Sitcom Trials 2009 Page 3

Talking of the networking importance of The Sitcom Trials, don't forget to join the Sitcom Trials Facebook group at http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/group.php?gid=5951180247&ref=ts

....where you'll find yourself rubbing shoulders with Trials alumni including actors, writers, producers and other interested parties. There's also a Myspace page, though I've not found that as useful contact-wise as Facebook.

Kev

Given the whole name-owning thing you were talking about before, why did 'The Sitcom Trials' become 'Every1's A Critic' this year? I thought it was officially the second one now, not the original. Any chance you (or anyone) could clarify, as I'm (more) confused (than normal!)?

Dan

Dec & Si, having run The Sitcom Trials in 2007, planned to do a different show, inspired by the Trials but with sketches, character comedy and other stuff included, and they wanted to charge people to participate. That was to be Every1sacritic.

But The Arts Theatre (now Leics Square Theatre) came on board, offered support and venue, but wanted The Sitcom Trials. Which meant I came back into the picture (the Trials being mine), but as a sleeping partner. Dec & Si choose the scripts, delegate the work and take the credit for this forthcoming season's Sitcom Trials, and I stay at arm's length, offering help where needed, updating the Myspace and Facebook pages and occasionally presenting the show. (I also artworked the posters and flyers, oh yes I'm that multitalented). And, of course, when we start negotiating with TV again (which I'm still doing independently) I'm involved throughout as the format and brand owner.

But, as the saying goes, ignore me I'm not here. Enjoy the show.

Ah, okay. Thanks for clearing that up.

Dan

THE SITCOM TRIALS SHOW
Come and see the scripts that made it. Grab us in the bar and tell us why we were wrong not to take yours.

First show is on Feb 4th (then every Wednesday after that). Shows are at 5 o'clock and 7 o'clock at the Leicester Square Theatre.

You can book online at Leicester Square Theatre - 6 Leicester Place, London WC2H 7BX

BOX OFFICE 0844 847 2475

Come and say hello afterwards. You'll find our photos on the every1sacritic website http://www.every1sacritic.com/Home.html

Simon

EVERY1SACRITIC

Just to clear up something in Kev's post: we have never said that we will charge people to participate and in fact are vehemently opposed to those showcases that do so.

We did want to introduce a reading fee last year simply because it would weed out all those idle b*%^$$s who simply dusted off their rejected telly scripts and sent them to a live sitcom event. Our plan was to refund the fee to everyone whose script conformed to the requirements of live staging (about 2% on this year's sample), but charge performers to participate? Never have. Never will.

Declan and Simon

Oops, sorry about suggesting you were charging for shows, when I always knew you were only charging a reading fee, and didn't realise about the reimbursement part. That was my error and I didn't mean to give the wrong impression.

To clarify, Declan and Simon's Every1sacritic project was amended to become The Sitcom Trials again in Spring 2008 and some details changed. The important thing is it's happening, right now, and you've all got to go to the shows.

Now, two shows a night? When did that change happen? (Honestly, I am soooo slow at picking these things up).

Kev F

You refund the reading fee on the 2% who get used? I'm sure this is worthy and honourable endeavour, but I'd that post it makes you sound like Arthur Daley, which I'm sure you're not.

Sooty there was no reading fee at all. It was something they considered (the Trials has to be funded somehow) and rejected.

One of the reasons why we didn't have a reading fee is because BBC Writers Room wouldn't promote anything that involved a charge. This, apparently, is because they are a corporation. However, they now promote competitions that have a charge, so they must have been totally mistaken.

We're certainly not ripping anyone off, and would NEVER charge anyone to be in our shows. We've got a theatre to pay for and bums on seats is the only way for us to do it right now. If anyone knows of any sponsors who want to come on board, please let us know.

There are indeed two shows a night, one at 5pm and one at 7pm. The 5pm is an industry show, and we've got 30 spare seats at £5 for the public to come in and make the place warm and fuzzy. The 7pm show is for the general public, and we've got 50 seats at £10 and £8 for concessions (unemployed, student, Equity, disabled, former workshop attendee). We've got industry people from Avalon, Endemol, Big Bear Films, Roughcut TV and So! coming for Feb 4.

The voting system has also changed, and we've got three industry judges who will decide which two sitcoms go through to the next round. Industry judges for Feb 4 are Dawn Ellis, comedy producer for Radio 4, Time Out's comedy editor Tim Arthur and writer for My Family and Broken Arts, Jane Lamacraft. The audience also get to vote for their two favourites, and the sitcom with the highest total audience vote at the end of the second semi-final will also go through, so there'll be five sitcoms in the Grand Final. This way the audience get a say but it's not open to gerrymandering abuse, and industry bods in the know also get to choose the ones they think are the most industry-friendly.

We know that BSG forum members are just as passionate about The Sitcom Trials as we are, and we look forward to seeing you at our shows. Please come and grab us in the bar afterwards and introduce yourselves.

Cheers, Declan and Simon
Every 1's A Critic
For The Sitcom Trials

Break a leg for tonight.

The industry showcase sounds marvellous, well done guys. Let us know how everything went, there are a lot of writers out there on tenterhooks.

Kev F

Yeah I hope Simon or Declan or perhaps one of the writers will be able to post something about how tonight's shenanigans go? Would be great to get a report on this each week.

Me, Bussell and Ben went. Too tired to post anything else about it. A couple of the sitcoms were really good though.

Morning all

Really glad that some BSGers came to the show last night, don't be scared of introducing yourselves to us, we love to chat with you guys in person!

We'll let other people tell us if we did well last night, and also if we did anything we can do better. Please give us feedback if you were there.

As for the shows, we had an industry show at 5pm with a number of TV companies in, and an audience show at 7pm. Both shows completely sold out, and we had to add more chairs for the 7pm so that we didn't turn people away.

Andy Fox, doing his first compering gigs for six years, did an absolutely brilliant job in both shows, and showed his utterly playful side when making the audiences both relaxed and 'up for it'.

The four sitcoms in contention were Desperate Men, written by John O'Shea and directed by Dan March, Boo! by Brian Scolaro directed by Maggie Inchley, The Pumpkings by Ben Davies directed by Caitriona McLaughlin and All I Need Is A F**k Buddy written and directed by Lydia Parker.

Interestingly, our industry judges, My Family writer Jane Lamacraft, Time Out's Tim Arthur and Radio 4's Dawn Ellis all voted the same way, totally independently of each other. Desperate Men picked up 13 points out of a possible 30, Boo! came third with 17, The Pumpkings put in an exemplary performance and stole the show on 24, while F**k Buddy came second on 20. Congratulations to the cast and director of The Pumpkings and F**k Buddy who go through to the quarter finals in April.

The audience vote saw F**k Buddy scream out if front with 29, with The Pumpkings on 12, Boo! with 6 and Desperate Men on 3.

We've got a few things to iron out for next week, but news from the box office is that we've nearly sold out the 7pm show already. If you want to book for it, or the credit-crunch-busting 5pm show at £5, please go online at www.leicestersquaretheatre.com or go to the theatre from 12noon (any day, not just the day of the show) to book in person.

We'd like to say a huge thank you to everyone - directors, cast members and all at the theatre - for their can-do attitude over the last few days. And to audience and industry members for turning up and coming in from the cold. We had a blast, and it was deeply satisfying to know that two of the writers are now talking to TV production companies.

Hey, let's do it again next week, but book early to avoid disappointment.

Love to all

Dec and Simon

Hey Simon and Declan

Thanks for the write-up. Sounds like a great night.

Out of interest (as I don't live in London and need to worry about trains) what time did the show finish?

PS bad luck to Renegade Carpark. Hope you had fun anyway.