How good are you at dealing with criticism? Page 2

Manned up? Crikey that looks like it'd be a waste.

I may be in Edinburgh hope so. And I think Kevin was having a joke, which I thought was funny.

Quote: Sammy @ July 30 2009, 8:17 PM BST

I don't see why it's a stupid question.

It isn't. :)

Quote: sootyj @ July 30 2009, 8:19 PM BST

I think Kevin was having a joke, which I thought was funny.

Yup :)

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ July 30 2009, 8:21 PM BST

Yup :)

I didn't get it. :(

Oh God. No wonder I've been getting constructive feedback. I clearly don't have a sense of humour! :P

Quote: Sammy @ July 30 2009, 8:23 PM BST

Oh God. No wonder I've been getting constructive feedback. I clearly don't have a sense of humour! :P

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

Quote: Robert D @ July 30 2009, 8:22 PM BST

I didn't get it. :(

But that totally rubbishes my comeback. :(

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

:D

I don't have a sense of humour. Perhaps I should go to your show and give you some non-taking-the-piss feedback.

Not that your current feedback is piss-take.

Quote: Scatterbrained Floozy @ July 30 2009, 8:25 PM BST

But that totally rubbishes my comeback. :(

I know.

But do I?

Yes, I know.

Oh God. No wonder I've been getting constructive feedback.

What was the constructive criticism mainly about?

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ July 30 2009, 8:27 PM BST

What was the constructive criticism mainly about?

One sketch felt weaker than the others so the energy dipped at that part, one of the people in our group's voice not loud enough, one character needed to be more likeable and give the audience more. second half of show was exhausting because so much was going on, they felt like they had been on a proper rollercoaster (i don't mind that though, I quite like it), needed to be slightly shorter. (we did over run by about 10 mins)

All minor things really and we have a week to perfect before Edinburgh. Generally we got really positive response. I'm just a perfectionist.

Quote: Sammy @ July 30 2009, 8:36 PM BST

One sketch felt weaker than the others so the energy dipped at that part, one of the people in our group's voice not loud enough, one character needed to be more likeable and give the audience more. second half of show was exhausting because so much was going on, they felt like they had been on a proper rollercoaster (i don't mind that though, I quite like it), needed to be slightly shorter. (we did over run by about 10 mins)

All minor things really and we have a week to perfect before Edinburgh. Generally we got really positive response. I'm just a perfectionist.

Sounds all pretty fixable. Good luck with Edinburgh!

My favourite piece of criticism ever -

'The food in here is terrible.'

'I know and the portions are so small.'

You can't please everyone all the time but neither can put blind faith into the supposed sheer brilliance of everything you put together.

The critic defines the importance and relevence of the criticism. So listen to those that know and disregard everyone else as gibbering baboons who like to fling their faeces around.

Criticism is easy to take if you know in your heart the critic is right. It's when you're forced to take criticism from somebody who clearly knows f**k all about anything that it becomes a bitter pill.

When're you in Edinburgh Sammy? I'll be bobbing through there myself - not sure when yet - probably the last week of Aug.

(By the way, I think Kevin Murphy's brusque answer was merely a humourous riff on your original "taking criticism" point.) :)

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ July 30 2009, 9:11 PM BST

My favourite piece of criticism ever -

'The food in here is terrible.'

'I know and the portions are so small.'

Is that from... Annie Hall?

Quote: Lee Henman @ July 30 2009, 9:55 PM BST

Criticism is easy to take if you know in your heart the critic is right. It's when you're forced to take criticism from somebody who clearly knows f**k all about anything that it becomes a bitter pill.

When're you in Edinburgh Sammy? I'll be bobbing through there myself - not sure when yet - probably the last week of Aug.

(By the way, I think Kevin Murphy's brusque answer was merely a humourous riff on your original "taking criticism" point.) :)

Yeah I did think it could have been that originally but I wasn't sure! He's a clever one.

We are going to be at the Rowan Caves and at The Grape with two shows a day (part of PBH's free fringe). Our group is called Sunken Luggage. (http://www.sunkenluggage.com)