing harry

Crimes and Misdemeanours or Husbands and Wives or maybe Mighty Aphrodite or perhaps The Purple Rose of Cairo . . . so difficult to choose. For a guy who has made a new film each year, he sure has had some hits, but also some flops. I hated – for example – Anything Else and Please Don't Drink the Water.

I'm not a big fan of his slapstick earlier stuff. I think he does 'mature insight' much better than 'zany'.

Quote: Baumski @ September 5, 2007, 2:00 PM

'The Front' was on last night and I'd forgotten what an excellent film it was. Although Woody Allen was his normal bumbling self the subject matter was compelling. Not one of his funniest but certainly one of his most gripping movies.

That's because it isn't 'a Woody Allen' film. He starred in it, yes, but he didn't direct or write that one. :)

I prefer the early, funny ones. What's the one where he's in leg irons, chained to other convicts and they are shuffling along in unison in a woman's kitchen? That's my favourite. (The new Cybermen in Dr Who make me think of this, strangely enough!)

And when I posted something about 'The Front'...

Quote: Mick Dolan @ September 19, 2007, 5:29 AM

That's because it isn't 'a Woody Allen' film. He starred in it, yes, but he didn't direct or write that one. :)

Well, the same goes for other Woody Allen films but I don't think this thread needs to get too pickey - or does it?

Quote: Baumski @ September 20, 2007, 12:36 PM

And when I posted something about 'The Front'...

Well, the same goes for other Woody Allen films but I don't think this thread needs to get too pickey - or does it?

Er... I wasn't trying to be picky or implying you not post/mention The Front, I just was explaining why the subject matter – and indeed, the film itself – is so different from his regular stuff. :) No harm intended.

Just saw Amazon are doing some great prices on most of WA's films - some as low as £3.

Any one know why films like Hollywood Ending haven't had a release here yet the average Cassandra's Dream has?

Quote: SlagA @ March 26 2010, 2:23 PM GMT

Just saw Amazon are doing some great prices on most of WA's films - some as low as £3.

Any one know why films like Hollywood Ending haven't had a release here yet the average Cassandra's Dream has?

It's not the only WA film to be unreleased. His last one with Larry David, 'Whatever Works' hasn't had a release here, up to this point. I think Hollywood Ending just didn't get a distributor.

I bought Cassandra for 3 pounds. Haven't manaaged to get through it yet. Put off by the accents and the affected working class dialogue. Which is piss awful.

Quote: SlagA @ March 26 2010, 2:23 PM GMT

I saw Play It Again Sam in HMV today for £4. I thought that was good value, but didn't buy it. I didn't have £4.

If you took the best scene out of every WA film and stitched them altogether you'd end up with the best WA film, and it wouldn't be any more sketchy than his 'proper' films. WA the comedian/comedy actor is very good, WA the screenwriter is occasionally good, but far too wordy, repetitive and very highly over rated, WA the film maker is awful really, he never learned the craft properly. WA makes movie length sketch shows! Morning.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ March 27 2010, 8:16 AM GMT

If you took the best scene out of every WA film and stitched them altogether you'd end up with the best WA film, and it wouldn't be any more sketchy than his 'proper' films. WA the comedian/comedy actor is very good, WA the screenwriter is occasionally good, but far too wordy, repetitive and very highly over rated, WA the film maker is awful really, he never learned the craft properly. WA makes movie length sketch shows! Morning.

FIDDLE-FADDLE!

I think he's made some genuinely great films that are far more than just the sum of their parts. Manhattan and Annie Hall are classics, and two of the best films of the seventies. And films like Bullets Over Broadway, Mighty Aphrodite, Sweet and Lowdown and Crimes and Misdemeanours are all excellent films.

Yes, there are great moments in his films, but you could say that about any great comedy film, from Young Frankenstein to Whitnail and I.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ March 27 2010, 8:16 AM GMT

WA makes movie length sketch shows!

So I take it you've never watched Interiors? :O

Just got The Front today (superb film, despite WA only appearing in it) to replace my old VHS off-the-tv copy. More than I wanted to pay but now have a complete collection minus the unreleased in Region 2 ones.
:)

Sleeper.