How good are you at dealing with criticism?

How do you deal with criticism?

I performed in my new comedy show last night for the first time. We got a great audience reaction and response, laughter in the right places and then after lots of positive feedback. Of course we got a healthy dose of constructive critism too. I find its all the constructive feedback I remember, and although I think its very helpful and important, I still sometimes find it hard to swallow.

My first instinct is to change it to what people tell me... but is it also important to stick by some of your own artistic decisions even if not everyone agrees with them. You can't write to please everyone, can you?

Does accepting criticism get easier?

Thoughts?

Depends how confident you are in your own work, but you gotta get the balance of sticking with stuff and allowing stuff to come in.

No feedback is bad feedback :) just evaluate and move on

I go bright red every time. I really take things to heart, but thus try to avoid situations or actions which might lead to criticism. Maybe that makes me a weaker person, but it also means I try my best at everything I do.

Well done on the gig, Sammy!

Quote: Sammy @ July 30 2009, 7:59 PM BST

I performed in my new comedy show last night for the first time. We got a great audience reaction and response, laughter in the right places and then after lots of positive feedback. Of course we got a healthy dose of constructive critism too, everyone a critic telling you what bits could change (everyone had different ideas of course). I find its all the "constructive" feedback I remember, and although I think its very helpful and important, I still sometimes find it hard to swallow.

My first instinct is to change it to what people tell me... but is it also important to stick by some of your own artistic decisions even if not everyone agrees with them. You can't write to please everyone, can you?

Thoughts?

The show (amateur production) that I have been in this week as prompted much feedback. Some just simply saying "That was great" and others saying "That was utter crap" so, no you can please everyone. Some people complained that our show was "too short" so I took that as compliment. I personally think it is better to stick with what YOU want in the show. As RTD said about Doctor Who, it's your show, not the audiences'. So... there's my answer for what it's worth.

Anyhow, well done! ;)

Quote: Scatterbrained Floozy @ July 30 2009, 8:03 PM BST

I go bright red every time. I really take things to heart, but thus try to avoid situations or actions which might lead to criticism. Maybe that makes me a weaker person, but it also means I try my best at everything I do.

Well done on the gig, Sammy!

Doesn't make you weak Scatters.

What an incredibly stupid question.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ July 30 2009, 8:06 PM BST

Yeah. Surely the answer is 'yes'.

Ah, I meant 'no'. :S

Thoughts?

Yes, I think it does. When I first started as a journalist I was really bothered when an editor would ask for re-writes and change my work. Then I realised it happens to everyone (an editor has to have something to do) and just got used to it.

It's nothing personal and sometimes it's helpful, sometimes it's not. Eventually you develop a thick skin.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ July 30 2009, 8:06 PM BST

What an incredibly stupid answer.

I like it criticism means people are getting into your work they can either see potential or you're missing a high point you made earlier. Bland praise means something was good but nothing special.
If what you do is good then others will stare closely at it and of course see the flaws.

Also good criticism is the only real way to grow as an artist.

Quote: Scatterbrained Floozy @ July 30 2009, 8:11 PM BST

What an incredibly stupid answer.

What an incredibly stupid quotation of an incredibly stupid answer.

I performed in my new comedy show last night for the first time. We got a great audience reaction and response, laughter in the right places and then after lots of positive feedback. Of course we got a healthy dose of constructive critism too, everyone a critic telling you what bits could change (everyone had different ideas of course). I find its all the "constructive" feedback I remember, and although I think its very helpful and important, I still sometimes find it hard to swallow.

Thoughts?

When do we get to see this show?

Quote: Robert D @ July 30 2009, 8:14 PM BST

What an incredibly stupid quotation of an incredibly stupid answer.

Robert, you're incredibly stupid. :P

(Not reaaally.:$)

I don't see why it's a stupid question. I'm genuinely interested. Enjoying these responses too. Sootyj, are you going to Edinburgh? I'm performing there, if you want to come along and throw some criticism our way - I'll have manned up by then. :)

Quote: Scatterbrained Floozy @ July 30 2009, 8:14 PM BST

Robert, you're incredibly stupid. :P

:D

I know but I try to hide it. ;)