Red Nose Day Page 4

VERY interesting from Gervais and Merchant.

Gervais has almost chucked away the subtlety his persona had, and it really worked. Answered his critics not in his usual way, but almost admitted they were right in some ways.

The whole acting as Brent, the way he got Merchant to take his t-shirt off and that brilliant Pudsey gag - all very funny.

Very, very funny. Merchant was ace too.

And a bit of a coup getting Louis Walsh to do all that.

It was brilliant.

And the Royles back on form too. Funniest thing they've done since series 3 ended.

The Gervais thing was ace. Nice to see him do a bit of self-deprecation, it's highly-endearing.

Hope there wasn't anything good on pre-10pm. My poxy Sky+ box failed.

Quote: Lee Henman @ March 14 2009, 12:10 AM GMT

The Gervais thing was ace. Nice to see him do a bit of self-deprecation, it's highly-endearing.

I don't want to go all deep but I wonder why he's changed tact slightly?

Compared to his (very funny) fake video from the last CR where he plays himself as monstrous. This time round it was gloriously over the top.

I wonder if James Corden's emergence (as someone who is desperate to be the next Gervais) has made RG go in a different direction re: his persona.

Secondly: how hot and slutty did Carol Vorderman look?!

EDIT: AHHHHH, Jack Dee being ace, as ever.

I also liked Gervais and his change in tone pretty much accepting the criticism of him.

His smug schtick was very funny at first but it had grown stale so tonight was refreshing.

I think Jack Dee has been the funniest thing all night.

Quote: Seefacts @ March 13 2009, 11:38 PM GMT

VERY interesting from Gervais and Merchant.

Gervais has almost chucked away the subtlety his persona had, and it really worked. Answered his critics not in his usual way, but almost admitted they were right in some ways.

The whole acting as Brent, the way he got Merchant to take his t-shirt off and that brilliant Pudsey gag - all very funny.

Very, very funny. Merchant was ace too.

And a bit of a coup getting Louis Walsh to do all that.

Pretty much agreed. Great little sketch.

Quote: Lee Henman @ March 14 2009, 12:10 AM GMT

Hope there wasn't anything good on pre-10pm. My poxy Sky+ box failed.

Outnumbered.

I didn't notice any difference in Gervais's tone. He's always done self deprecating stuff.
But anyway, it was by far the funniest thing on all night!

Quote: zooo @ March 14 2009, 12:28 AM GMT

I didn't notice any difference in Gervais's tone. He's always done self deprecating stuff.

True, but it's come across as 'real' in the past. This was ramped up as if to say 'This is obviously how you see me, so here it is'.

Quote: Seefacts @ March 14 2009, 12:32 AM GMT

True, but it's come across as 'real' in the past. This was ramped up as if to say 'This is obviously how you see me, so here it is'.

I'm with zooo - I think he's always made this obvious, right back to The 11 O'Clock Show.

I don't get the difference! I'm too thick or too tired or summink.

My Nan switched to Coronation Street so I missed a bit. Did I miss the "Let's Dance For Comic Relief" finale? Or will that be on Saturday?

Cheers

Quote: miss_jaffacake @ March 14 2009, 12:46 AM GMT

My Nan switched to Coronation Street so I missed a bit. Did I miss the "Let's Dance For Comic Relief" finale? Or will that be on Saturday?

Cheers

It's not been on yet!

Quote: zooo @ March 14 2009, 12:34 AM GMT

I don't get the difference! I'm too thick or too tired or summink.

In the past he's always played it as if it actually is him. Like it's not an act. Here, he upped the absurdity so it quite clearly WAS an act.

Quote: Seefacts @ March 14 2009, 12:32 AM GMT

Defffffffinitely.

Quote: Lee Henman @ March 13 2009, 7:23 PM GMT

I look forward to this every year.

Really? By gum.

Quote: Aaron @ March 14 2009, 1:18 AM GMT

In the past he's always played it as if it actually is him. Like it's not an act. Here, he upped the absurdity so it quite clearly WAS an act.

Ahhh. So we people that got that YEARS ago, are just more intelligent and better readers of subtlety than those who it only just occured to.

Yes that sounds acceptable, I understand now. :)