Favourite comedienne?

I'd say mine's Caroline Aherne. Appart from that Julia Louis Dreyfus and Tina Fey would be other choices.

Any opinions/suggestions. Who would yours be?

Either Hinge or Bracket, can't decide between the two.

Failing them, Tina Fey.

Including comedy actors?
'Comedienne' makes me just think of stand ups.

Victoria Wood.

Actually I'll change that.

Sarah Silverman.

Joan Rivers.

If I had to pick one it would probably be Victoria Wood for consistently good shows (in my opinion obviously). If we're not just talking stand up I'd include Julie Waters in the same breath.

French and Saunders and Ruby Wax have had their moments.

And back in the 1980s maybe more for their sitcom than stand up I loved Roseanne and Ellen.

Ruth Jones is great as a writer and actor.

I saw Kerry Godliman on Michael McIntyre's show for the first time this week and thought she was pretty good.

OK I'm listing too many now but it's good to big up the women for a change.

I can't tell a joke but some obviously can!

:)

How did I forget about Miranda Richardson. She was terrific.

The late Linda Smith.

Others who spring to mind are Victoria Wood and Rita Rudner (whatever became of her?)

Mine have mostly been mentioned - French and Saunders (although not their live/stand up stuff)
Victoria Wood. She's amazing as a writer, a stand up, a singer... you name it, she's done it.
The late great Linda Smith.
Josie Lawrence. She is unbeatable down at the Comedy Store.
Shappi Khorsandi.

If we're talking stand-up comedy, then Josie Long and Jo Brand immediately spring to mind. Sarah Millican too.

Victoria Wood? She's about as funny as a three legged kitten with cancer of the eyeballs...on fire in a skip.

In terms of bust a gut laughing, you can't beat Joan Rivers, Jo Brand, and Sarah Silverman for stand up. In terms of comedy actresses, no one can touch Kathy Burke.

Of course they all pale in comparison with Carol Burnett, who was the funniest woman ever.

Dame Edna. Followed by Madeline Kahn and Beryl Reid.

The lovely Lucy Porter. Yum.

Quote: Tim Walker @ July 7 2009, 6:14 AM BST

The lovely Lucy Porter. Yum.

Why do so many people seem to fancy Lucy Porter on here?

Quote: Matthew Stott @ July 7 2009, 9:12 AM BST

Why do so many people seem to fancy Lucy Porter on here?

If you have to ask that question, you'll never understand, Stotty.