Doctor in the House Page 3

Quote: Baumski @ June 21, 2007, 12:30 PM

What I like about reacquanting myself with programmes like the Doctor series is realising how many of the stars are no longer with us. Barry Evans - dead. Robin Nedwell - dead, to name but two. Ah well, shit happens, I suppose.

Amazing when you watch this because they look so young...but then that's television. I often think how weird it must be for the families of these people to see them moving around and talking on television...to get fees for appearances...it must have some psychological effect, no matter how small.

When you consider all those guys, Emery, Howerd, Sellers, Milligan, Horne, Williams, Hancock...all are still active even after death. Some more so. Though they probably won't be touring anytime soon.

I didn't know Barry Evans was dead; I kinda knew Robin Nedwell had left us. I was watching Laurel and Hardy (who to my mind, when on form, were the finest physical slapstick comics ever) and it struck me that everyone connected with or in this film is dead. It's almost like a time capsule.

On a separate note, as I approach forty, I looked at the BBC site about the ninteen seventies the other day, and was struck. Remember when you were a kid and the nineteen forties looked so dreary and olde worlde? The 70s looked like that, now.

Quote: Ed Parnell @ June 28, 2007, 3:20 AM

Amazing when you watch this because they look so young...but then that's television. I often think how weird it must be for the families of these people to see them moving around and talking on television...to get fees for appearances...it must have some psychological effect, no matter how small.

Unfortunately, some families refuse permission for rebroadcasts, DVD releases and so on. It's a pity really. Some really excellent stuff is just sitting around gathering dust whilst the BBC et. al want to put it "out there".

Quote: Aaron @ June 28, 2007, 7:45 AM

Unfortunately, some families refuse permission for rebroadcasts, DVD releases and so on. It's a pity really. Some really excellent stuff is just sitting around gathering dust whilst the BBC et. al want to put it "out there".

I can sort of relate to that but I can't help thinking if they want to remember someone what better way than to remember them giving pleasure to millions.

A bit like my ex-wife.

Laughing out loud

I've not actually seen Doctor at Sea or Doctor Down Under since I was pretty young so I'm really looking forward to those comming out.

Quote: Ed Parnell @ June 28, 2007, 10:22 AM

I can sort of relate to that but I can't help thinking if they want to remember someone what better way than to remember them giving pleasure to millions.

A bit like my ex-wife.

nice one.

You can get The Best Of Doctor At Sea volume 1 at Amazon.co.uk in PAL VHS cassette, contains 4 episodes.

'Doctor Down Under' is available for Pre-order in Australia. http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/793831

Well that throws everything out of order.

Edit: Link fixed. - Aaron

Thanks for that. Will keep an eye out for a cheaper copy. ;)

Quote: Sir Geoffrey Loftus @ July 16, 2007, 12:28 PM

'Doctor Down Under' is available for Pre-order in Australia. http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/793831

Edit: Link fixed. - Aaron

Had a look at it and would love to get it, the only trouble being will region 4 work on my DVD player.

Might do. Depends if you have 'hacked' your DVD player or not! ;)

Call me dumb if you want Aaron, but what do you mean by hacked.

Aren't most DVD players multizoned now?

I live in region 4 but my DVD player accepts all the DVDs I purchase from United States of 1 and Great 2.

Quote: Jack Massey @ July 17, 2007, 10:11 PM

Call me dumb if you want Aaron, but what do you mean by hacked.

PM me the make and model of your DVD player, and I shall explain all...

Quote: Sir Geoffrey Loftus @ July 18, 2007, 11:47 AM

Aren't most DVD players multizoned now?

Nope. Not here anyway. One has to perform a little bit of, err, "magic". :)

Quote: Aaron @ July 18, 2007, 2:24 PM

PM me the make Nope. Not here anyway. One has to perform a little bit of, err, "magic". :)

Nothing a surgical hammer can't fix, aye?

My Computer's DVD drive is insisting I make a choice soon as to which region I'd like to be limmited. Damn Facists.

Anyway...

My (R2) 'Doctor in Charge' just arrived, and so did 'Doctor Down Under'

So far I've only watched one episode of DDU, but it's pretty funny.