Sitcom Trials 2009 Page 6

Hi Chums

A good-sized 5pm show yesterday with some nice industry people in, followed by a sell-out 7pm show.

First to report is that Graeme Knowles, who wrote Trainspotting which won week 2, is now in discussion with a TV scout. So that's three writers in three weeks, not a bad average and we're only in the first round. Just think what we can do in the quarter-finals.

Anyway, up for the cup last night were Dave, written by Anthony Dewson and directed by Frances Bifield, Toys, written by Imran Malik and directed by Brian Atkinson, Lost And Found, written by Johnny Fielding and directed by Dylan Emery and Lite Flyin by Andrew Flaherty, directed by Callum Coates.

Judges were Anna Madley from Avalon TV, Dominic Geraghty from Hubbards Casting, Dan Berlinka from Dandy Prods and someone called Mark, who apparently edits something called the British Sitcom Guide. We felt sorry for him, and gave him a clipboard and a pen, bless his fresh-faced heart.

The judges voted Toys way out in front, with Dave in second, so we'll see them in the quarter-finals in April. Well done to them. The audience vote was intriguing, with Dave winning with 18 votes, Lost And Found putting in the performance of the night and special mention must go to Phil Whelans and Henry Lewis for their crowd-pleasing displays and gaining 15 votes, Toys with 13 and Lite Flyin' a Eurovision spectacular 2.

Thanks also to Andy Fox for compering and Julia for stepping in and being a brilliant, life-saving techie. If stage managers ran the country, we wouldn't be in the mess we're in.

Thanks to all who came, next week should be equally as good. There's always tickets available for the 5pm show, so if you can make it, we'd love to see you there. As ever, come and introduce yourselves.

Cheers

Dec and Simon

Quick update on last night: two of the writers (that's 50% folks) were approached by a highly respected literary agent.

Seems like a good time to plug the workshop.

Four places left and counting...

contact info@every1sacritic.com for details

Speaking of next week's show, someone's bought a ticket and can't make it. If anyone wants to come to the evening show for a fiver, contact us on info@every1sacritic.com

First come, first served.

Cheers, Declan

Quote: Declan @ February 26 2009, 12:53 PM GMT

The judges voted Toys way out in front, with Dave in second, so we'll see them in the quarter-finals in April. Well done to them. The audience vote was intriguing, with Dave winning with 18 votes, Lost And Found putting in the performance of the night and special mention must go to Phil Whelans and Henry Lewis for their crowd-pleasing displays and gaining 15 votes, Toys with 13 and Lite Flyin' a Eurovision spectacular 2.

Okay, didn't go too well on the night, but still delighted to have been involved. Still wish I was there. Still hoping for a video clip. Still willing to enter the next one.

Andrew, did you get the email from the literary agent? She wants to see more of your writing. Email me at info@every1sacritic.com and I'll forward it to you.

Yes. I have emailed Jo. Thanks. :)

Hi Andrew

I was there last week and enjoyed yours - especially the surreal boss moments. I didn't think the number of votes reflected the way it was received, if that's any consolation. They were all good on the night. Shame you didn't get to see it though. I understand it's not feasible but it would be great if they were all being filmed.

I've been to the last two showcases and really enjoyed them. Looking forward to next week's too and then mine the week after!

Anyone else going from here?

Jx

It is feasible to film them; just not with an audience there.

All filmed Theatre shows look crap. Having your sitcom look like you've just filmed your kid's nativity play will do you no favours at all. As a marketing tool it's about as much use as an actor getting his publicity shots taken in a photo booth.

There is an alternative, however. And it needn't cost much.

We know a BBC cameraman who has his own broadcast quality equipment. For £50 he will film your sitcom properly with close-ups, two shots etc. Just like a broadcast sitcom.

If you want to be put in touch with him email us at info@every1sacritic.com

Simon

Hi,
Is this that contest which can be won as long as you have the most mates in the audience?
Or is it judged with judges these days?

(sorry if this is answered previously in this threador is no longer the case)

Dont apologise Mikey just read the thread :)

Quote: Jane Perrin @ February 28 2009, 7:01 PM GMT

Hi Andrew

I was there last week and enjoyed yours - especially the surreal boss moments. I didn't think the number of votes reflected the way it was received, if that's any consolation. They were all good on the night.

Thanks. That's what I was hoping for.
:)

Dont apologise Mikey just read the thread

lol. OK, read it.
And... ah, that's fairer... a panel of judges. :)

Hi guys

Thanks to everyone who came along yesterday and made both shows such enjoyable events. The 7pm sold out and they were turning them away at the box office, the 5pm was also sold out bar two tickets.

The sitcoms in question were Circus Land by Nick Chui, directed by Kym Suttle, From Riga To Rotherham by Dean Hardman directed by Sam Miller, Crisis Line by Wendy Bevan-Mogg, directed by Dan March, and Peter Higgins' Welcome To The Jungle, directed by Kamaal Hussain.

The 5pm industry show was judged by award-winning writer and former Sitcom Trialist Steve Keyworth, Radio 4 Script Editor Richard Turner, Catherine Oldfield from Monkey Kingdom TV and Jacqui Sinclair from RDF Comedy Unit.

With possibly the highest standard of sitcoms on offer to date, the voting was really tight and it was such a shame to see two of them miss out. We're considering changing the system next year to a leaderboard, like they have on 15-1 or, apparently, Top Gear, and, definitely, like the Saturday Kitchen omelette challenge, so the top 16 go through rather than two from each week. This will create other challenges, like consistency of different judges' voting, but it might be fairer. Comments would be welcome.

Anyway, out in front was Riga with 32 votes, with Welcome To The Jungle second on 26. Circus Land got 24 and Crisis Line 23, see how close it was? Gutting for the cast and crew on the last two, we know how much hard work you guys put in, thank you, we love you all.

However, rejection at this stage means little, as last week's 'losers' were both approached by a literary agent, and one of the 'losers' from week one is now in discussion with Avalon.

Come and see us, we've got another cracking show on next week, we'll be in the Imperial after the show.

Cheers, Dec and Simon

Jane (and Griff for that matter), best of luck next week. I'm sure that you'll find the whole experience very much worthwhile. The whole event is really well-run and the atmosphere very supportive. It's the perfect way to see whether what you've written actually works. Have fun!

Dean

Thank you Dean. :)

I am a little scared now!

But you're right, I've seen a few of the showcases and it's a very supportive atmosphere.

Whatever happens I've had the opportunity to work with a fantastic director and cast. It's been a pleasure and an education to see them bring the script to life.

I know it's a competition but I genuinely wish Griff and anyone else involved the best of luck in giving the best performances possible on the night.

And I'm sure I'm not alone in being a little astounded at how much effort has gone into producing 15 minutes of a (hopefully) effortless seeming show.

Jx