Writing for Newsjack (aka 7 on 7) Page 7

I felt really constrained being only able to send 3 sketches. 2 topical and 2 non-topical would have been better for me...

Anyhow, I wonder how they are going to get through those sketches so fast. At least we won't have long to wait. Pleased

I don't think they're looking for these to be broadcast (essentially, though that may come later) so I suspect it just goes into a 'Yes/No' pile to reject all the rubbish. Then the 'Yes' pile gets mottled down again. And again. And again. By different readers each time.

Recorded For Training Purposes had each sketch read by two different people at the first stage, so I'd guess they'll do something similar again.

All conjecture though!

Dan

I think I took a bit of a risk by sending in sketches I wrote during the submission period rather than my best ones ever. I wanted to show what they can expect from me which, from life experience, is never a good idea. Errr

I was hoping a great news story would happen this morning, hence I started mine at 9.30am....

Not a lot to make sketches out of recently - not unless you want to use kids dying and cancer...:(

Quote: It was an accident @ February 27 2009, 10:33 AM GMT

On the other hand, it's nice to have some more sketches in our repertoire. :D

Hello, Yeah I was pleased with the amount I wrote as well. It was quite interesting to do stuff to a deadline like that.

Wave[/quote]

Hey there,

How's it going?

I agree with you on that, it was interesting and a little bit fun to write to a deadline like that (especially since I only found out about it 4 or 5 days ago!).

Wave

The point being, just because they have to be topical, doesn't mean you can't spin existing sketch ideas into something relevant to current affairs.

Yeah, I did that with one of mine. I spun an old Northern Rock losses sketch into one about HBOS losses.

Also, as I regularly (almost daily) write sketches, I didn't have to write anything especially for the show. I just sent what I thought were my best three topicals at the time.

I sent them about a week ago, as their sell-by dates won't expire for ages. (Mostly about economy/bank stuff)

Mind you, I'm slightly kicking myself as I wrote a good sketch the other day about the Royal Mail sell-off.

I have sent something in, right on the deadline because I'm playing hard to get with BBC radio now. I've thrown myself at them to no avail, so now I'm keeping them waiitng and playing it mean.

Dolly, I thought you'd been quite successful in getting stuff on radio with RFTP etc.

Quote: Mikey J @ February 27 2009, 12:14 PM GMT

Dolly, I thought you'd been quite successful in getting stuff on radio with RFTP etc.

Shh! Or you'll set her off again!

Dan

whoops, too late

Quote: swerytd @ February 27 2009, 12:18 PM GMT

Shh! Or you'll set her off again!

Dan

Yes Mikey! :)

They seem to like my stuff. They will record it and pay for it. But will they ever send me briefs about other shows, invite me to write for new projects, or workshops?????? WILL THEY FUCK!!!!!!

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ February 27 2009, 2:21 PM GMT

Yes Mikey! :)

They seem to like my stuff. They will record it and pay for it. But will they ever send me briefs about other shows, invite me to write for new projects, or workshops?????? WILL THEY FUCK!!!!!!

That seems a familar story, where have I heard it before... oh yeah... me too. :D

Ah right.

I suppose the best thing to do is keep submitting to these things, network and shout from the rooftops.
Maybe then you'll get noticed.

Me three, btw. :(

Dan

Do you go along to any of the recordings and let the producer match a face to the name? If not, perhaps you should, if you do, perhaps you should stop...

Quote: Afinkawan @ February 27 2009, 3:28 PM GMT

Do you go along to any of the recordings and let the producer match a face to the name? If not, perhaps you should, if you do, perhaps you should stop...

I went to recording of Tilt last year and had one of my sketches done on the night.

Made up city Arizona.

But then the credits read out at the end no mention of ickle wickle me. Spoke to the Producer who was really apologetic and said "sorry admin cock up we'll not broadcast it until next week".

Guess what next week came and went and nowt but my salty tears a-fallin to the ground.

Bah! Maybe I should have worn a mask Teary Teary

I haven't had any time. Just looking at it now. Thought there might be a funny reversal on the RyanAir toilet story. Something about RyanAir charging for flights now, when using their toilets sort of angle. And the Royal Mail selling off 30% of Postman Pat. Yeah. OK. Bye.