How good are you at dealing with criticism? Page 8

Quote: Nil Putters @ August 2 2009, 4:32 PM BST

I do, Le Evil!! > The Evil in French! :O

Yep, that too.

Quote: Leevil @ August 2 2009, 4:20 PM BST

But seriously. You'd have to try damn hard to upset me over the internet. Please don't take that as a challenge. I don't want to see my family kidnapped and tortured. Thank you.

Teary

Often critics are of the opinion that the writer, artist or performer should be able to take any amount of criticism, and that they are in the wrong business if they aren't completely resilient to it. I think this is damaging, since in order to attempt to be original, the creative mind will usually make itself vulnerable, by presenting work which by its very nature, may not be successful. It's much easier to present safe work which you know will be well-received.

While the critics clearly needs space to speak their minds honestly, it's in everyone's interests to encourage attempts to innovate, rather than stamp all over them.

It's important to remember that comedy can be very subjective. A recent script of mine garnered precisely NO laughs from one producer, who "didn't get it", whilst another wants to go into development with it (at a major prod. company). Criticism stings but you really have to get used to it, accept that it's part of the job and (if possible) not let it detract you from writing what you consider funny/original. You do get (somewhat) used to negative comments, frustrations and disappointments the longer you're writing, I think. If you can, don't get too cynical and if one person reacts badly to your material, vow to make your next one so good even they will be impressed.

Quote: Tim Walker @ August 3 2009, 11:57 AM BST

It's important to remember that comedy can be very subjective. A recent script of mine garnered precisely NO laughs from one producer, who "didn't get it", whilst another wants to go into development with it (at a major prod. company). Criticism stings but you really have to get used to it, accept that it's part of the job and (if possible) not let it detract you from writing what you consider funny/original. You do get (somewhat) used to negative comments, frustrations and disappointments the longer you're writing, I think. If you can, don't get too cynical and if one person reacts badly to your material, vow to make your next one so good even they will be impressed.

I always think it's good, also, to temper your response to one person's criticism in the light of what they have done themselves. If it is a producer for example have a look at what they have made, do you find it funny, intelligent, clever, moving...

Also, people sometimes don't 'get it' in the script, even so called experienced people, but when they see it on screen do. It's a rum old business.

Quote: Marc P @ August 3 2009, 12:02 PM BST

even so called experienced people

I hate that phrase. What does it even mean? Are you implying that the experienced people in question aren't in fact experienced at all? Or that they are experienced but they are also idiots?

Quote: chipolata @ August 3 2009, 12:06 PM BST

I hate that phrase. What does it even mean? Are you implying that the experienced people in question aren't in fact experienced at all? Or that they are experienced but they are also idiots?

In some cases the first, in others the second, and in some cases both.

A part of the job is to take what in on the page and 'visualise' how it is on the screen, you would be suprised at the number of so called experienced people who are not capable of doing that.

:D

Quote: Marc P @ August 3 2009, 12:10 PM BST

In some cases the first, in others the second, and in some cases both.

A part of the job is to take what in on the page and 'visualise' how it is on the screen, you would be suprised at the number of so called experienced people who are not capable of doing that.

Thanks for your so called answer, Marc! :)

Quote: Marc P @ August 3 2009, 12:10 PM BST

And some are brilliant at it, to be fair. You can usually tell who. They're the ones who give you the best critcism. :)

Quote: Tim Walker @ August 3 2009, 12:12 PM BST

And some are brilliant at it, to be fair. You can usually tell who. They're the ones who give you the best critcism. :)

True!

Honestly sometimes it's simple things like a sound direction that ends one scene and is picked up in the begining of the next. People focus on the page and are not seeing it as a fluid entirety as it will be on the screen with words and pictures and sounds and everything. Some people, my partner, for example are not very good at looking at architectureal floor plans and visualising the three dimensional proposed reality.

Quote: Marc P @ August 3 2009, 12:17 PM BST

Some people, my partner, for example are not very good at looking at architectureal floor plans and visualising the three dimensional proposed reality.

Presuming your partner is a woman, Marc, this could be an example of women famously not possessing such good visuo-spacial abilities as men?

Quote: Tim Walker @ August 3 2009, 12:21 PM BST

Presuming your partner is a woman, Marc, this could be an example of women famously not possessing such good visuo-spacial abilities as men?

Or pretending we don't so we don't have to look at your boring floor plans.

Quote: Marc P @ August 3 2009, 12:17 PM BST

Some people, my partner, for example are not very good at looking at architectureal floor plans and visualising the three dimensional proposed reality.

Is that date night for you two?

Quote: Tim Walker @ August 3 2009, 12:21 PM BST

I did originally write women aren't very good etc... but thought I 'd have that Sarah Beeney banging on my door!!

:)