PS3 vs XBox 360

Anyone have any views on this? I own a 360 myself and it's a magnificent games console, but it does naff all else. Whereas the PS3 has a built-in Blu Ray player, it's wireless out of the box, and it has a built-in web browser so you can sit in the comfort of your own couch in the lounge, wasting your life away on BCG.
Having said that, the PS3 loses bigtime when it comes to choice of games.

The thought has crossed my my mind to dump the 360 for the PS3, mainly for the web browser. Damn you Microsoft - give us 360 owners the internet!

Thoughts welcomed.

I bought a PS3 a year ago when it cost the same as a standalone Blu-ray player. It was a no-brainer.

I'm not a gamer, but my son has several. I just saw an advert for Little Big Planet and it's almost enough to make me give it a go. Seems pretty cool.

Quote: DaButt @ November 30 2008, 12:42 AM GMT

I bought a PS3 a year ago when it cost the same as a standalone Blu-ray player. It was a no-brainer.

I'm not a gamer, but my son has several. I just saw an advert for Little Big Planet and it's almost enough to make me give it a go. Seems pretty cool.

My mate Dean Wilkinson (who lives a few blocks away from me) wrote all Stephen Fry's dialogue for Little Big Planet. He knows next to nothing about gaming and I'm not sure he fully appreciates how big LBP is going to be, but I really think it's going to launch him in an entirely-new direction. He's been a tv comedy writer for ages and like most writers, things got a little tough for him for a while, but I predict this game is going to open up a whole new career for him. Writing for computer games is most definitely where it's at these days. It's one of the true growth industries and if there was ever a time to get your feet under the table it's now.

Quote: Lee Henman @ November 30 2008, 2:30 AM GMT

My mate Dean Wilkinson (who lives a few blocks away from me) wrote all Stephen Fry's dialogue for Little Big Planet.

It's one of the true growth industries and if there was ever a time to get your feet under the table it's now.

I had no idea Stephen Fry did work for LBP. I think I might go out and buy it tomorrow.

It seems that getting your songs in games like Rock Band and Guitar Hero is more important than radio airplay and MTV these days. It's really shaking up the industry.

I want a PS3 but I'll end up getting the Xbox 360 arcade version purely because it's cheaper but I'm worried about the Rings of Death (I think it's called?).

I have A Xbox 360, I had enough for a PS3 but looking at the variety of games and everything else The 360 made much more sense! I have recently ordered Bully: Scholarship Edition and today got 'Left 4 Dead'. Yet to play it though!

Quote: Leevil @ November 30 2008, 1:47 PM GMT

I want a PS3 but I'll end up getting the Xbox 360 arcade version purely because it's cheaper but I'm worried about the Rings of Death (I think it's called?).

If you intend to use it regularly you must get premium or you won't be able to save many games at all! The arcade comes with no hard drive. I almost fell for this kick in the face con as well! :D

Quote: Chickenoriental @ November 30 2008, 5:21 PM GMT

I have A Xbox 360, I had enough for a PS3 but looking at the variety of games and everything else The 360 made much more sense! I have recently ordered Bully: Scholarship Edition and today got 'Left 4 Dead'. Yet to play it though!

If you intend to use it regularly you must get premium or you won't be able to save many games at all! The arcade comes with no hard drive. I almost fell for this kick in the face con as well! :D

I just bought Left4Dead today and it's sexual. PM me your user name and we'll team up and fight the horde.

Quote: David Bussell @ November 30 2008, 6:09 PM GMT

I just bought Left4Dead today and it's sexual. PM me your user name and we'll team up and fight the horde.

Bloody Hell Stinky, you're spending some cash on games these days!

Agreed the PS3 has a limited number of games at the moment, but you'd never get me back on a 360 after the shit I had with MicroShite.

Oh, and your thread has PS2 in it, not PS3. :)

I bought Call of Duty: World at War and Little Big Planet today. They're ostensibly Christmas presents for my son, but he's playing them now. They look and sound really nice on a nice home theater setup.

I have a Wii and it's a pretty good little system but I'll be getting that newly lowered priced 360 this Christmas (I friend bought one for me as a wedding/Christmas present...sweeeet!).
All my friends have 360s and I really like the games. My favorite games are shooters and I LOVE the new Gears of War 2! It's so addictive!
I agree with DaButt though that extra Blue Ray is a pretty sweet deal, and Little Big Planet looks really fun!
Also all my friends have experienced the Ring of Death. My buddy downstairs has had it happen 3 times now!!! Hopefully these new Arcades won't be as bad.

Just tried to play LBP with my son and lasted about 10 minutes. I haven't really played a video game in more than 15 years and the multitude of buttons really did my head in. I think I need a Duck Hunt type of game. Errr

Quote: DaButt @ November 30 2008, 11:27 PM GMT

Just tried to play LBP with my son and lasted about 10 minutes. I haven't really played a video game in more than 15 years and the multitude of buttons really did my head in. I think I need a Duck Hunt type of game. Errr

Bring on the Wii! My fiancee loves the Wii because you don't need to know much. You point, swing or click one of the 3 buttons. I haven't played much of the shooters on the Wii but I heard it works pretty well. My friend is addicted to the Link target practice game.

Quote: Curt @ November 30 2008, 11:48 PM GMT

Bring on the Wii! My fiancee loves the Wii because you don't need to know much. You point, swing or click one of the 3 buttons.

The same advanced age that causes me to be confused by 86-button controllers is also a liability when it comes to the Wii. My shoulder was a wreck after a few hours of bowling when the system was introduced a few years ago.

Quote: DaButt @ November 30 2008, 11:52 PM GMT

The same advanced age that causes me to be confused by 86-button controllers is also a liability when it comes to the Wii. My shoulder was a wreck after a few hours of bowling when the system was introduced a few years ago.

lol I hear you man. The same thing happened to me after playing tennis. I couldn't move my shoulder for a few days. I had to switch arms to keep playing. So fun though! I bet the shooters would be fine for our broken shoulders though. Just point and click.....hmmm...I think I'm going to go out and buy a shooter for my Wii now. I haven't bought one yet.