Not Going Out - Series 3 Page 44

Personally, I don't find Mav's comments to be out of order. He/she has been perfectly polite IMO! We're all friends here hopefully..?

I'm not a fan of 'Not Going Out' either -- I find the two lead characters to be very broad caricatures of people who I'm not sure exist anyway, and if they did I wouldn't find them interesting. That's me trying to be honest, not rude, and it's just my opinion.

I watched Lee Mack's standup show last night, and thought he was terrific, very funny indeed. And I've often wondered how NGO would be if different people were saying the very same lines of dialogue, because it's often very sharp. But, for me, the two aren't gelling.

There have been many classic sitcoms built around a standup comic (indeed, what is arguably the best one ever made is in this category), but it doesn't always work -- again, my opinion only.

But fair play to anyone getting a sitcom to, so far, three series on BBC One and for it to be enjoyed by so many.

I also don't find Mav's comments out of order. I don't agree with many but he has put his thoughts across well.

His "this show is the most overrated here" is no more reactionary than saying "NGO has a higher laugh rate than The Simpsons" for example, both comments are invalid in my opinion but I aren't offended by either.

Quote: Martin Holmes @ March 4 2009, 4:53 PM GMT

His "this show is the most overrated here" is no more reactionary than saying "NGO has a higher laugh rate than The Simpsons" for example, both comments are invalid in my opinion but I aren't offended by either.

Well when you misquote an opinion as if it were stated as fact, then yes it's invalid.

Quote: Dene Kernohan @ March 4 2009, 1:28 PM GMT

There have been many classic sitcoms built around a standup comic (indeed, what is arguably the best one ever made is in this category)

Yeah, I bloody love Up Pompeii!.

Quote: Aaron @ March 4 2009, 6:11 PM GMT

Well when you misquote an opinion as if it were stated as fact, then yes it's invalid.

I never said either comments were stated as facts. They are both clearly opinions and opinions that I don't agree with, but it doesn't mean I'm offended by them, is the point I was trying to get across. :)

I've been away from the forum for a while and would like to give you all my imput:

Lee Mack is gooooorgeous :D

We're all friends here hopefully..?

Hug

I'm not a fan of 'Not Going Out'

:O

That is all!

I agree with most of what Mav42 has said about Not Going Out in terms of its lack of depth or warmth and the fact the characters seem to be very basic and simply there to deliever zingers but I think that the way the writers responded and argued their case should be noted.

Their intelligent and mature responses have made this the best thread on the site.

I also think that just because Mav42 doesn't like the show and has analysed it a lot does not make his comments snobbish.

Quote: Aaron @ March 4 2009, 6:11 PM GMT

Yeah, I bloody love Up Pompeii!.

Good man.

:)

Quote: Princess Pancake @ March 5 2009, 2:07 AM GMT

With all due respect to Lee and, speaking as a heterosexual male, I would say he's mid-table Championship...

;)

Dan

I've tried not to get involved in this, but it's been a very interesting read! I don't agree with what Mav is saying on any level, but they are entitled to their opinion and after their initial reactionary post saying this was the most overrated programme on here, they went on to explain themselves in a intelligent and coherent way. As did the writers, who needn't have responded at all to the criticism, especially when there is so much praise for the show on this thread.
Wish I could articulate my love for NGO better than 'I love it! It makes me laugh!'

Quote: Princess Pancake @ March 5 2009, 2:07 AM GMT

Lovey Finally someone talking sense!:P

I just got a text from my dad saying "Anabolic?...No just the penis."

This line is still making me laugh.

That's another of the great joys of this show - and writing it. We comedy anoraks can spend hours discussing what kind of sitcom it is, and what we'd like it to be - but the two things this series that have made more people laugh than any other have been
a) anabolic
and
b) Tim falling over in the baby shop.

Dave C

Sorry if I went off on one a bit. It's just that one of my pet hates is over-analysis of comedy and it rattles me somewhat. Especially when the word "juxtapose" comes into play for some reason. I really hate that word.

I just think you can be too serious about comedy. I also think the writers who've graced this thread with their replies have been extremely gracious, considering they've being presented with cold, analytical breakdowns of why their show is shit. (Which it isn't.)
It's a bit like your wife turning to you after sex and saying "I see what you were attempting to achieve, but your performance was a failure on the following points, which I have detailed on this flip chart..."

Obviously I'm not saying that we should blow smoke up all successful writers' orifices, but I just find it a tad uncomfortable to watch somebody's work being dissected in front of them like some sort of flayed twitching frog corpse on a science geek's table.

But that's just me. For what it's worth, I think NGO is great. It's simple, fun, unpretentious, and has REAL gags. There's always going to be room for that kind of stuff on my telly.

Quote: Lee Henman @ March 5 2009, 2:12 PM GMT

Sorry if I went off on one a bit. It's just that one of my pet hates is over-analysis of comedy and it rattles me somewhat. Especially when the word "juxtapose" comes into play for some reason. I really hate that word.

I just think you can be too serious about comedy.

Lovey

It's simple, fun, unpretentious, and has REAL gags. There's always going to be room for that kind of stuff on my telly.

:)

Obviously I'm not saying that we should blow smoke up all successful writers' orifices, but I just find it a tad uncomfortable to watch somebody's work being dissected in front of them like some sort of flayed twitching frog corpse on a science geek's table.

But they do come here out of choice. Andrew/Dave/Lee (apparently does read according to his interview on this here site) don't have to come here to see how things are going? Surely we all need a bit of criticism as nothing's perfect -- you never know, a single phrase from someone might lead to you making that 'perfect' sitcom that you sell the rights to all around the world! :)

Don't get me wrong, I appreciated them coming here, but surely this is the *exactly* the place to give your opinions (however frank) on individual comedies.

I don't agree with Mav's points but if he doesn't like the show and wishes to 'over-analyse' that's his prerogative and here is where he can share that with other people who watch and enjoy/don't enjoy the show. Nobody should be jumping on his back and chasing him off as I don't think he's been particularly rude to anybody, just stating his opinion of the show.

EDIT -- No, couldn't find anywhere to put the word 'juxtapose' in... ;)

Dan

Quote: Aaron @ March 5 2009, 2:26 PM GMT

Lovey

Aaron is totally gay for Henman. :)