Favourite comedienne? Page 2

Quote: Tim Walker @ July 7 2009, 9:14 AM BST

If you have to ask that question, you'll never understand, Stotty.

:(

Quote: Matthew Stott @ July 7 2009, 9:12 AM BST

Why do so many people seem to fancy Lucy Porter on here?

I don't think it's exclusive to just on here.

Sometimes I think Cor. Sometimes I don't even think about it.

Sarah Hadland is ace. Very dynamic indeed - a vast range of characters. See the current comedies That Mitchell and Webb Look and Horrible Histories for evidence (and the recent Moving Wallpaper for yet another different side to her)

Every time topics like these come up, I always say Sally Phillips. And this is no different. Sally Phillips is awesomelly fantasically wonderful. Great talent.

Yes to Sally Phillips.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ July 7 2009, 2:34 AM BST

Victoria Wood? She's about as funny as a three legged kitten with cancer of the eyeballs...on fire in a skip.

In terms of bust a gut laughing, you can't beat Joan Rivers, Jo Brand, and Sarah Silverman for stand up.

No accounting for taste, but after dissing the wonderful Victoria you have just namechecked three of the least funny women who ever lived. Joan Rivers' material has been recycled so often it is stretched almost as a thin as her skin and Jo Brand has the comic timing of Maggie Thatcher.

Sally Philips. Yes.

Lucy Porter plays up the slightly 'cutesy ditzy' thing a bit too much for me. Which is fine, I guess, as it's probably a bit of a character she plays for her standup. But it gets a bit annoying.

The other one that looks like her and has a puppet is good too.

Nina Conti.

That's no way to speak to zooo.

Oh and I forgot Pippa Evans - she does so many brilliant characters. And can improvise with the best of them!

Lovey

I heart her.

Quote: Leevil @ July 7 2009, 6:31 PM BST

That's no way to speak to zooo.

Ha!
Thanks Aaron, I always forget her name.

Quote: Timbo @ July 7 2009, 1:21 PM BST

No accounting for taste, but after dissing the wonderful Victoria you have just namechecked three of the least funny women who ever lived. Joan Rivers' material has been recycled so often it is stretched almost as a thin as her skin and Jo Brand has the comic timing of Maggie Thatcher.

Victoria Wood's own brand of twee middle class, middle England, polite dinner company style of humour is the antithesis of everything I hold dear in comedy.

It is neither ground breaking, original or dangerous and worst of all, it's not even remotely funny. Only the Vicar of Dibley tops her style of comedy in terms of totally predictable, middle of the road blandness.

She said 'smack me on the bottom with a Woman's Weekly' once - ha, ha, bloody ha. She am teh suk.

I love that song!
I find her very funny.
And the League of Gentleman cite her as one of their influences, so maybe there's more to her than you've seen so far.

Quote: zooo @ July 7 2009, 11:11 PM BST

so maybe there's more to her than you've seen so far.

Yeah, cuz she's only been around for the last 100 years, maybe in her dying twilight years, she'll suddenly whip out Dinner Ladies 2 to smash my preconceived notions of her crapness.